PDA

View Full Version : 1st time turning Lyptus

Robert McGowen
12-10-2007, 9:23 PM
Most of you f--- work guys know that Lyptus is a managed hardwood tree that is super fast growing. I have used it several times for cutting boards, as the end-grain really stands out. It is super dense and heavy also.

11" across and 2" thick, turned on the lathe after glue up. Lyptus tends to splinter, so use super sharp tools and a fairly high speed. Thanks for looking. :)

Bonnie Campbell
12-10-2007, 10:04 PM
That's very good looking! Does it have a foot on it? I like it :)

Skip Spaulding
12-10-2007, 10:24 PM
Seems like a bit of a shame to cut on it. Very nice board, maybe cheese could just set there and age!

Dean Thomas
12-10-2007, 10:48 PM
I agree with Skip Spalting that real cutting on that good looking piece is just about unthinkable. The cheese idea is a good one.

Suggestion: I received a gorgeous handcrafted walnut board a number of years ago as a gift. It had a wooden cheese "knife" as part of the package so that no metal blade would touch the finished wood and harm it. The knife is cool. The "blade" is walnut with really dark cherry "scales". The blade is full tang and it's glued and brass riveted. The board was 5/4 walnut with another piece glued on and carved as a handle. It's a treasure.

Your board is also a treasure. I love the treatment you gave it with careful consideration to grain plus the nifty across the grain stripe pattern, too. Very, very nice design.

Dean Thomas
12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
When you do a rough edged cut-out as you did on the first pic, if your software has a "feathering" command, you might want to use it when you do that kind of an edit. It softens the edge a lot and makes it feel more like it's blended right into the page instead of a harsh or stark defining line.

Play with the amount of feathering. The numbers usually have to do with how many pixels will comprise the feather. If you're editing a 72dpi pic, 12 pixels would provide about 1/6th of an inch of softness. 18 pixels would mean 1/4". The softer edge would make your shot a little more artistic and less mechanical. Airbrushed instead of scissored scrapbooks, if that helps.

Just a thought from years in PhotoShop.

Kevin McPeek
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Looks great Robert. I have been wanting to make some of these, I really like utility stuff. Personally I have to disagree with what was said above, I think it would be a shame for this not to be used. When I give someone a utility piece I'd rather see them use it, than set it aside.

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2007, 11:29 PM
Great looking piece Robert. I really like that wood. Well done.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2007, 11:53 PM
I've read about this type of wood and understand it is gaining in popularity but this is the first time I've seen it. Looks great! Only have to ask one dumb question: What kind of glue did you use?

Alex Elias
12-11-2007, 3:28 AM
Very nice work you got there. I really like it. Beautiful finish.

Tim Gruss
12-11-2007, 6:50 AM
Beautiful wood and excellent execution of the glue up, very nice turning also.Tim

Tony De Masi
12-11-2007, 6:59 AM
Very nicely done Robert. I hope who ever ends up with it uses it as intended.

Tony

Tom Sherman
12-11-2007, 1:44 PM
A very nice cutting board excellent use of wood.

Paul Engle
12-11-2007, 2:30 PM
Robert, very nice indeed, I would use it especally with guests or if it was for some special friends , if it gets too funky just take a quick cut on it and away you go.

robert hainstock
12-11-2007, 2:37 PM
That wood reminds me of some of the more expensive imported hardwoods. The piece is realy beautiful, and i hope useful. I have a teak cheese board that I have used for 35 years with sharp edged steel knives and it still pleases me to get it out of the cupboard and put it to use. So it is your call. Enjoy. :):):)
Bob

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
That is one lovely board, Robert.

Jim Becker
12-12-2007, 1:51 PM
Robert...great piece and very nice material. The look is very rich!