PDA

View Full Version : staining maple?

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 12:27 PM
I stained hard maple that was a light creamy white in color with a light brown stain. It mostly looks great but in some areas a grayish hue has come through that wasn't there before. The wood is sanded very smooth. I have stained maple before but it was darker wood and didn't have this effect.
What happened and is their a way to correct the problem other than using a much darker stain? Is this the what happens with light colored maple?

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Just from what you said it seems that you are staining the sap part of the maple- I am guessing "soft maple" - I would use a wood grain conditioner on these softer "sap" running woods , this will give you a more even look when staining. It sounds like you may have had some slightly darker (grayish looking) areas in the soft wood and this will come out through the stain if it is light in color a Grey tone to it - if you were using mahogany color for example you would not recognize that at all, but if it is a light color stain you may have a problem and will have to select a different piece of the same wood with out the Grey discolored areas -. I used the sap area of the tree for base moldings and used a dark blood ox and mahogany combination- called an NGR method - alcohol based dye then the stain color - you may have better luck with this, although it is expensive the results are very negligible- the Min wax stains are mostly spirits and I do not like them at all- alcohol dye and rubbing stain- beautiful grain popping results as long as you sand the wood appropriately. my 2-cents
Brian
Brian

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 12:57 PM
So if I have already started on my work piece there isn't anything I can do other than going over the first coat with a second darker coat?

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 1:02 PM
Like thats what you should do- If you want a real powerfull finish to your wood- my recomendations are the NGR meathod ~ some information for you Keith,

http://www.swcp.com/~awa/finishing_ornery_woods.htm

Brian:)

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 1:11 PM
Thankyou for the info. I only wish I had the foresight to ask before I started.

Brian Weick
12-09-2007, 1:19 PM
Not all is lost buddy- at least you didn't put a top coat on it, you can repair the finish- once you go the NGR method you will see a noticeable improvement- the grain n the wood will really pop out at you with the second stain application being rubbed on- you get a very professional finish to your wood Keith- just light sand the existing project just like you would to except the stain - you don't have to get it to the bare bone - then apply your choice of NGR tint- find a paint store in your area that carries this stain and is familiar with the application, bring a sample in with the existing stain you have on it and go from there- :)
Brian

keith ouellette
12-09-2007, 1:31 PM
I'll give it a try. Thanx.