PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for a motor...

Bryan Berguson
12-09-2007, 9:06 PM
This has absolutely zero to do with woodworking but given the vast number of people here I'm thinking somebody might have the answer.

The motor I'm looking for is about the size of a hockey puck and is used in a "Christmas Magic Winter Wonderland" built by Trendmasters Inc. in China of course. Which, is an ice skating rink that has magnet skaters on it. I wouldn't give a rip about it except that it was my late father in laws and it's just one of those things that means a lot to my wife so... I'm trying to fix it.

The motor is the size and shape of a hockey puck. 12 volt motor. I can't remember the part number but when I looked last year for that part I came up empty.

I'd appreciate any help or ideas you might have.

Bryan

M Toupin
12-09-2007, 9:37 PM
I'm sure there are other sources, but something like this might work, it's 110v, 9 RPM. Fishing rod builders use them to spin the rod slowly while the epoxy on the wrappings dry.

http://shop.mudhole.com/s.nl/it.A/id.9953/.f

Mike

Bryan Berguson
12-13-2007, 11:04 PM
Mike,

That looks really close but they don't have any dimensions. I guess I'll have to give them a call. Thanks a lot!

Bryan

M Toupin
12-14-2007, 10:28 PM
It's about 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" or so in dia and about an inch or so deep (less the shaft). It's also 110v which may or may no be a problem. I think you;ll have a heck of a time finding a drop in replacement, but you should be able engineer something to get it working again. Think outside the box, maybe a new base or some other non-visible modification will get it going again.

Mike

Bryan Berguson
12-20-2007, 9:20 PM
Mike,

I think you're right about not finding an exact replacement... current size is 1 7/8 across by 1 deep. I think I could "rig" it to make the 110v work, the size will be a little more difficult especially if the shaft size doesn't match up, which it probably won't. For the 9 bucks or whatever it was, the winding motor may work and I may give it a shot. It's faster at 9rpm vs the 5/6 that I have now so everybody will move a little faster! I appreciate you finding it for me.

Bryan

M Toupin
12-20-2007, 9:29 PM
The shaft may not match, but the speed might not either. I'd think you need a fairly slow speed, even the 9rpm might be too high. I'm thinking along the lines of maybe some shop made pulleys with a rubber band belt to get the proper speed. A piece of Plexiglas or thin wood cut with a hole saw would work, chuck it up in a drill press and sand or file a groove in the edge for your belt. A couple of drops of super glue should hold everything together. Just throwing out some ideas, you'll undoubtedly need to do a bit of re-engineering. Good luck with it.

Mike

Michael Gibbons
12-21-2007, 5:54 AM
Mike,

It's faster at 9rpm vs the 5/6 that I have now so everybody will move a little faster! I appreciate you finding it for me.

Bryan

One word-Speedskating!:D