PDA

View Full Version : buying tools from canada,customs---akeda jig

John Pohja
12-09-2007, 7:44 PM
Anyone out there have experience with buying tools from Canada,in general, or more specifically buying an Akeda dovetail jig? I was all ready to pull the trigger on an Akeda jig and the checkout page informs me that I'm responsible for any: "border fees,customs duties,import duties,etc" and that they "will prepare any necessary documents for cross border shipments." Is this just standard lingo of no importance, or is this a potential problem? Any Akeda owners out there that could speak to this? Thanks, John

John Lucas
12-09-2007, 8:09 PM
SO why not buy it from Woodcraft...no problems.

John Pohja
12-09-2007, 8:38 PM
SO why not buy it from Woodcraft...no problems.

John, It doesn't appear that Woodcraft---or anyone else, other than the parent company---is selling the 24" jig. John

mike holden
12-09-2007, 8:45 PM
John,
Are you so far away from the Canadian border that you cant go to Canada and bring it back? If you spend 48 hours there, you can bring back ~$700USD worth of goods back, duty free. If you have it sent, then you will have to pay duty. Check with US Customs Agency to see what it would be.
Even if you cant go to the source, I am sure they would ship it to a hotel in Canada in your name, you go, spend a couple days relaxing and enjoying the sights, then come home with your new jig.
Mike
I live in SE Michigan and regularly travel to Canada on business. Usually day trips though, although sometimes overnights.

Mike Henderson
12-09-2007, 8:52 PM
I've bought tools from Canada and have had no problems. If the tools are made in Canada, they should come in duty free because of NAFTA (I think - ask the company).

Customs is hit or miss. Even stuff made out of Canada (my experience is with Pfeil carving tools made in Switzerland but ordered from a Canadian company) most times comes in without them touching it.

My guess is that they say that to cover themselves in case you do get hit by customs.

Mike

Mark Carlson
12-09-2007, 9:54 PM
John,

You can get the 24in model at this site, thejigstore.com. I think its located in WI.

~mark

Never mind, I see the Canada address also.

mike holden
12-10-2007, 11:12 AM
Mike,
Unfortunately NAFTA applies company to company, not company to end user.
As US citizens, we can only buy so much duty-free per trip; amount is based on time spent in the foreign country.
I pass thru London, Ontario often, and almost always stop at the Lee Valley store! Although with the weak dollar, it is cheaper to mail order from them.
Mike

Greg Sznajdruk
12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
When we purchase tools in the US and it is for noncommercial use there is on duty on the tool. This applies to tools made in the US, however it seems that Customs has more important fish to fry so even tools not made in the US have not had duty applied. Don't know how this works in US but do know lots of tools from Leevalley go to US.

Greg

John Pohja
12-10-2007, 7:37 PM
Thanks for all your replys. I found out today that although Akeda is in Canada, they have an American company marketing the jig in the US; so the jig actually ships to me from the US. John