PDA

View Full Version : Filling out your profile

Kurt Strandberg
12-10-2007, 8:48 AM
Just curious as to why some people do not fill out there profile. I know some people do not like some personal information online and you can leave your email and city you live in out but maybe at least fill it out with the state and a little about yourself,

I don't want to open a can of worms just curious

Mitchell Andrus
12-10-2007, 9:52 AM
Just curious as to why some people do not fill out there profile. I know some people do not like some personal information online and you can leave your email and city you live in out but maybe at least fill it out with the state and a little about yourself,

I don't want to open a can of worms just curious

Most (by far) come to ask a few questions and leave. I do it on other forums when I need help with some HTML, etc. Others just don't find value in telling the tale and leave it blank.

David G Baker
12-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I find the lack of information amusing especially in the classified section or when writing about the local weather.

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 10:18 AM
Not a major reason by any margin, but a few come here after being banned by other sites. Don't want to leave any "tracks"
Gary

Clint Jones
12-10-2007, 10:23 AM
Not a major reason by any margin, but a few come here after being banned by other sites. Don't want to leave any "tracks"
Gary

Hey you found out my secret :p

Al Willits
12-10-2007, 10:32 AM
While I could see not putting your home address or phone number I can't understand why you wouldn't put a city or worse case state down.

People ask questions or would like to see how some tools work, or get some help doing something or a host of other things, and there may be someone down the street or at least in driving distance that could help, but they'll never know it.

Seems to be enough helpful people on this list that a person could help someone else and maybe meet a new woodworker that putting some info down would be well worth it...??

People tha put stuff up for sale with out a location I've just gotten to ignore.

Al

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 10:45 AM
Honestly, I suspect that in many cases, at least initially, folks don't enter the information because they don't know how or that they should. Nature of the beast...

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 10:59 AM
While I could see not putting your home address or phone number I can't understand why you wouldn't put a city or worse case state down.

People ask questions or would like to see how some tools work, or get some help doing something or a host of other things, and there may be someone down the street or at least in driving distance that could help, but they'll never know it.

Seems to be enough helpful people on this list that a person could help someone else and maybe meet a new woodworker that putting some info down would be well worth it...??

People tha put stuff up for sale with out a location I've just gotten to ignore.

Al
Your right Al....every once in awhile I'll see someone post and see that they are just a few towns away. So it makes you wonder how many others that could be near you who don't tell their locations.
Gary

Bruce Page
12-10-2007, 2:49 PM
Honestly, I suspect that in many cases, at least initially, folks don't enter the information because they don't know how or that they should. Nature of the beast...

I'm sure that is part of it but we have some members that have 2500+ posts and all they show is N/A.

Heather Thompson
12-10-2007, 3:29 PM
I'm sure that is part of it but we have some members that have 2500+ posts and all they show is N/A.

And I will say, 2600 plus posts, please do not post about internet scams here, trying to steal your money, thieves live amongst us. Cover your tool roles at night and be careful of who is in your shop :D.

Heather

David Duke
12-10-2007, 6:59 PM
And I will say, 2600 plus posts, please do not post about internet scams here, trying to steal your money, thieves live amongst us. Cover your tool roles at night and be careful of who is in your shop :D.

Heather

Call me slow...........finally figured what you were talking about :eek::eek: .

Chris Padilla
12-10-2007, 7:11 PM
I've found out the hard way to not post so much personal info on the WWW. If you've ever been bitten by it, you'll understand why some folks prefer not list too much about themselves. I do not blame them one bit. I've found even using my real name to cause issues but everything's cool...again...for now.... ;)

Kurt Strandberg
12-10-2007, 7:58 PM
I've found out the hard way to not post so much personal info on the WWW. If you've ever been bitten by it, you'll understand why some folks prefer not list too much about themselves. I do not blame them one bit. I've found even using my real name to cause issues but everything's cool...again...for now.... ;)

I do agree with you, but I do find it interesting reading some of the profiles and seeing what some of your occupations and hobbies are, and seeing if anyone is close to where I live.

And like Bruce said with some having over 2000 posts and no profile filled out, it's just nice knowing something about a person with that much knowledge and information.

Al Willits
12-10-2007, 10:34 PM

Well I don't hink we need SS numbers, phone, address or drivers license number, just even a state would make it better, or a city close to the one you live in.

Point in case would someone who needs to have some lumber planed and doesn't have a plane, if we knew where they lived someone might offer to help them..?

If you don't need or want any inner action with other members, then I can see not putting any info.

Al

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Call me slow...........finally figured what you were talking about :eek::eek: .
I guess I'm slow, too.:confused::confused::confused:
Gary

David G Baker
12-10-2007, 11:27 PM
I guess I'm slow, too.:confused::confused::confused:
Gary
I am getting slower by the minute. It went "WAY" over my head.

Peter Stahl
12-11-2007, 9:05 AM
I like reading the post and all the help I get. I'm not one of those people who are looking to meet people in person. Don't do much real woodworking these days, just a matter of time before I start up again though. I'm the President of the local procrastinators club... we should have a meeting some day soon!:) Also I don't post a picture of myself, you guys should thank me for that! Picture I'm using now is my little buddy, a 11 year old Jack Russel Terror (not a typo).

Chris Padilla
12-11-2007, 4:37 PM
Well I don't hink we need SS numbers, phone, address or drivers license number, just even a state would make it better, or a city close to the one you live in.

Point in case would someone who needs to have some lumber planed and doesn't have a plane, if we knew where they lived someone might offer to help them..?

If you don't need or want any inner action with other members, then I can see not putting any info.

Al

My issue stemmed from two things:

(1) Using my real name and
(2) posting where I work

So you don't necessarily need those items you posted...the above two were PLENTY for me at the time to cause me, uh, heartburn and so I now tend to not share as much as I used to.... Once bitten, twice shy as the saying goes....

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2007, 7:34 PM

Al
I totally agree. Even if you are captured by the enemy you still have to give your name , rank and serial number. Nobody is asking for addresses, serial numbers, telephone numbers or street address. Heck you don't even have to give your town. Maybe just your state and say something like Southeast, Massachusetts.
I mean how many secret agents do we really have on a woodworking forum? If your picture is on the Post Office wall...no problem...don't post an avatar picture.:eek::D

Gary

John Schreiber
12-11-2007, 8:05 PM
I hadn't thought of it for all the years since I signed up. I went and updated mine based on this thread. Thanks for the reminder.

BTW I did once have a fellow creeker call me on the phone based on my name and city. It kind of shocked me, but was very helpful. Some questions are best explained out loud rather than with a posting.

Chris Padilla
12-11-2007, 9:33 PM
....don't post an avatar picture.:eek::D

Gary

Hmmm, where's your avatar, Gary? ;)

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2007, 9:51 PM
Hmmm, where's your avatar, Gary? ;)
:oMine looks alot like Peter Stahl's above us:rolleyes::eek::D
Gary

David G Baker
12-11-2007, 10:13 PM
I also updated my profile based on this thread after giving it some thought. Thank you Gary

John Schreiber
12-11-2007, 10:20 PM
:oMine looks alot like Peter Stahl's above us:rolleyes::eek::D
Gary
Gary, No need for you to post a picture. After the "discussions" we've had a couple times, I've already got a picture of you in my head. I'm sure it's not quite right but I was wondering: Do people confuse you with Yosemite Sam?:D

I'm not nearly as good looking as the guy in my avatar.

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Gary, No need for you to post a picture. After the "discussions" we've had a couple times, I've already got a picture of you in my head. I'm sure it's not quite right but I was wondering: Do people confuse you with Yosemite Sam?:D

I'm not nearly as good looking as the guy in my avatar.
ROTFLMFAO....When I showed my wife your post she laughed like crazy. I asked her what she was laughing at and who the heck is this Yosemite fellow. She said it was a cartoon character and googled up his picture.
Well, I can only wish I was as handsome as he is.:eek::D
Gary

Lee DeRaud
12-12-2007, 12:27 AM
BTW I did once have a fellow creeker call me on the phone based on my name and city.Hmmm...I wonder how many Creekers I hung up on, thinking they were telemarketers. :eek:

I mean, really, with a name like mine, it's not like I can hide...

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Hmmmmm....N/A......Must stand for North Arkansas. :p :D

Dennis Peacock
12-12-2007, 10:48 AM
ROTFLMFAO....When I showed my wife your post she laughed like crazy. I asked her what she was laughing at and who the heck is this Yosemite fellow. She said it was a cartoon character and googled up his picture.
Well, I can only wish I was as handsome as he is.:eek::D
Gary

ROFL!!!! http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g69/sawdustar/emoticons/hilarious.gif