PDA

View Full Version : Turners- Baracuda 4 chuck?

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Do you own ,or have you used this chuck- I need to get one for my Oliver with 1-7/8 thread on it for between centers- what is your opinion of this chuck - they have it on sale somewhere else for $179.00. I have a 12" swing (24"diameter total) inboard. The outboard is 2-1/4" thread- I am wondering if they would make an adapter for both sides for me? any suggestions?
Brian
thanks Turners :)

Neal Addy
12-09-2007, 1:05 PM
Don't have one but the Barracuda line is fairly well regarded on the forums.

Be sure to check prices on Amazon. Don't know if they carry the 4 but their price on the 2 is usually better than PSI.

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 1:23 PM
be able to machine the thread on this to accept 1-7/8" and 2-1/4 adapter. I have to get the 4 Neal ! 10" + swing , I probably need something even larger - where to go?:confused:
Brian

CW McClellan
12-09-2007, 1:46 PM
I have an Oliver 167 which has a 1 1/8 tpi--I ordered an adapter 1 1/8 to 1 " for $25 that way I can use the G3 chuck and other regular threaded attachments --on the outboard which is the hand wheel I'm using it the regular way without a chuck as a face plate .
Eagle Manufactory carries all org. parts and manuals --except the adapter

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 1:55 PM
are you saying that is far as they will go 1-1/8" or 1" - if it's a 1 " - or 1-1/8" there is no way I am going from that to almost 2" with an adapter - I wouldn't trust that with pressure being applied to that junction ~ forget that - I need almost 2" 8tpi - Any suggestions CW?
Brian

Marvin Hasenak
12-09-2007, 4:35 PM
The Barracuda2 is more of a mini/midi lathe chuck. I use mine and I use it several times a day, every day. It is a good quality lathe for the price. I just don't think I would have that much faith in it holding up to the capabilities of the lathe you have.

Marvin

CW McClellan
12-09-2007, 9:22 PM
Yep-I would go to a good machinest --tell him what ya want --he can turn and thread to your need --probably your cheapest way out --which Oliver you got ?

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 9:30 PM
at a 12" the Baracuda is to small, I have the Oliver 20C CW
Brian

CW McClellan
12-09-2007, 9:58 PM
Just ck out the 20C on the Oliver web --don't think ya will have any trouble turning pen with that one --Ha Ha :D

Recond you've already read what that dudes doing with his or is that write up you ?Also pic of one customized with blocked up on each end -- good Luck fixin er up

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 10:08 PM
did you mean this one~ http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=649226#poststop ???
Brian

CW McClellan
12-09-2007, 10:22 PM
Very nice thats the one :D

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 10:40 PM
the Olivers, I know it's a biased opinion - and your write thining that way, but they don't build them like this anymore, and there hard to find- theres on Oliver write now on ebay, a 13' monster - but a small chassis its a 25A , but I still think this is not original because of the middle leg- check it out- tell me what you think. just doesn't look wright?
Brian

CW McClellan
12-09-2007, 11:24 PM
It must be off biding now --I belive I saw it listed last wk.--the guy from Eagle Mg. could tell you --Im sure you've talked to him about parts &ect. for yours -- I got the manual from them for mine --I got it off the e-late one night --it's only 7 ' long and I can turn 19" bowl inboard and ?? what ever the gamble on outboard Ha. --Would you believe the guy I got my lathe from -I drove 6 hr. to get it one way -he had already cleaned and painted it (the right way ) but not green --got 1 hp Leeson mt. new --got tired and didn't know how to wire mt. so sold it and ordered a Griz --boy is he going to be supprised --I'll send pics when I get thru after Christmas --having to make leather aprons at present . Good luck with yours looks good