PDA

View Full Version : Might have found my Unisaw!

Chris Foley
12-10-2007, 4:27 PM
I have a lead on the unisaw below. I don't have the exact model numbers yet. I am going to see it tomrrow hopefully. I am trying to upload a photo now (never done this before). It has an older Beis fence and is 3Hp. It looks like an older model but I don't have the manf. date or the exact model number yet.

**Update**

Model is 34-450
It was manufactured around 1985

Karlan Talkington
12-10-2007, 4:40 PM
Good luck, Chris! Hope the lead proves successful!
Just in time for Christmas ;)

Jim O'Dell
12-10-2007, 8:05 PM
That would be sweet! Hope it works out for you!!
And that Biese fence looks just like the brand new one in the slightly opened box out in my shop.:D I don't think there are any major differences in Bies fences. It is what it is. Jim.

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2007, 8:43 PM
That's not the OEM switch on it. It looks like a house lighting switch. If it is a house lighting switch, it is not designed to handle a 3 hp motor, and is likely to burn out quickly. That's not a big deal. You can buy 3-hp-rated switches for $50 or so from many woodworking catalogs. But it might be a bargaining argument with the present owner.

Ron Williams
12-10-2007, 8:51 PM
It looks like the magnetic controls have been taken off which is a big safety issue and would be expensive to replace

Chris Foley
12-10-2007, 8:57 PM
I noticed the switch already. That is a small thing. I will have to check into the starter circuits.

Thanks for all the input. I am headed out that way after work tomorrow. We will see then.

Chris

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2007, 8:59 PM
McMaster-Carr offers a DPST switch intended for control of a 230 volt 3 hp motor for $28.

Woodworkers Supply offers a magnetic switch for 3HP motors for $65. I believe I've seen similar from Grizzly.

Like I said, it is a bargaining point, not a show-stopper.

Chris Foley
12-10-2007, 9:34 PM
Anyone have the electrical manual for this model??

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2007, 10:23 PM
Anyone have the electrical manual for this model??

There would be nothing in it. The saw has a motor, a switch, and a plug.

My Unisaw, which is a little newer than that one, had a straight mechanical switch. Some time later, Delta started putting magnetic switches on Unisaws. The switch is one specified for controlling 230 volt 3 hp motors. The 230 volt use means that both hots get switched, so the switch is a double pole single throw (DPST). (The standard house lighting switch controls only the one hot, so it is single pole single throw.) The motor spec means that it has to handle a big inductive surge when the motor is turned off, so the contacts are bigger than a house lighting switch.

Ron Williams
12-11-2007, 3:39 PM
I have never seen a Unisaw of the era without a starter control and overload protection

Josiah Bartlett
12-11-2007, 3:57 PM
My 34-450 has the push start-stop switch like Jamie's but they are not mag switches. In fact, I don't think it has any overload protection either. That is definitely the wrong one, but it shouldn't be hard to remedy. You can get a Mag switch from Grizzly or Shop Fox pretty reasonably and mount it to the fence rail, which is a nice safety upgrade. The main reason for the mag switch is that it releases if the saw loses power when the breaker trips, so it doesn't restart until you use the switch.

Bill White
12-11-2007, 4:11 PM
I don't know.......You need to load it up, ship it to my shop, let me test it out for a year or two. I'll certainly let you know how it works.
Bill

Rod Sheridan
12-11-2007, 4:18 PM
Chris, "might have found my Unisaw"??????

Man, you need to clean your shop more often!

Bruce Page
12-11-2007, 5:12 PM
That should clean up nicely with a little TLC.

Chris Foley
12-11-2007, 11:26 PM
Well, this baby has been VERY well cared for. All the surfaces have zero rust. The belts are in great shape, the bearings and shafts all have no play at all. The motor was rebuillt a few years ago. The guy owned a cabinet shop in Fla several years ago and moved to Houston. The mag switch was removed and remote mounted (elimnating the bump to start issue).

I am picking it up on Friday!:D

Chris

Bruce Page
12-12-2007, 2:56 PM
Congrats Chris!

We'll need better pictures. :D