PDA

View Full Version : Two Quick Festool Questions

Don Bullock
12-10-2007, 10:14 AM
I need the following information:

1. Will regular sanding disks that I bought for my Bosch 5" sander fit the 5" random orbit sander ES 125 EQ?

2. Will I be able to hook the 5" random orbit sander ES 125 EQ to the 2 1/2" hose tp my Dust Deputy?

Thanks for the answers. My Bosch 1295DVSK just died for the second time since I bought it in May with very limited use.:mad: I'm very frustrated with it and am thinking of making the change to the Festool sander, but I'm low right now on cash for shop tools.

Tim Sproul
12-10-2007, 10:24 AM
1. Will regular sanding disks that I bought for my Bosch 5" sander fit the 5" random orbit sander ES 125 EQ?

Yes, but at the least, there won't be the center hole like there is in the Festool specific papers. The center hole is what makes the Festool sanding system work so well because air is moved out the center hole and into the outer holes. This helps with dust collection and heat reduction.

2. Will I be able to hook the 5" random orbit sander ES 125 EQ to the 2 1/2" hose tp my Dust Deputy?

Sure. You may need to get some sort of adaptor but I'm sure you can hook up just about any hose. Be sure the adaptor is tight-fittting. It is a real PITA to continually have the hose falling off.

Sidenote. IMO, I find the 6 inch 150/3 sander to be well worth the additional cost. The 150/3 is smoother and faster but leaves just as fine a surface as the 125. If you are getting the 125 because you're often doing a lot of vertical surfaces, then stick with the 125. If you are using this sander for surface prep of new projects, get the 150/3 if your budget allows. If the budget doesn't allow, the 125 is still a fine sander.

James Phillips
12-10-2007, 10:29 AM
Yes the disk will fit but have no center hole so dust collection will suffer. The sanders come with a starter pack of paper.

I personally disagree about the larger sander. I have small hands so the small sanders are better for me.

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Yes, but at the least, there won't be the center hole like there is in the Festool specific papers. The center hole is what makes the Festool sanding system work so well because air is moved out the center hole and into the outer holes. This helps with dust collection and heat reduction.

Sure. You may need to get some sort of adaptor but I'm sure you can hook up just about any hose. Be sure the adaptor is tight-fittting. It is a real PITA to continually have the hose falling off.

Sidenote. IMO, I find the 6 inch 150/3 sander to be well worth the additional cost. The 150/3 is smoother and faster but leaves just as fine a surface as the 125. If you are getting the 125 because you're often doing a lot of vertical surfaces, then stick with the 125. If you are using this sander for surface prep of new projects, get the 150/3 if your budget allows. If the budget doesn't allow, the 125 is still a fine sander.
I would think twice about getting the 150/3 for the sole sander in one's arsenal. When I bought my 150/3 I mistakenly thought that it would be the end-all of my sanding needs. Although a fine finish sander, it is painfully slow to go from the planer to finish top-coat. I have been so frustrated with it that I had to dig out my old Mikita ROS to do the courser grits for me, which defeats my original purpose for dust control.
Needless to say, I am now looking for another Festool sander to compliment my 150/3. I just might have to give the Rotex another look-see.:rolleyes::)
Gary
I just re-read original post and I think the

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 11:37 AM
My experience with the 150/3 is the opposite of Gary...it's my go-to sander for nearly everything and it's performed extraordinarily well. I only pull out the Rotex when I need to deal with very rough starts, such as with a rough-sawn slab.

On the hookup to the DD...suggest you also buy the Festool hose which on the business end is pretty easy to adapt to other vac setups. On the tool end, you want the rubber Festool connection as each tool has a different port configuration.

Don Bullock
12-10-2007, 6:45 PM
Thank you all for your answers.

I guess I should have asked question #1 differently. It looks like the holes on the Festool paper are closer to the edge than those on the Mirka paper that I bought for my Bosch sander. Since I have several hundred of them, I was hoping that I could use them up if I went to Festool.

Thanks for the opinions on the 150, but I was trying to use up all the disks that I have without spending more cash on paper right now. So, how much paper does the 150/3 EQ come with if Idecide to go with it? :confused:

I sure hope that Santa heard my plea for money, not clothes this year.

Rob Blaustein
12-10-2007, 8:05 PM
I think the 150/3 comes with only a few sheets. I can't give you exact figures since I never keep track of stuff like that but the Festool paper lasts much longer than the ones I used with my Makita 5" ROS. The design of the sander, particularly when coupled to the vac, ensures that less dust is around to wear out the paper. And the paper is not really any pricier than other brands. Some dealers (I think Bob Marino does this) will let you split packages of paper. I once split a few packs of different grits with another creeker and that worked out well.

Jason White
12-10-2007, 8:08 PM
As I recall, Festool makes a pad for sandpaper that does not have the hole in the center (although you really can't beat the Festool paper -- it lasts longer and cuts better than anything else I've used).

JW

I need the following information:

Thanks for the answers. My Bosch 1295DVSK just died for the second time since I bought it in May with very limited use.:mad: I'm very frustrated with it and am thinking of making the change to the Festool sander, but I'm low right now on cash for shop tools.

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 8:37 PM
You could also make a punch out of some pipe to knock out the center of the existing abrasive sheets...and then switch to the Festool abrasives when your stock is used up.

John Stevens
12-10-2007, 9:44 PM
When I bought my 150/3 I mistakenly thought that it would be the end-all of my sanding needs. Although a fine finish sander, it is painfully slow to go from the planer to finish top-coat.

I guess it depends on the planer. My 150/3 works so well I sold my Rotex and haven't missed it.