PDA

View Full Version : Encoder Strip Problem-Epilog

Phyllis Meyer
12-10-2007, 2:07 PM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had to replace the encoder strip? We have done everything possible, and we are on our 2nd x-axis motor and belt. We have cleaned the encoder strip until we are blue in the face, mirrors... Nothing got done over the weekend, we have wavy text and graphics on every piece. Still waiting for tech support. If anyone here has an idea...it would be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Bruce Volden
12-10-2007, 3:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone had to replace the encoder strip? We have done everything possible, and we are on our 2nd x-axis motor and belt. We have cleaned the encoder strip until we are blue in the face, mirrors... Nothing got done over the weekend, we have wavy text and graphics on every piece. Still waiting for tech support. If anyone here has an idea...it would be very much appreciated!

Sincerely,
Phyllis

The encoder strip is "read" by a contrast sensor?? anyway the strip sits inside a groove that determines the location. I had a dirty strip and a "hairball" wadded up inside that groove. A little compressed air and a swipe with lens paper and I was up and going. Try this! It's not high tech-it's fuzz.:p

Bruce

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2007, 3:25 PM
I have. I have also gone through two x motors, but when they died it was obvious, not an engraving quality issue. When the encoder went I was able to get by until the replacement arrive by switching it end-for end. There are more wires in the cable than used, so if you do that it's using different ones.

If that solves the problem then you need to order a new one.

Phyllis Meyer
12-10-2007, 3:34 PM
Thanks Bruce and Joe for responding! Tech support just called and he explained all about that grove thing. I am working on taking the reader head thingee off (notice how high tech my words are)!

Thanks so much!
Phyllis:)

Brian Robison
12-10-2007, 3:35 PM
Don't confuse encoder strip with the ribbon cable.
The ribbon cable can be swapped end for end, the encoder strip can't. Yes I had to replace a ribbon cable.
Fixed the problem.
Wavy lines were from a dirty encoder, just use some Windex on it but be careful, it's fragile.

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2007, 4:38 PM
Don't confuse encoder strip with the ribbon cable.
The ribbon cable can be swapped end for end, the encoder strip can't. Yes I had to replace a ribbon cable.
Fixed the problem.
Wavy lines were from a dirty encoder, just use some Windex on it but be careful, it's fragile.
Correct, I should have specified that I meant the ribbon cable, my symptoms were the same and it was the cable not the actual encoder strip.

Garry McKinney
12-10-2007, 5:19 PM
Phyllis,

There is only one flaw we have found with ours. The air tube was disrupting the movement. Acted like a motor and caused wavy lines across the machine. I ended up changing the way it was designed to stop the issue. I welded an extra length on the cover to keep the air line from dragging on the edge.

Took care of our problem.

Stephen Beckham
12-10-2007, 7:49 PM
To second Garry's comments - I've had problems with the air tube before as well. You can disconnect it and leave it off to the right to see if you have the same waves. If it doesn't fix the problem....

Even if it doesn't fix it and if it is dragging, you can put an extra twist or two in it to make it more springy (I use big words too)...

Otherwise - did tech support have to check the tension on the X-axis cable? They have self tension spring on the far left - if it's too tight or loose, it will cause some issues.

Good luck!