PDA

View Full Version : any body got some???

TYLER WOOD
12-10-2007, 5:30 PM
I am in need of a huge piece of maple. 14" diameter bowl 4" deep must come out of the piece. I would pay for shipping and the chunk. I have a project the I have been commissioned for. I have already re-designed for segmented if I can't find a blank that large, I just feel the piece would be better suited to solid turning. THANKS!!!

Glenn Hodges
12-10-2007, 5:31 PM
No maple but I have some pretty sycamore.

TYLER WOOD
12-10-2007, 5:57 PM
Well, I'm actually looking for the blandest lightest/whitest wood possible. I thought holly, but not sure how big it gets. Maple was the one that stood out to me, cause I've used it. If it's plain grained, white/ extremely light, holler at me!!

Steve Knowlton
12-10-2007, 6:23 PM
Tyler, I might have a piece of holly that size. I will look when ii get home.

William Bachtel
12-10-2007, 6:37 PM
I have some ruff turned hardmaple, that size, I also have unturned Ash that size A D.

Bill Wyko
12-10-2007, 7:29 PM
Call woodworkers Source in Tucson, ask for Dick and tell him I sent you. I think the number is 520-745-8301. I believe they have a couple pieces that size.

Bob Hallowell
12-11-2007, 6:36 AM
Tyler I have been meaning to send you some anyhow. Let me look tonight If I have anything that big.

Bob

Bob Hallowell
12-11-2007, 6:38 AM
Whoops I just read alittle more of the post. The maple I have isn't bland. let me know if you want me to check.

Bob

TYLER WOOD
12-11-2007, 10:12 AM
Steve, that would be great, just let me know what ya got.

William, what do you mean rough turned on the maple? I really don't like ash, it's to porous. But if it's nice, light and bland we'll see what else comes up.

Bill, will see how this goes, if not, I call.

Bob, if it's not spalted or ambrosia, it might work. I'll let you know. Yeah I need to ship a box of good Texas stuff too. Thanks for reminding me. I'll do it right after the first of the year.

Joel Sauder
12-11-2007, 10:33 AM
Tyler,

Just checked my wood collection. I think I have what you need. I have slab of silver maple about 9 inches thick that I could get a 14inch blank out of. It was cut this summer so it is still wet, anchorsealed with no cracks. The stump that it came off of has had some hidden color, put this piece looks pretty plain. But you never know until you get inside.

I also have a hard maple stump that one side looks plain (the other is figured) that I believe would suit your needs too

Let me know if you are interested. We should talk on the phone and I can send you some digital pictures.

Joel

Gary Herrmann
12-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Tyler, I might have a piece of holly that size. I will look when ii get home.

A piece of holly that big? Wow. Can you post pics please?

TYLER WOOD
12-11-2007, 11:44 AM
I hear ya Garry, I want to see. I always thought that holly was more of a shrub style. Or at least it is here in Texas. Ohh wait all trees in West Texas are shrubs, except cotton wood, willow, mulberry, and elm. Man it sucks being a turner here in WT. The only saving grace if having mesquite, in large quantities.:D

Jon Lanier
12-11-2007, 2:19 PM
I am in need of a huge piece of maple. 14" diameter bowl 4" deep must come out of the piece. I would pay for shipping and the chunk. I have a project the I have been commissioned for. I have already re-designed for segmented if I can't find a blank that large, I just feel the piece would be better suited to solid turning. THANKS!!!

I've got this piece. I'm in Ohio.

http://img67.imageshack.us/img67/7416/maplelogshaul2xx7.jpg

Pete Jordan
12-11-2007, 2:40 PM
Jon,
You still trying to get away with that Pepto-Bismal wood?

Steve Knowlton
12-11-2007, 4:28 PM
Tyler, I Looked At The Piece Of Holly. It Is About 14 1/2" Wide And 10" Deep. I Will See If I Can Get A Picture Tonite.