PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman TV Console Plans Wanted

Keith Beck
12-10-2007, 4:32 PM
Well, it appears that our 36" TV is getting ready to call it quits. That being the case, I guess that gives me an excuse to move up to a 52" flat screen. The problem is, we've currently got an oak entertainment center that limits us on the size of TV we can put in it, so I'll have to build a console for the flat screen. I'm looking at doing a craftsman style console similar to the following:

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL371/9505758/17337251/292510743.jpg

Has anyone seen plans for sale for something like this?

Thanks.

Keith

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 5:02 PM
Keith, that should actually be pretty easy for you to lay out without formal plans. Sketch it out with the major dimensions and measure off the carcass for finishing things off. Just think it through and post your ideas here for some additional thinking by others...

Keith Beck
12-11-2007, 4:08 PM
Ah man, you're actually going to make me think?! :eek: What up with that? Well, since I have been able to find any plans, I guess I'll have to resort to just that. This may be a good time to learn Sketchup.

Keith

George Bregar
12-12-2007, 2:29 PM
It's pretty straight forward construction, more important is to draw it out for proportion. But you really could make that piece as wide as you want and it would look great. Here is an A&C corner stand for my lake home...just a old Sony 27" but needed to be tucked tight into the corner to clear that window. We don't encourage TV at the lake but this unit holds a TV, small stereo, and DVR player for those rainy days...

Ron Fritz
12-12-2007, 10:10 PM
Keith, I thought I'd take a stab at drawing the TV console for you. I'm not sure if it's the right size and I didn't really put too much thought on whether the joints were right or the best choice. At any rate, maybe this will give you some food for thought. Good luck. Ron

Keith Beck
12-13-2007, 4:35 PM
Ron,

That's awesome! Thanks alot, you really didn't need to do that, but I appreciate you doing it. Since I'm not very proficient in Sketchup, that'll give me a good starting point.

Man, you just can't beat the generosity of the folks on here!

Thanks again.

Keith

Al Willits
01-02-2008, 2:11 PM
Keith, what I did for the TV stand I'm building now, was to draw it out in full scale on some kraft paper, same stuff I put over my torsion table..just like David Marks does..:)

By laying it out in full size, you get a better picture of what its gonna look like...for me anyway.

I also found a plan that was close to what I was building and modified it, easier for me than to try from scratch.
Good luck.
Al

Larry James
01-09-2008, 4:44 PM
Keith, I thought I'd take a stab at drawing the TV console for you. I'm not sure if it's the right size and I didn't really put too much thought on whether the joints were right or the best choice. At any rate, maybe this will give you some food for thought. Good luck. Ron

Ron, excellent drawing, anyone learning SketchUp can appreciate the time you invested in this drawing.

Very helpful to be able to download a drawing like this, "dissect" it, study the parts, and try to understand the best sequence for drawing/assembling the parts. I'm learning the basic drawing skills, but having a problem with the bigger picture. Truthfully, I have the same problem with real life woodworking projects, so could be a matter of mind set and visualization.

Like the scenes presentation too.

Larry

Chris Merriam
01-12-2008, 1:13 PM
I built the exact same type of console table, not craftsman style though. I used plans from a Woodsmith magazine from Feb 07.

http://www.woodsmith.com/issues/169/videos/etching-glass/

The construction is pretty straightforward as previously posted, rabbets and dados for the main carcass, a 1/4in rabbet for back panel. A 1in thick solid wood top, and a seperately built base a couple inches tall with a slight offset to create a shadow line.

I modified mine to have 3 drawers at the top to hold DVDs, and I needed a very large center cubby to hold my huge center channel speaker.

Cabinet doors were biscuits with a tenon and groove for the panels.

Keith Beck
01-14-2008, 11:25 AM
Chris,

Thanks for the link. I think I could really make that work with a few modifications. Would love to seem some pictures of your finished piece.

Keith

Pat Snyder
01-16-2008, 1:44 PM

This is a great plan. I have been looking for the same setup.
:o

Jay Hart
02-14-2008, 12:12 PM
Hi, I have just joined this forum and am getting my feet wet with Setchup as well. My first post is a procedure question. I would like to download the files of the TV console in this thread but I get a screen that says I do not have permission. What do I need to do?

Ron Fritz
02-14-2008, 7:38 PM
Hello Jay, Below is the reason that you are unable to see attachments in this Project Plan Forum.

From the sticky post at the top of this forum:

"Access to download attachments in this Forum are limited to those who are Contributors to SawMill Creek. Obtaining a Contributors title is done through the "Donate Button" on the blue menu bar at the top of this page, right under your name on the top right side. We are trying to increase the number of Members who provide financial support for SawMill Creek and help keep The Creek free of advertising."

Jay Hart
02-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Thanks Ron. Sounds reasonable. I ordered a hat today.