PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Explorer Honeycomb

Martin Reynolds
12-10-2007, 5:21 PM
Looks like I can get the material for a reasonable price. But the vector table is assembled with epoxy. Anybody tried to disassemble one of these?

My other choice is to make one from honeycomb and U-channel. Pluses and minuses to that!

(if I can figure out to do this, I'll probably have some spare honeycomb in the SF Bay Area).

Sandra Force
12-10-2007, 7:16 PM
Before you do anything I would talk to Mike Null. He has a great grid for sale and he may be able to help you with rebuilding the project.

Don Necaise
12-11-2007, 7:32 AM
Martin
Where is the best place to get some honeycomb for the table?
thanks

Martin Reynolds
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
www.honeycommcore.com (http://www.honeycommcore.com)

Order at least 4 pieces to get a reasonable price.

Disassembly looks nasty. Although the table is held together with screws, it is also filled with epoxy which makes it very hard to take apart. I'll probably have to cut out the core and slice horizontally where it goes into the frame. then the epoxy has to come off. I don't see that it the epoxy is really needed.

(I did talk to Mike, I do have one of his grids but use both of them - his grid is much tougher).

Sandra Force
12-11-2007, 5:00 PM
Mike posted me and said that you need something with no flashback. Have you ever tried the paper honeycomb. Not good for heavy use but is great for things that are running on lower burn through. I don't have any flashback on the acrylic mirror I cut on it. Good luck sounds like a dirty job to redo the table.

Stanley Waldrup
12-11-2007, 8:19 PM
Martin
Where is the best place to get some honeycomb for the table?
thanks

I got mine from mcmaster.com the grid thickness was .003" and works Great.
Stanley