PDA

View Full Version : The new lathe is here! The new lathe is here

Raymond Overman
12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Estes delivered my new lathe this morning and the guy was nice enough to use his pallet jack to pull it all the way to the back patio. I was able to shoot a couple of pictures.

Now all I need to do is get the old one out of the way and get the new one out of the box and set up. Maybe I’ll find 15 minutes this afternoon to take care of it.

I'll post more pics of the progress when I have a chance to get it out of the box.

Brian Weick
12-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Now all you have to do to verify the gloat is get it out of that tan box-:D Nice lathe Ray - hope to see the pics of it all set up!
Brian,

Tony De Masi
12-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Congrats Raymond. Look forward to see what you and she can make together.

Tony

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2007, 10:41 AM
Congrats Raymond! I can't wait to see what beautiful turnings you make with that new tool!

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2007, 11:00 AM
Congrats Raymond..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Progress pics will be expected. :D

Paul Heely
12-10-2007, 11:05 AM
Congrats Raymond. Can't wait to see what you and the new tool turn out.

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 11:26 AM
Ya mon! Congratulations!

Don Orr
12-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Hey Raymond, a truck, a box. Is there actually anything in that big old box? You know how they are around here with pictures.:eek::D

Congrats on the lathe. I'm sure you will enjoy it very much.

Mike Vickery
12-10-2007, 12:02 PM
Congrats Raymond.

David Fried
12-10-2007, 12:11 PM
So close and yet ....

If you want to get this done in 18 - 24 months we can send Ken down to help!

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2007, 1:30 PM
Congrats Raymond. Now progress reports.

Alex Elias
12-10-2007, 1:43 PM
Well well you did wait for the weekend. Congratulations. It will take you more than 15 min though. Enjoy

Bill Wyko
12-10-2007, 1:48 PM
Good going Raymond. I look forward to seeing some work rolling off that bad boy.

Paul Engle
12-10-2007, 2:18 PM
Raymond, when will you have time to turn with all these threads to read ???:eek:, the anticipation must be unbearaaaaabbbleee ...:D

Raymond Overman
12-10-2007, 2:55 PM
Patience is a virgin (because I've never used mine).

I guess I'm no Ken either because three hours forty five minutes after signing the receipt, the lathe is in my shop, wired and running. I'll have to wait until this evening to take it on it's maiden voyage.

It wasn't too hard to get it put together by myself after removing the headstock, tailstock and tool rest from the ways and hauling it up the hill one piece at a time. Wiring was simple since my other lathe had 220V already run. I had my plug ends ready and just connected two hots and a common on both sides. Black, white and green and we were good to go.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2007, 2:59 PM
Congrats Raymond! Let the fun begin!!!

Barry Stratton
12-10-2007, 3:18 PM
Congrats Raymond! I can't wait to see what beautiful turnings you make with that new tool!

CONGRATS Raymond!!!!!! Can't wait to see it in action.

Any bets Raymond makes curlies before Ken?????

Dan Forman
12-10-2007, 4:19 PM
Well, looks you didn't waste any time. Have lots of fun with your new toy.

Dan

Ken Fitzgerald
12-10-2007, 4:42 PM
I'm sure glad there's no charge for the harrassment I get around here!:D

Tom Sherman
12-10-2007, 5:06 PM
Congrats Raymond, good to see your making progress.
PSST...Ken this is how it supposed to be done including pictures.

Dale Gregory
12-10-2007, 7:12 PM
Patience is a virgin (because I've never used mine).

I guess I'm no Ken either because three hours forty five minutes after signing the receipt, the lathe is in my shop, wired and running. I'll have to wait until this evening to take it on it's maiden voyage.

It wasn't too hard to get it put together by myself after removing the headstock, tailstock and tool rest from the ways and hauling it up the hill one piece at a time. Wiring was simple since my other lathe had 220V already run. I had my plug ends ready and just connected two hots and a common on both sides. Black, white and green and we were good to go.

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Congrats Ray! Now I know what to look forward to on Weds. Heck, it looks like the lathe comes all together and bolted to the skid??? If that's the case, I'll need to disassemble it to get it into my basement and put it back together. How hard was it to move was the ways section (looks like the worst/heaviest section)? My basement shop area is about the size of your area...nice and cosy. Only issue I have with my area is it's also the laundry room. So I will have to make sure there are no clothes hanging when I'm turning or sanding or else I'll be hearing from the LOML. I've got a barn on my property but it's not heated and anything you put there will rust in no time, so the laundry room/water heater will have to share the area with my lathe. Where there is a will there is a way. Glad it all went well for you! Look forward to seeing some of your turnings. Dale

Raymond Overman
12-10-2007, 9:23 PM
Dale,

You won't have any problem at all. The legs are not on the ways and the headstock, tailstock and tool rest slide right off with minimal fuss. Each piece is easily handled with a light hand truck. There is a stop screwed into each end of the ways to keep you from going too far with the headstock but they were easily removed and less than hand tight. There are two 1/2" lags that hold the ways to the pallet but a socket wrench makes quick work of them.

As for assembling, four hex bolts and washers each hold the ways to the legs. There is an allen wrench included and the legs are tapped so it makes quick work of it. The headstock and tailstock slide back on easily enough and the wiring is fairly straight forward if you're familiar with 220V.

If you have an extra hand to help hold things while you're lining up it's easily a 30-45 minute job. Otherwise, it'll take a little longer. Good luck.

Dale Gregory
12-10-2007, 10:29 PM
Thanks Ray for responding back so fast. Helps me out quite a bit.:)

Dale

Bill Wyko
12-10-2007, 11:11 PM
Alright Ray, whats gettin chucked up first? Post a pic of the piece of wood before and after if you have time.

dennis kranz
12-10-2007, 11:50 PM
It looks good just to see the box sitting there. Congrats.
Dennis

Tony Wheeler
12-10-2007, 11:53 PM
congrads on the new mayo

Raymond Overman
12-11-2007, 12:03 AM
Well this one was a collaboration of the old Delta and the new Jet. I had started trying to rough this one out and core it on the delta but I tore the tenon off of it.

Tonight I re-turned a new tenon and finished coring the small center out of this piece of osage. The McNaughton was a dream to use with the 2HP pushing the blank.

I'm not 100% about how this bowl turned out. It's a little heavy for my taste but I was running out of time and wanted to finish something tonight. Overall it turned out ok and my new lathe is definitely a keeper. Thanks for all the comments guys.

Critiques welcome.

Osage Orange
8 1/4" diameter x 4" tall
MS/BLO/VAR mix

Steve Schlumpf
12-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Once again - Congrats on your new lathe! The osage bowl looks great. I like the heft to it - wouldn't want to have every bowl wafer thin! Looking forward to seeing what the new lathe unleashes in your turnings!

Tim Gruss
12-11-2007, 7:16 AM
Your a very lucky person Raymond, I just wish it were me.:D Good luck with that new lathe.

Steve Busey
12-11-2007, 8:25 AM
She's a beauty, Raymond. Looks a little cramped in that picture, though - ten pounds of lathe in a 5 pound shop?! Happy turnings!

Raymond Overman
12-11-2007, 9:03 AM
She's a beauty, Raymond. Looks a little cramped in that picture, though - ten pounds of lathe in a 5 pound shop?! Happy turnings!

Well Steve, to quote Mary Poppins, "Enough is as good as a feast." I have another annex to the left of that photo that is twice the size. I will tell you that it's easy to keep warm with a space heater in the winter and cool with a fan in the summer since it's so small.

Pete Jordan
12-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Nice bowl and congrats on the Lathe!

Remember to go in the house once in a while to say hi.