PDA

View Full Version : Woodworker's Book Club

Jeff Watson
02-19-2004, 1:28 PM
I am about to pull the trigger on joining the woodworker's book club. Their offer seems to good to be true, is there anyone out there who has had experience with them?

Thanks

Larry Browning
02-19-2004, 2:47 PM
I am a member and have really liked them. When I joined they didn't have web site, but now you can decline the current selection without using a stamp. Also, after you satify the minimum book requirement and you don't order a book for a while, they stop sending the automatic order stuff and then you can just order what you want without having to decline the main selection each month. Also, if you prepay your order, shipping is free. If you are wanting to expand your WW'ing library, this is a good way to do it.

Jim Stastny
02-19-2004, 3:16 PM
I was a member. Their initial offer cannot be beat. However, I didn't think their regular prices were much to brag about. Though, they did offer some really good specials. I figure I'll wait a few months, then rejoin. So, in a nut shell I definately endorse them.

Rich Tesoroni
02-19-2004, 3:17 PM
I joined it a couple of months ago. Being able to decline on the web site makes things easier. Ordered a book with a sale they had recently. If you pay with a credit card while ordering (rather than them billing you later) there's no shipping charge.

Seems to be going OK. Just make sure you decline if you don't want something.

Rich

Steve Beadle
02-19-2004, 4:24 PM
I too jumped at the chance to get several books at such a great price. And I like being able to decline books and place orders on-line. My chief regret, however, is that there rarely seem to be any new books that are in my area of interest. Maybe I'll have to expand my areas of interest??

Mike Evertsen
02-19-2004, 4:48 PM
if you call and request they will put you on the do not autoship list,,,,

Robert Ducharme
02-19-2004, 4:59 PM
What is the link to the site so I can join if I want to?

Jeff Watson
02-19-2004, 5:13 PM
Well I did it, went ahead and joined. For less that $20 it isn't that much of a gamble. The only negative I see is their selection is kind of limited. The web address is www.woodworkersbookclub.com.

Thanks for the replies

Dan Stuewe
02-19-2004, 7:55 PM
Just wanted to throw in my two cents...

I've been a member for a couple years now, and the on-line ability to decline is great. Here's just a couple observations...

1. Don't expect the book quickly, it takes a few weeks (at least) in my experiance.

2. They are very forgiving about returning books. I have to admit to taking too long to return a book, but they have always taken the book off my account.

3. This isn't really to them, but I have found that several of the books that I've bought (and kept), aren't nearly as good as what I expect out of some magazines (specifically products from August Home). WWBC sells from most if not all of the common publishers, but they really push the books from Popular Woodworking, and I have been pretty disappointed by these. There just seems to be no discusion of modifications. Its basically here is a method and here are 10 similar projects using that method.

Ok, I've vented enough.