PDA

View Full Version : Eucalyptus bowl

Mike Vickery
12-10-2007, 1:58 AM
This is about 11 x 2.5 inches. Finished with Watco Danish oil and buffed just with the first wheel. The wood is some type of Eucalptus not sure exacty what species. The cracks are filled with stone chips.

The tree came from an old dairy farm accross the street for my house that is getting developed. I have to say I hated woorking this wood. I have never seen wood that wanted to move and crack so much before, and it does not cut very well. Pretty wood but next time one of these go down my chainsaw is staying in the garage.

Critiques are welcome. When I use feet on my bowls I usually use really small feet, but the foot on this one is a bit wider then I normally use.

Tom Sherman
12-10-2007, 2:31 AM
Mike, in spite of the problems you had this one looks cool.

Dan Forman
12-10-2007, 3:43 AM
Quite handsome really, lovely grain.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
12-10-2007, 8:41 AM
Beautiful bowl Mike! To look at it - you would never know you had any problems turning it. Nice form, lovely grain and color and I like your use of stones to fill the cracks! Seriously, nice work!

Greg Just
12-10-2007, 4:32 PM
Nice bowl - I was giving about a cord of unsplit eucalyptus firewood and what a mistake that was - it was the toughest stuff to split even with a gas powered log splitter. Not surprised to hear it is tough to turn.

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 5:04 PM
Lovely piece, Mike. The inlay really works with that grain, too...

Alex Elias
12-10-2007, 7:21 PM
at least you came up glorious and have a great piece to show for. What is the fun of it if there is no story behind the piece?
Congrats

Bernie Weishapl
12-10-2007, 7:53 PM
What a great looking piece. Turned out really beautiful Mike.

Brian McInturff
12-10-2007, 8:07 PM
Mike, I've looked at that bowl several times now. I just never new Eucalyptus could look so good. Also, what type of stone did you use and what binding material(Epoxy, CA, etc). Thanks, Brian

Mike Vickery
12-11-2007, 2:17 AM
Thanks guys I appreciate it.
Brian, they are inlace stone flakes and they are just sold as "Mossy Green" so I am not sure what kind of stone they are. They were glued in with CA glue.

Martin Braun
12-11-2007, 11:42 AM
Mike - I had talked to Mike Lucckino (sp?) and he suggested boiling as a way to help stabilize. I had a similar fight with red gum Eucalyptus from the BTA. Based on my experience with red gum before that, it takes 2-3 years of drying the blank before it will stop moving and checking while it's turned. Even then there is still some movement after it is turned. I have not tried boiling it yet (though I don't have any wet Eucalyptus either).

Mike Vickery
12-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Mike - I had talked to Mike Lucckino (sp?) and he suggested boiling as a way to help stabilize. I had a similar fight with red gum Eucalyptus from the BTA. Based on my experience with red gum before that, it takes 2-3 years of drying the blank before it will stop moving and checking while it's turned. Even then there is still some movement after it is turned. I have not tried boiling it yet (though I don't have any wet Eucalyptus either).

I am aware of the boiling method but I have never considered it seriously since I do not want to mess with setting it up. This piece was dried for about five months and did not seem to move while final turning. If anything it seems like if lost its moisture faster then a lot of the wood I work with. I have a couple more pieces that survived drying that I will finish but in the future I just don't think the wood is worth the trouble. So unless I am hard up for wood (which I usually am not) I will pass next time.

Good to hear from you, I have not heard from you or seen you at the meeting for a while now.

Kevin McPeek
12-11-2007, 12:54 PM
I'm not sure what I think of this bowl. The form and thickness all look good, and knowing you, the finish is great. Seems like the foot is proper size to me. Maybe my hesitance is coming from knowing what a PITA this stuff is.
I think you did a great job on it Mike, even if you are a glutton for punishment.