PDA

View Full Version : protection for cast iron

Zahid Naqvi
12-10-2007, 10:47 AM
I have been celaning and restoring a few items this weekend. Many of which have cast iron componants. Ever since someone recommended citric acid it has been my primary method. But after you take the tools out of the acid bath and clean them up the flash rust attacks instantaneously. Now some componants (such as a sliding bevel) had to stay shiny metal so that one is easy, clean with steel wool and paste wax. How about things that have japanning, with voids. I have been using a couple of coats of 2# cut shellac on those, but I know there might be other options.
My biggest headache right now is a saw vice, which I can't disassemble fully so it has several nooks and crannies which are hard to reach. Should I spray paint it, shellac, wd-40??????????

mike holden
12-10-2007, 11:18 AM
Zahid,
Boeshield T-9 was developed for storage of rustable material, so would be my first choice. HOWEVER, DO NOT USE NEAR ANY ANODIZED PARTS! It will eat the anodizing. Not sure how fast, but used it on my iceboat skates one year for summer storage - next fall the anodizing looked like it had the pox! The actual blade area was in great shape but the sides were ugly - had to wirebrush them off.
Mike