PDA

View Full Version : Finished Project - Cherry Bed

Jeff Norri
12-09-2007, 3:40 PM
I have wanted to build a bed for a while and finally got around to doing it. This bed is Cherry, Walnut and Birch - finshed with oil, varnish and wax. Now I have to build the rest of the bedroom set - then sit back and watch this cherry age!

Thanks for looking.
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7143&stc=1&d=1197232528

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7144&stc=1&d=1197232540

http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7145&stc=1&d=1197232549
http://www.canadianwoodworking.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7146&stc=1&d=1197232560

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 4:27 PM
Looks nice. What parts are cherry, which are walnut and which are birch? I love the colors.

Claudio Olivas
12-09-2007, 4:39 PM
Very nice work Jeff.

Steve Mellott
12-09-2007, 4:41 PM
Jeff:

I plan to build a bed early next year. Did you use both a box spring and mattress or just a mattress? Thanks.

Steve

Charles Wiggins
12-09-2007, 5:07 PM
I have wanted to build a bed for a while and finally got around to doing it. This bed is Cherry, Walnut and Birch - finshed with oil, varnish and wax. Now I have to build the rest of the bedroom set - then sit back and watch this cherry age!

Jeff,

Very nice. You should be quite proud.

However, is it a Queen size? If it is, I would STRONGLY suggest that you add a leg under the middle of that center rail. I worked delivering bedroom furniture for 2 1/2 years. With every one of our mattress vendors, putting a queen size set on a frame with no center support voided the warranty - with good reason. I hauled off one set with almost 2" of sag in the center, and it was only about a year old.

Bob Feeser
12-09-2007, 6:47 PM
Looks nice. What parts are cherry, which are walnut and which are birch? I love the colors.
The bed is cherry, the plugs are walnut, and the tenons are birch...:D Just kidding, I didn't bulid it obviously, so I do not know, but what I do know is that the cherry is a very high grade. Congrats in the selection of some very nice cherry, and for a project that is superbly proportioned and designed. Its comforting just to look at it, I can't even imagine how it would look with some great fabric.
My hats off to you.

Jeff Norri
12-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will add a center foot as it can't hurt and sounds like it would be a good idea.

As for the wood, sorry for the confusion, the bed is 99 percent cherry. The pins are walnut and the centre beam and cleats are birch.

The bedding doesn't photograph well, but it is very nice fench linon with lace accents. Having said the my wife is getting new bedding for christmas. My wife likes the bed enough, that I know have to make some nights stands to match, a dresser and rip out the carpet and put in hardwood.

John Thompson
12-09-2007, 10:57 PM
Nice look with clean lines, Jeff. I love it! But...please take Charles W.'s advice and add the center rail leg. You won't regret it if you do... but I bet ya will if ya don't.

Sarge..

Norman Pyles
12-09-2007, 11:51 PM
Beautiful bed you made, sleep well.:cool:

Jeff Norri
12-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Jeff:

I plan to build a bed early next year. Did you use both a box spring and mattress or just a mattress? Thanks.

Steve

a box sprign is hiding in there somewhere;)

Jeff Norri
12-09-2007, 11:55 PM
Jeff,

Very nice. You should be quite proud.

However, is it a Queen size? If it is, I would STRONGLY suggest that you add a leg under the middle of that center rail. I worked delivering bedroom furniture for 2 1/2 years. With every one of our mattress vendors, putting a queen size set on a frame with no center support voided the warranty - with good reason. I hauled off one set with almost 2" of sag in the center, and it was only about a year old.

Thanks for the advie - can't think of a reason not to add one, and it will take about 5 minutes to make, so I will add one for sure.

Peter Stahl
12-10-2007, 7:44 AM
Great looking bed Jerry. If I wasn't such a procrastinator I'd think about making one!:)

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Sweet bed! Very nice...the cherry looks wonderful, too!

Dennis Hatchett
12-10-2007, 1:13 PM
Love the traditional clean look. Just let the wood show off as it ages. Great work!

Bob Oehler
12-10-2007, 1:40 PM
I love the look of the bed. I am going to be making a bed for myself and will keep you design in mind. I am going to make it out of Lyptus so it will have a mahagony look to it. I have a dresser that would match that bed design quite nicely.

Again nice be and sleep well in it.

Bob Oehler

Dave MacArthur
12-10-2007, 9:58 PM
nice design and wood selection!