PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Benchtop Planer Tables

John Newell
12-10-2007, 2:50 PM
For those using benchtop / lunchbox planers with infeed and outfeed tables, what have you found best for adjustment? The instructions with my DeWalt 734 say to align the farthest edge of the table level with the platen, but as adjusted from the factory the edges of the tables were noticeably higher (~ 1/8" or more) than the platen. I have been experimenting a little. Snipe seems reduced with the edges level rather than raised, but I would be interested in others' experiences.

Eddie Darby
12-10-2007, 4:38 PM
Some people manually raise the trailing edge up just before the cutter head contacts the wood. Then on the exit,they raise the board again, for the last few inches. This is suppose to help with the fact that only one out of the two roller heads are in contact at the start and finish.

Some prefer that the outer tables do this raising, and so they set their outer tables a little proud of the main table just below the cutter head.

Either will work.

Peter M. Spirito
12-10-2007, 9:18 PM
I don't like the short in and out tables at all. This is a slide in table I use that is clamped to the existing in and out tables. I now have one long flat surface about 60 inches long. I can run a 48 inch board thru hands free. Go to my web site and click on "in the wood shop" for more of my projects and a look at the shop. www.peterspirito.com (http://www.peterspirito.com)