PDA

View Full Version : Firgure out date furniture

Al Killian
12-10-2007, 2:39 AM
I ofthen refinish and repair broken furnitur for pepole. I average around 14 peaices per year. Ofthen someone will have hole old it is? Well, Sometime if you look at the style of it, it narrows it down. Then you look at the jointery and see if that can tell you anything help. Next is the screws and or nails used. ARe the flat head or phillips? What type of glue was ued on it.

I have been doing this for a few years now and have a really hard time trying to figure out the dates of some due to not haveing a style that points to a certant era. So, Where do you find info on all this stuff to help gain better understanding? Flat heads faded out in the late 50's? Hide glue? The start of pocket hole screws? I dont care if the ideas are web pages or book. I need to start reading up on this so I can grow better and inform cleints better.

Michael Hammers
12-10-2007, 12:26 PM
Al,
I would start by going to Barnes and Noble or Amazon book section and just search for books under antique furniture. You will get alot of hits and also be able to read feedback from folks who bought the book. With the title you can go to a local library or order for yourself. Lurking and searching under keywords on this site will also get some great info.
Paruse the web searching under whatever your looking into i.e. hide glue will bring up oodles of info.
Good luck and happy research!