PDA

View Full Version : Basic ?: Getting started with Bowl Turning

Mark Gordon
12-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Hello All-

I have a basic question: I have some experience with turning, mostly spindles, table legs, baseball bats, ETC. I want to start bowl turning, but I have no experience, and trying it uneducated seemed to be a mistake (several catches, almost injuries.)

What would you guys suggest as the best way to start: Take a woodcrafter's course, find a turning group and ask for a lesson, or get s video.

I have a standard set of tools, a Jet 14 x 36 lathe, and all fingers.

Thanks

Neal Addy
12-10-2007, 12:05 PM
The answer is yes to all of the above. Whatever you have time and funds for will pay off in the end.

A class on bowl turning at WC would be a good start. I'd also get one of Bill Grumbine's DVD's. They give you a good introduction into the obsession.

Kevin McPeek
12-10-2007, 1:00 PM
One of the biggest mistakes is people using a spindle roughing gouge to rough out a bowl. Make sure to use a bowl gouge. I'll second the Grumbine videos, I have seen quite a few videos and I think that was the most helpful to me. All of your other ideas are valid as well. And remember it was just firewood when you started!

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2007, 1:05 PM
I agree all of the above. Bill's DVD's are great. He takes you thru and shows each cut several times from different angles.

Alex Elias
12-10-2007, 1:45 PM
Also you need bouwl gouges

Ben Gastfriend
12-10-2007, 3:17 PM
I second the don't use a roughing gouge idea. Ouch. It bent in half... good thing it was only a cheap closeout one for 3 bucks at PSI.

I bought a 1/2 bowl gouge and ground the two wings back on either side so they don't catch as often.

Mike A. Smith
12-10-2007, 3:45 PM
Mark, I think whatever training you get is a matter of preference and what you're comfortable with. Please note all of the advice above to get a bowl gouge. I started out with a bowl gouge and this forum. (OK, OK, before anyone else says it: "IT SHOWS!") I've got some more tools, but no formal training and only the videos I've found on-line. I do have one of Richard Raffin's books but I'm not sure it was any help in getting started (although it has been since). I think you can safely start with this as I did, beyond that it depends on how far you want to take it.

Greg Just
12-10-2007, 4:35 PM
I might suggest the local library for books and or dvd's. Our library actually has a couple of woodturning dvd's that were free for a week.

Gordon Seto
12-10-2007, 5:13 PM
Find a local club:
AAW Local Chapter Listing - The American Association of Woodturners (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List)
They usually have books and DVDs for members to borrow for free. They may also have some almost free hands-on lessons. It beats trying on your own.

The next best thing is Bill Grumbine's 1st DVD "Turned bowl made easy" which has been mentioned before. Our Club has a very good collection of turning videos. I have almost seen them all. IMO, this is the best for beginners on bowl turning.

I recommend all of the above. Stand clear of the firing line and have fun.

Gordon

Glenn Hodges
12-10-2007, 5:22 PM
Amen to all of the above. If you had posted where you live some of us would have probably offered to help. I am teaching someone now to turn bowls that was only turning spindles previously. I am able to do this because of my posted address on this forum.

Mark Gordon
12-10-2007, 8:42 PM
Wow- Thanks for all the replies, I hadn't looked at the thread in almost 4 hours. I also thought that my location was shown somewhere: I live in Tampa, FL (yeah, it gets hot here)

I think that a class and a DVD are in order next. I have two bowl gouges, but I'm glad that everyone pointed out the differences.

I'm the kind of learner (poor) that responds best to hands on, so I think that a local club or class would be best to start, and then on to DVDs and expensive wood.

Thanks again,
Mark

Amen to all of the above. If you had posted where you live some of us would have probably offered to help. I am teaching someone now to turn bowls that was only turning spindles previously. I am able to do this because of my posted address on this forum.

Doug Thompson
12-10-2007, 8:53 PM
I'm the kind of learner (poor) that responds best to hands on, so I think that a local club or class would be best to start, and then on to DVDs and expensive wood.

A class will give you a jump start and save many hours trying to learn on your own. Expensive wood... save your money, I shop only at the finest city dumps in the area!

Dan Forman
12-11-2007, 1:53 AM
I found a link to this site somewhere, and it has some very good basic info for both bowl and spindle turning. http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=nick+cook+wood+turner&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Dan

Dean Matthews
12-11-2007, 9:27 AM
I vote for the class. I took one over at woodcraft and it was a lot of fun. Not only did I learn a lot but I met a guy that I now constantly bug with questions. =) And he answers!!!!

My first two tools were a 3/8" bowl gouge and a parting tool. I have been adding from there. Someone told me that you can do spindles with a bowl gouge but you can't do bowls with a spindle gouge. Works for me... Heck... i still prefer to use my bowl gouge for making pens than my spindle gouge.

I would also recommend that you invest in a curved tool rest. I do not have one (yet) and it has made turning the inside of the bowl nightmarishly scary at times.

Gordon Seto
12-11-2007, 11:38 AM
Expensive wood... save your money, I shop only at the finest city dumps in the area!

It will be kind of expensive initially if you don't already own a chain saw and comfortable using it. If you are not, it is cheaper and safer to get some at your club meeting raffle table. Don't worry, someone at your Club would help you spend your money on a chain saw and a pointer or two on using it.
The SPF (Spruce Pine Fir) from big box store is excellent material for learning. They are likely to chip out, tear out and chatter if you don't handle them correctly with sharp tool and cutting in the correct direction. An excellent tool that would let you to compare the results from different approach.

Gordon