PDA

View Full Version : Barstools by coving on the table saw

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 8:55 AM
I made these barstools a few years ago...by coving on the tablesaw. This in response to a question posted about how to make cove molding on the tablesaw....The process would be the same...the molding is easier since this requires several resettings of the fence. Eack time you make a pass...flip the board around since it is symetrical. So you essentially only reset for half the profile. After the long extrusion is cut it is sawed into seperate pieces for each stool.

John Miliunas
02-19-2004, 8:58 AM
I made these barstools a few years ago...by coving on the tablesaw. This in response to a question posted about how to make cove molding on the tablesaw....The process would be the same...the molding is easier since this requires several resettings of the fence. Eack time you make a pass...flip the board around since it is symetrical. So you essentially only reset for half the profile. After the long extrusion is cut it is sawed into seperate pieces for each stool.

Pictures, Mark. We NEED pictures! :D :cool:

Ahhhhh...That's better! Hey, them are neat! I've done the TS trick for dishing out a cove for a plate rail, but never considered doing the same on such a large scale. OK, need to store this one in the old gray matter! As usual, Mark, clean, siimple lines, great mix of media and beautiful execution! Ahhh, one of these years.... :rolleyes: :cool:

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 9:46 AM
john....look again ...now you don't see it now you do!

James Carmichael
02-19-2004, 10:04 AM
There was an excellent article about this in a recent issue of Fine WW.

Glenn Clabo
02-19-2004, 10:14 AM
Hey...where's the beer? A bar without beer is like a bed without a pillow.

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 10:21 AM
How do you like that....I have been using my bed incorrectly for years...I'll post a diagram on CAD...wait till I tell LOML

Daniel Rabinovitz
02-19-2004, 12:02 PM
Mark
Quite a slick way of doing what you did.
Very slick!
Daniel :cool:

Chris Padilla
02-19-2004, 12:18 PM
Frank Klauz III put out a simple pamphlet with all sorts of cutting profiles for cove cuts on the table saw.

If I can remember, I will take a pic of the pamphlet and post how you can order it. It was something like $12 and handy to have.

There are 4 chief ways to get various profiles when cutting coves on the TS:

(1) Height of the saw blade
(2) Angle to the saw blade
(3) Tilt of the saw blade
(4) Ride one side of the board up higher

(1) and (2) are the most common ways.

Thanks for the post, Mark. Hopefully my memory won't fail and I can add to it.

Jamie Buxton
02-19-2004, 1:21 PM
As usual in woodworking, there's lots of ways to do the same thing. I've made similar shapes using a router jig. Maybe my method requires less sanding after the carving. Also, my approach doesn't require carefully changing the tablesaw height after each pass.
You know the router jig for flattening large slabs? You make a bridge that rests on some reference surface, like your workbence. The router runs back and forth on the bridge. You put the slab down on the workbench, put the bridge over it, make a router pass, move the bridge a little, make another pass, move, pass, move, pass, etc.
To make shapes like your seat, make the bridge ride on curved rails instead of the flat benchtop. You can make any profile you'd like for the rails. To make your concave seats, the rails would curve down in the middle. I've made drawer fronts for a bowfront cabinet by making the rails bow up in the middle.

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 4:57 PM
Jamie,
Can you submit a picture of the jig and the finished piece....it sounds interesting?

John Miliunas
02-19-2004, 5:20 PM
Jamie,
Can you submit a picture of the jig and the finished piece....it sounds interesting?

Jamie, ditto to what Mark said. It DOES sound interesting. Let's see MORE! Please? :cool:

Dean Baumgartner
02-19-2004, 8:17 PM
Someplace on the web I found a neat little program that tells blade height, blade angle and fence angle for making any type of cove that can be done on the table saw.

If anyone wants to take a look at it PM me and I'll send it to you

Dean

Mark Singer
02-20-2004, 9:11 AM
Dean,
It is pretty intuitive...if you draw the profile on the piece...you start slowly from the bottom working your way up and across...you just stop wfen you hit the line. It actually goes fast and is easy to control.

Aaron Koehl
02-23-2004, 9:52 AM
Mark,

Sounds like a great candidate for an article in our
<a href="http://www.sawmillcreek.org/forumdisplay.php?forumid=13">Articles Forum</a>!

Send us an email if you're interested-

_Aaron_