PDA

View Full Version : This isn't round yet... Except for the big buldge on one side

Tim Brooks
12-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Score! My boss just brought me a nice chunk of spalted water oak and oh my goodness does this thing have some figure to it! The hair on my neck stood straight up when he opened the box. :eek: I will try to post some pictures tonight when I get home.

My question is this: The tree was originally downed back in February '07. It has been sitting on the ground since then. He cut the large knot off the trunk this past weekend. Do I have to wait any longer before I use it? It is my guess that if I have to wait to use it, I must seal it but I would love to cut some of it up now and use it for some Christmas gifts. What should I do? I don't want it to split once I turn it.

Ben Gastfriend
12-10-2007, 5:10 PM
If you want to turn dry, you'll have to wait a year per 1 inch of thickness. Some people (not me) have luck turning green and thin, the thing drys fast and warps into a cool shape, and others (not me) have luck rough turning green, and putting in a paper bag to gradually dry before re-turning.

On the other hand... if you have access to a kiln... well, probably not, but if so, I bet somebody here could help you with kiln drying wood.

Glenn Hodges
12-10-2007, 5:18 PM
Jump on it now.

TYLER WOOD
12-10-2007, 5:24 PM
Water oak is horrible stuff. I will dispose of the shavings, I mean the wood for you!!!:D