PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collection for Miter Saw

Dennis Kelly
12-10-2007, 7:18 PM
Hello!
My miter saw is quickly becoming the messiest tool in the shop. How do you set up dust collection for your miter saw? I currently attach a 2.5" spiral attachment to the dust collection chute which is attached to my shop vac. What I'm finding is that it isn't enough suction and everything around the miter saw is constantly covered in dust.
I, maybe incorrectly, read that your not supposed to use a DC for the miter saw, is this correct? Any help on this topic would be great, maybe even some pictures of your current setup.

Deke Kelly

Jason Roehl
12-10-2007, 7:23 PM
I think that the only way to successfully accomplish good dust collection on a miter saw is to build a quasi-quarter-sphere hood around the back of your saw, with a somewhat funneled chute at the bottom to which your DC is attached (shop vac or DC system). The hood would have to be large enough to encompass whatever hinge, swivel and slide mechanisms your miter saw might have, but still stay out of the way of your fences and workpieces. Trying to attach any sort of chute directly to the saw will likely reduce functionality of the saw and also let some dust and chips get by the chute.

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2007, 7:24 PM
Fastcap has just introduced a hood which is pretty much what Jason describes. http://wwhardware.com/media/products/apcharts/fcsawhood.gif

I've seen it at the local Woodcraft too.

Dennis Kelly
12-10-2007, 7:35 PM
Thanks Jamie,
That is the craziest thing I've ever seen, but it looks like it would work.
Thanks!
Deke

Tom Hamilton
12-10-2007, 9:56 PM
HI Dennis:

You are right, the darn miter saw is a messy tool. I built a box around mine, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=24366&d=1128542503

but only marginal success. Still get sawdust spray on both sides of the blade in front of the fence.

Good luck, Tom

Al Killian
12-10-2007, 9:58 PM
I took the back off a old tv and hooked up a 6" line to it. Iy catches 99% of the dust and chips.

Ben Grunow
12-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Now that is using your head for something other than a hat rack, Al. I can see how the shape inspired you.