PDA

View Full Version : delivery of a Griz G0586 8" jointer

Matt Ralston
12-10-2007, 11:56 AM
So I splurged on an early Christmas present of a Grizzly G0586 jointer. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited to get it into the shop.

Which leads me to my question; how do I get it into my shop? I'm in a one car garage about 25 feet from the street. I have a lift gate truck coming to deliver. Can any of you who have gone through this give me an idea what to expect, and maybe what dollys, carts, etc, would make this thing easier to lug into the garage?

I understand that it's in two pieces (a box and a crate). I have a mobile base, and could probably come up with some furniture dollys if that would help.

Suggestions?

thanks all

Matt

Greg Cole
12-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Matt,
I took delivery on mine at work with loading dock & forklift.... I moved the 2 crates home in the back of a pick up truck. Unloading heavy items from a pick up, I use some 2X4's and a piece of plywood screwed to them to make a quickie ramp... the entry to the garage has a@ a 1" lip to keep water from entering etc... I cut a birds mouth on the 2x's that are on the bottom of the ramp. The birds mouth keeps the ramp from sliding with the load.
Successfully moved my TS @ 500 lbs, G0586 jointer @ 450 lbs and bandsaw @ 400 lbs this way & done so solo err.. with a 5 or 6 year old boy helping.:D
You will need help lifting the jointer cutter & beds onto the base, or simply remove the beds if you're a one man show like me... I didn't mind removing the beds as it gave me a chance to become familiar with the parts n pieces ya need to adjust eventually or initially depending on luck off the assembly line.
You could make up a quick "appliance" dolly from some 2X's and larger diameter casters-wheels if you have any... larger diameter will roll better with heavy weights & over bumps etc. Slide off liftgate & onto the dolley...?
What to expect.... a solid performing machine that you'll soon really like a bunch!
Don't forget pics....

Greg

Eric DeSilva
12-10-2007, 12:46 PM
One of the features of the Grizz site I really like is that their product spec sheets actually give you details on the boxes you get:

Shipping Dimensions:
Carton #1
Type.............................................. .................................................. .................. Wood Crate
Content........................................... .................................................. ...................... Machine
Weight............................................ .................................................. ...................... 435 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ ......................................... 26 x 80 x 15 in.

Carton #2

Type.............................................. .................................................. ...................... Cardboard
Content........................................... .................................................. .......................... Stand
Weight............................................ .................................................. ....................... 123 lbs.
Length/Width/Height............................................ ......................................... 24 x 25 x 18 in.

Wish more companies would do that...

Sean Kinn
12-10-2007, 12:49 PM
Is your driveway paced or stones? I've heard several reports of them wheeling it right into your shop when you get the liftgate service. This of course assumes that the dolly/pallet jack they bring can roll on your driveway. Of course, depending on your driveway configuration and the truck they bring they may be able to back right up to your door.

Eric Garner
12-10-2007, 1:05 PM
Technically they just have to drop at the street, but they dropped my Grizzly G0490 8" jointer in my garage. They used a pallet jack and pulled in down my driveway from the street. They did the same for my G0453 15" Planer and G0514X2 19" Bandsaw.

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 1:11 PM
They did the same for me as Eric, they used a pallet jack and wheeled my G0490 into my garage.

Matt Ralston
12-10-2007, 1:58 PM
thanks for all the replies.

Driveway is only about 25 feet, but up a slight slope, and will likely be covered in 4-6 inches of snow. Adding to the fun is that it's not a solid drive, but only a "two track."

I'm thinking furniture dollies are my best bet, and if need be, i'll be in the street removing the tables.

thanks again.

Dave Dye
12-10-2007, 2:23 PM
I just got mine Friday, brought it home, my wife and I got the smaller box off without any problems, I got my neighbor and his son, the four of us lifted the head unit off in the box, then lifted the head itself onto the base. It will be a lot easiers to put together if you have help. You need to be a contorsionest (sp) to bolt-up the motor mount once you put the belts on. They should have used carriage bolts, not bolts have have to be held on both ends.

Have fun, you'll love it once it's together.

Dave

Mike Marcade
12-10-2007, 2:39 PM

Driveway is only about 25 feet, but up a slight slope, and will likely be covered in 4-6 inches of snow. Adding to the fun is that it's not a solid drive, but only a "two track."

I'm thinking furniture dollies are my best bet, and if need be, i'll be in the street removing the tables.

thanks again.

Just put some tire chains on that pallet jack and you'll be all set. :D

Don Bullock
12-10-2007, 6:56 PM
They did the same for me as Eric, they used a pallet jack and wheeled my G0490 into my garage.

That's the same kind of service Igot from the FedEx ground driver who delivered my G0490. If he hadn't I would have to have rented a pallet jack. The package was far too heavy and big for anything else.:eek:

Lee Koepke
12-10-2007, 7:29 PM

thanks again.
i took delivery of my 1023 TS at the office onto a 5x8 trailer w/tailgate. Hand rolled the trailer to the basement, then lifted it from the pallet to a homemade furniture dolly. It worked real well with only 2 people.