PDA

View Full Version : What is a 'netural cure' caulk for glass sidelights

Dave Sinkus
12-10-2007, 2:02 PM
I am installing insulated glass into a new entry door frame. the glass supplier said to use "neutral cure silicone" to glaze the windows. This would help to preserve the seal on the double pane glass.

couldn't find any at the BORG......any one know of a brand name or type to look for?

Chris Padilla
12-10-2007, 2:15 PM
Not to sound trite but did you ask the glass supplier?? :)

Jamie Buxton
12-10-2007, 2:20 PM
Here's one. It says neutral cure buried way down in the text. http://www.amazon.com/UltraGlaze-Silicone-Structural-Glazing-Sealant/dp/B000KZYJC0

Dave Sinkus
12-10-2007, 2:21 PM
I just shook my head and walked out the door..:( I see some from DuPont and GE, but could not find them at Lowe's.....

So I was wondering if I missed it reading a label

Matthew Voss
12-10-2007, 3:32 PM
Dave-

Neutral cure silicones will cure at very cold temperatures, even below 32 deg F.

Neutral cure silicones are not "acid curing" like all other silicones, so they are used by tile and natural stone installers. A masonry dealer may be a good place to try besides the glazier.

Dow Corning makes this as well as GE (Jamie's link). You're not going to find this in a home center. The amazon link is a good price - I've seen them for @ $26/tube if you can wait for it to ship.

Dave Sinkus
12-10-2007, 4:21 PM
I found some sites......I was figuring it wuodl be easiest to shop online.

I appreciate the feedback