PDA

View Full Version : Steinway Piano Finish

Paul Canaris
12-10-2007, 6:25 PM
I am finishing a pair of speaker cabinets made of MDF, and want to put the kind of finish on them that you see on a Steinway piano i.e. Jet black high gloss. Does anyone have any idea of how this is done?

Ken Garlock
12-10-2007, 6:30 PM
Paul, I once saw on TV the building of a grand piano. The final finish was French Polished shellac. The only reason it stuck with me is that, at the time, I thought that it was a rather 'fragile' finish.

Paul Canaris
12-10-2007, 6:36 PM
But I was thinking successive coats of enamel, finely sanded in between, topped off with multiple coats of a glossy finish. I could be way off base here.

Sandra Force
12-10-2007, 6:46 PM
The couple of pieces that I have seen recently with the finish that you want were both done with automotive paint (2-3 coats sprayed) and 3-4 coats of clearcoat with a cut and buff done between the last 2 coats of clear.

Paul Canaris
12-10-2007, 6:56 PM
Would this be similiar to the enamals found in a HD or is this a special type of paint?

Jason Roehl
12-10-2007, 7:55 PM
I would think that the simplest way to achieve that type of high-gloss black finish would be to use a pre-cat black lacquer sprayed on and buff it out after 4-5 coats.

dennis thompson
12-10-2007, 7:59 PM
Steinway has a factory in Long Island City , NY, part of that is a Restoration Center, their phone number is 718-204-3175, why not give them a call and ask them?
Dennis

Paul Canaris
12-10-2007, 9:07 PM
I would think that the simplest way to achieve that type of high-gloss black finish would be to use a pre-cat black lacquer sprayed on and buff it out after 4-5 coats.

Where do you buy something like that?

Paul Canaris
12-10-2007, 9:07 PM
Steinway has a factory in Long Island City , NY, part of that is a Restoration Center, their phone number is 718-204-3175, why not give them a call and ask them?
Dennis

Thanks Dennis, I'll do that.

Ken Garlock
12-10-2007, 9:38 PM
I spend several minutes searching the Steinway website (http://www.steinway.com/technical/lacquer_finish.shtml). I finally found that the Grand Piano made for the US, aka New York version, is finished with Lacquer, and tuned to 440 Hz. The European version, aka Hamburg version, of the grand piano is finished with a Polyester finish and is tuned to 443 Hz.

Paul Canaris
12-11-2007, 5:58 AM
I spend several minutes searching the Steinway website (http://www.steinway.com/technical/lacquer_finish.shtml). I finally found that the Grand Piano made for the US, aka New York version, is finished with Lacquer, and tuned to 440 Hz. The European version, aka Hamburg version, of the grand piano is finished with a Polyester finish and is tuned to 443 Hz.

Thanks Ken, great info!

Jason Roehl
12-11-2007, 7:41 AM
Where do you buy something like that?

Well, one such product I know of (my partner just used some) is Kad-a-lac by Gemini, sold locally at the M.A.B. paint store (now owned by Sherwin-Williams). It's a tintable lacquer that the M.A.B. chemists claim is superior to their pre-tinted black lacquer because the colorants that are added at the store are better.

Anthony Anderson
12-11-2007, 7:51 AM
Paul, Glasurit and Speis-Hecker are automotive finish manufacturers. These two companies produce the "blackest black" that I have ever seen. And no, all blacks are not black. When you compare other blacks to the Glasurit, or even the Speis-Hecker, they have a notice gray cast. It is expensive, but worth the cost.

Roy Hatch
12-11-2007, 8:05 AM
There's a forum at Parts Express where speaker building is the subject. You might find that the guys who spend more time with the finish than the sound could advise you.

www.pesupport.com

This is not to suggest that you haven't already been given some good advice.

Roy

Jamie Buxton
12-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I'd be cautious about expecting MDF to support a high-gloss finish right at the corners. MDF is pretty soft. If it is at corners, they can get dinged pretty easily. With a mirror finish, even a small ding will show. I'd edge the enclosure with something like maple, and apply the finish over it and the MDF.

Jim Becker
12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
I need to add one other caution to this conversation...many of the finishing products being mentioned are not suggested for use without a proper spray environment and personal protection. You don't want to spray them in a typical home shop unless properly equipped. Nasty stuff...

Anthony Anderson
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Jim is correct on this. The odor will permeate throughout your home. I would not spray the finishes I mentioned, unless in a detached shop with proper spray/exhaust and breathing/respirator equipment. Look in the phone book and you may possibly find a collision repair shop that uses these finishes. If so, they may be will to spray the speaker enclosures for a very reasonable cost.

As another person mentioned, the corners on the MDF will tend to chip easily. So this is another point to consider. Consider building them out of birch ply or MDO, which will be far more durable and will paint nicely. Good Luck.

I need to add one other caution to this conversation...many of the finishing products being mentioned are not suggested for use without a proper spray environment and personal protection. You don't want to spray them in a typical home shop unless properly equipped. Nasty stuff...

Ted Jay
12-11-2007, 1:22 PM
I am finishing a pair of speaker cabinets made of MDF, and want to put the kind of finish on them that you see on a Steinway piano i.e. Jet black high gloss. Does anyone have any idea of how this is done?

if your going to do it... do it right:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/Nitrocellulose.htm

all it takes is patience and time, and more time, did I say you'll need plenty of time?

granted the link is about guitars, your doing flat side it should be even easier!!

Howard Acheson
12-11-2007, 2:20 PM
Let me say that Steinway uses multiple coats of tinted and clear lacquer applied over a 3-4 month period. Between coats the finishes are rubbed. I don't recall the number of steps but it was 25 or more as I recall.

Jim Becker
12-11-2007, 2:22 PM
The odor will permeate throughout your home.

It's not just about "odor"...it's about volatile fumes that are dangerous to your health and potentially explosive. Like I said...nasty stuff...but looks great when properly applied!

Ted Jay
12-11-2007, 3:10 PM

Or this:

Creating a Black Piano Finish (http://www.lungster.com/l/speakers/pianofinish.shtml)

Paul Canaris
12-11-2007, 6:13 PM
Wow great help guys, now I need to take some time to digest all of this. Thanks!!

Sandra Force
12-11-2007, 7:49 PM
I will agree that any high gloss finish is fairly fragile on edges and corners. You might look at a decorative edging for the corners.