PDA

View Full Version : Flattening luan ply?

Charles Wiggins
12-09-2007, 4:33 PM
I have part a sheet of 1/4" luan ply that I was going to use in a project, but I had been storing it on edge, behind some other sheet goods, and apparently, it didn't have enough weight against it, and it's bowed across the width like a boat hull. To try and flatten it, I have had it bridged on 1 bys with weights on top of it for about a day and a half. So far it seems to have taken about half the bow out. Should I spritz it with water to loosen the skin up?

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 4:36 PM
I don't think the bonding of the sheets on luan will take to water very well. It may not have an effect now but down the road they may seperate.

matt norton
12-09-2007, 9:38 PM
Hey Charles, they glue that luan is made with is not effected by moisture at all, we use it in the marine application often. That being said I dont think you will ever totally flatten it once it has bowed, you might get it close but not perfect,, good luck ! Matt

Travis Porter
12-09-2007, 9:52 PM
I would venture to guess you bought it at Lowes or Home Depot. The last I bought there bowed horrendously in a matter of a couple of days all 10 sheets of it. Going forward, I will be steering away from their luan.

Howard Acheson
12-09-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey Charles, they glue that luan is made with is not effected by moisture at all, we use it in the marine application often. That being said I dont think you will ever totally flatten it once it has bowed, you might get it close but not perfect,, good luck ! Matt

How do you know that? Unless the plywood is marked as being made with exterior adhesive, it isn't. Almost all the consumer grade luan is interior grade, not exterior.

matt norton
12-10-2007, 8:29 PM
How do you know that? Unless the plywood is marked as being made with exterior adhesive, it isn't. Almost all the consumer grade luan is interior grade, not exterior.

I say that because we have been using luan which is actually a low grade mahogany from south America , in applications which constantly see very high moisture levels, I have not seen any try to come apart. Most of which came from the local borg.. Matt