PDA

View Full Version : Making Cove Molding

John Seutter
02-19-2004, 6:59 AM
I am in the process of making an entertainment center. I want to make the cove molding that goes around the top. Can anyone give me any advice or direct me to an article about making it on the table saw (I have access to alot of Wood and Woodsmith issues).

Thanks,
John Seutter

Tyler Howell
02-19-2004, 7:03 AM
I am in the process of making an entertainment center. I want to make the cove molding that goes around the top. Can anyone give me any advice or direct me to an article about making it on the table saw (I have access to alot of Wood and Woodsmith issues).

Thanks,
John Seutter

The Micro Jig DVD has an interesting segment on coved molding.
Satisfied customer.

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 8:15 AM
I have done a lot of coving on the tablesaw. My son posted a bowl that he made by this method on SMC. I helped him with the set up. You remove the fence , guards , splitters etc. Then make a "channel" using a double paralllel fence...you will need clamps to secure the fences. The fences would be set apart the width of the stock.The fence channel runs on a diagnol and over the blade. The angle chosen sets the width of the cove. With the blade starting at table heigth passes are made rasing the blade a 16" each pass.The movement of the piece over the blade is at a skew but in the general direction on normal cutting on the tablesaw....NOT THE REVERSE!! For the final passes...only a 32". A smaller diameter blade also changes the pattern. If the fences are moved and re-clamped the cove can be widened doubled or the profile made comlpex. I made some barstools this way ....I can post them to show an example. When you finish on the saw...a circular , or compass plane (not a real common tool in most shops)or sanding to remove the saw marks.

Here is Ryan's thread showing his coved bowl:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?threadid=5752

Keith Starosta
02-19-2004, 8:26 AM
John,
The description that Mark gave was great. Here is a link that gives a pretty decent visual representation of the process:

http://www.binkyswoodworking.com/CoveMouldingTip.htm

Also, I know I have a document that I downloaded from some site that gives you a ton of different setups for the channel. By changing the angle of the channel, combined with the angle of the blade, you will get a different look on the cove. If I find it, I'll let you know.

Keith

Roger Myers
02-19-2004, 8:40 AM
Tony Leonards cove cutting program - from back in the badger pond days, is located on the badger pond archives at woodcentrals forums....you should be able to download it from there. I've used it several times. There were several Fine Woodworking articles over the years, including cutting more complex shapes...variables include the angle of the fence, the height of the blade, and the angle of the blade.

I recently cut a lot of coves in Cherry for a bookcase and the process went very well....go slow! stay aware! take small cuts!! I finished by using hand scrapers on the cove (curved scraper) which went very fast and then just minor sanding. Picture of the coves follows...
The top of the case had a fairly shallow cove and the shelf had a deeper cove (leaves a narrower face) pic is not the greatest, but you should get the idea...

Roger

Mark Singer
02-19-2004, 9:09 AM
John,
Check my barstools I just posted there are a couple of diagrams I included because John Milunas gets a little pushy...since Valentines Day....its a long story...

John Miliunas
02-19-2004, 9:30 AM
John,
Check my barstools I just posted there are a couple of diagrams I included because John Milunas gets a little pushy...since Valentines Day....its a long story...

Oh, so now I'm "pushy", huh? You just wait..... :D :cool:

James Carmichael
02-19-2004, 10:06 AM
There was a great article about this in a recent issue of Fine WW (Taunton). Will check which issue tonight and post.

John Seutter
02-20-2004, 6:42 AM
Thanks for the replies on this and on the bar stool post. I looked at the links and got several ideas on how to make. There is a good program on the old Badger Pond archives that will calculate the angle and depth of cut for making the molding.

Thanks again,
John Seutter