PDA

View Full Version : What to make?

Jake Helmboldt
12-10-2007, 9:00 PM
OK, I need some ideas on what to make with some mahogany I scored. But here is the caveat; it was a mahogany pallet (from Brazil when my ipe decking arrived). So I have some odd pieces of lumber.

2 boards at 39" x 2.5" x 3.5"
3 boards at 10' x 8" x 1/2"

The long boards are partly what stymie me since they will be 1/2" max once planed/jointed. I'm thinking about a small wall cabinet or something that won't require a really robust carcase. I'm also trying to figure out what a good wood to combine with it would be.

So what would you make?

Todd Burch
12-11-2007, 12:31 AM
So what would you make?

I'd make a nice fire in the chiminea.

Todd

Norman Pyles
12-11-2007, 1:54 AM
How about a clock.

Bill Wyko
12-11-2007, 2:39 AM
If it's nice you could make veneers to get more out of it.

Todd Jensen
12-11-2007, 2:47 AM
LOL Todd:D I just had a nice Jatoba bonfire myself. I had big dreams when I stuffed the scraps in the back of my truck with my tools, but unloading it tonight the size of my garage gave my dreams a reality check and I grabbed a lighter and some newspaper and headed for the backyard.:cool:

Charles Harper
12-11-2007, 5:26 PM
I have always found that boxes are great for using smaller quantities of wood.

As to what would go with it, I think ebony, walnut or other darker toned wood might look nice. Maple might be good, too, depending on the texture of the grain and if they don't clash too much.

Barry Bruner
12-11-2007, 5:42 PM
I was attempting to clean out my shop and I also had some mahogney pallets from Brazil and was trying to find a project I could use it on and Andrew Williams posted a fine looking Shaker sewing table. I did my best to copy it and the ones I made look about half as good as his, so I made two of them. I will post the pictures for you later as mahogany pallets. Barry Bruner

Barry Bruner
12-11-2007, 5:50 PM
Jake here is what I did with my mahpgney pallets. Barry Bruner

John Buzzurro
12-11-2007, 6:26 PM
My choice would be some boxes, or a clock.

Bill Wyko
12-11-2007, 6:35 PM
Jake here is what I did with my mahpgney pallets. Barry Bruner
Wow Barry, that's one heck of a pallet. Nice job. Another use if you are a turner is segmented turning.

Jack Camillo
12-11-2007, 6:44 PM
Excellente recycling of good wood! Thanks for the pictures. I, too, would have said boxes with 1/2 inch stock.