PDA

View Full Version : Leather ideas??

Jim Huston
12-10-2007, 5:01 PM
I just found a source for some leather drop offs in various colors and was wondering if any one had any ideas for products we could sell at our gallery.
I have a few but ALL ideas welcome!
Our site is firebornglass.com
Thanks Jim

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2007, 6:37 PM
I haven't done too much with it.

Thick and stiff makes good key fobs or coasters. If it's thin then bookmarks.
Hopefully someone else has more ideas.

John Lewandowski
12-10-2007, 6:38 PM
You can cut shapes for keychains. Grommets and rings are very inexpensive.

Sandra Force
12-10-2007, 7:10 PM
I notice that you have glassblowing, make the hanging holder for glass balls out of upholstry leather. Do them kind of the same way you do a snoflake but so that the leather is thin and will stretch out for the glass ball and not cover much. Make sure that you have three rings at the top to put the hook in.:D Custom engraved sofa pillows are nice too. Work great to have the customer bring in a favorite photo and put it on the leather for a pillow. Place cards a good too for high end dinner parties. My faovorite though is to get some nice sounding brass bells and mount them on a strip of leather that you have engraved and hang them on the door for a door chime. Hope at least one of those help

Jim Huston
12-11-2007, 8:53 AM
All good ideas!! Would like to have more idesa for larger pices. I can get pieces about 1 foot square from most of the drops.
Thanks for thinking!!!
Jim

Sandra Force
12-11-2007, 5:19 PM
If you have someone who can sew make some photo album covers and engrave the face, you can also do filigree work on them and back them with another color. They are great wedding, graduation, and grandmothers presents. You will be suprised at what they will bring for the investment. I have a friend who does them and the small ones start at $80 and go up. Day planners fit that same bill. Cut a tree from luan and a matching piece from leather to glue to it and hang glass leaves on it for sun catchers. Leather is awesome and you can do so much with it. Is it all upholstery thickness or is some heavier?

Frank Corker
12-11-2007, 6:37 PM
Try inlaying them into acrylic or wood. Makes a fantastic contrast and because the two materials don't naturally go together, a refreshing change.

Jim Huston
12-12-2007, 7:44 AM
Great ideas! It is upholstery material
Thanks Jim