PDA

View Full Version : Business name ideas

Michael Bareno
12-10-2007, 10:15 AM
Hi,
My business partner and I are currently thinking of our business name so that we can have our business logo designed.

However, we are not sure whether the term 'engraving' describes all that can be done with a laser engraver. We would like a name that is not immediately associated to trophies or awards only, while there is so much more that can be done with a laser.

Anyone has dealt with this dilemma before?

Mike

P.S. Thanks for everyone posting on this forum, there is a wealth of information for those of us starting a new business.

Scott Shepherd
12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Kind of depends on what you plan to do. Will you be doing things that were commonly "engraved", will you be making "Signs", will you be doing crafts?

My guess is the name should reflect what you plan to do. No sense in naming it "Michael's Engraving" if you plan on doing commercial signs. What are your plans for the laser? What market will you be going after?

Michael Bareno
12-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Scott,
Thanks for the quick reply.

Some more info:
We just bought a used Epilog Mini 18 35 watt and it should be arriving sometime this week. Our workshop should be ready when the laser gets here. We are based on the island of Aruba, population approx. 100,000.

The way our business plan is set up, we will be doing anything from engraving small items/souvenirs (dogtags, keychains, frames, stamps) to 'larger' items like awards, glass, tile, marble, wood engravings. However, we would also like to approach the local oil refinery for any instrument panels and parts (gaskets, seals, etc).

In any case, we would focus on some primary on awards, souvenirs and custom engravings (ipod, phones, etc) but we would like our customer to be aware that we are able to do much more than just basic engraving.

While "Michael's engraving" is too specific, I would think something like "Engraving and more" would be too vague. And I think a catchy name would help business a bit.

Mike

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2007, 1:07 PM
Check and make sure you can get a .com after it, what ever you decide.

Barbara Buhse
12-10-2007, 1:17 PM
I did it backwards, but try this... write an "about us" for your future web site... just by resding your short description it isn't as easy as you think. After describing what it is you do, then you'll have a better idea how your name should reflect that.

Joe Pelonio
12-10-2007, 1:24 PM
Agreeing with the others, you might even wait to register the business name until you see if there's a good website name available for it. if not, maybe a word or two changed will get you the domain name that matches the business name.

I had my name well before I got the laser, and am primarily a sign business so that was not an issue, but I do use "Laser engraving/cutting" a lot.

If you are focusing on awards and souvenirs the something with "recognition services" might be good, but add a tagline that is more descriptive. One well recognized category you will be in is "advertising specialties."

Mark Winlund
12-10-2007, 2:00 PM
Don't try to be all things to all people. I pretty much stick to awards and very little else. The term "engraving and awards" prtty much covers it.

Mark

Marc Myer
12-10-2007, 2:38 PM
And you may want to feature the word 'laser' prominently. When I say "engraving" people's eyes can glaze over, but "laser" implies high-tech and more possibilities.

Luke Phillips
12-10-2007, 4:13 PM
How 'bout "The Lasered Edge" ?

Tom Winters
12-11-2007, 10:55 AM
How 'bout "The Lasered Edge" ?

hmm.... that sounds like a good name.... i think i have heard of something like that before..... but where..?..... ;):D

Luke Phillips
12-11-2007, 11:15 AM
Oooooops! yes, Tom, I thought it sounded familiar too - hey, but Michael is going to open in Aruba - maybe you can work out a deal for a trip to the sunny Carib!

Michael Bareno
12-11-2007, 1:57 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys, I will be putting a couple of name ideas down this week and discuss these with my partner. And as soon as we have that set, I will register the domain name and start with the logo design, from there I'll go to businesscards, promo items, etc (hopefully creating some of these with the laser)

Oh yeah Luke, if anyone wants to come down to Aruba and show me the tricks of the trade, we should be able to reach an agreement, haha!

Thanks again.

Mike

Luke Phillips
12-11-2007, 2:02 PM
You've got a deal! For now, keep reading and posting your questions to the Creek. You'll find a lot of answers and lots of folks that are eager to help.