PDA

View Full Version : What's your thought on this...

Larry Anderson
12-09-2007, 11:40 AM
:confused:to good to be true?

item=300180438346

David G Baker
12-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I looked at the seller's feedback and would be very nervous about purchasing a big ticket item from this seller.
When you ask the question "is this to good to be true" you already know the answer.

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 11:59 AM
eBay item #300180438346

Sounds like a good deal. The guy’s a Power Seller with a positive feedback rating of 99.3. I would certainly confirm the $8.95 shipping, that sounds too good to be true.
Also, it’s a Unifence model, most people prefer the Biesemeyer.

Grant Morris
12-09-2007, 12:02 PM
That is a fantastic price and $8.95 shipping!, that is probably a mistake by the seller. I would jump on it if you are in the market for a cabinet saw. The best price I found on it elsewhere was at Amazon for $1900.00.

http://www.amazon.com/Delta-36-R31X-U50-Horsepower-Unifence-Extension/dp/B0000A25ZM/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1197219644&sr=8-18

Let us know if you order it.

James Hart
12-09-2007, 12:28 PM
I was an ebay powerseller, have almost 500 transactions under my belt. This guy smells bad. Don't be fooled by the 99.3% positive, it doesn't mean anything by itself anymore.

There are another 94 transactions where the feedback was 'mutually withdrawn.' This drops his rating quite a bit. It also means he's the type of seller who plays fast and loose, posts a neg to the buyer (which is really low considering the buyer probably acted properly) then made a deal to mutually withdraw the feedback. I now watch this # more than the feedback, it tells you who he's dealing with.

I'd pass.

Jim

Larry Anderson
12-09-2007, 12:43 PM
I'd pass

Well that was my feeling too Jim. I went thru his feedback and got the same impression. I have queried him about my concerns; his response will be interesting.

Greg Sznajdruk
12-09-2007, 1:00 PM
eBay item #300180438346

Sounds like a good deal. The guy’s a Power Seller with a positive feedback rating of 99.3. I would certainly confirm the $8.95 shipping, that sounds too good to be true.
Also, it’s a Unifence model, most people prefer the Biesemeyer.

Actually those of us who have Unifences prefer them to Biesemeyer fences.

Greg

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 1:05 PM

Greg

Greg, I should've said some people prefer the Bies. :D

Brian Dormer
12-09-2007, 1:05 PM
Somethings fishy about this one. The shipping cost is WAY too low - by now, the seller's had emails about it and should have corrected it. The mutually withdrawn ratings are a red flag too. Legit power sellers typically don't have that.

ebay scams are on the rise - people trying to pull a fast one and steal your money. Caveat Emptor!

My $0.02 - PASS!

Larry Anderson
12-09-2007, 1:39 PM

Greg

I have a Unifence on my contractor saw and love it. Although I've never had a Bies for comparison.

I hate to pass if this deal is legit but it does seem fishy, and the 50" is a little big for my space.

Scott Hubl
12-09-2007, 1:50 PM
Look on another forum, Woodnet, in the "SwapNSell" section I believe there are two different sellers, their offering about the same pricing. And
I believe one is offering FREE shipping at the moment. Left tilts, 3 HP, 50" biese or Unifences. Both are legit dealers if I recall correctly.

Fred Voorhees
12-09-2007, 3:02 PM

Greg

I'm with Greg on this one. I like my Unifence and in fact, within two months or so, will be looking to buy a new cabinet saw and having a unifence will be part of the requirments.

Jon Bonham
12-09-2007, 3:05 PM
When you have 20000 feedback, you're going to have some negatives, especially when you sell higher dollar items. Look at his last neg. The guy won an OOS item on 12/2 and left neg feedback on 12/8 because he hadn't received a credit yet. There's no way of knowing when the decision was made to issue a refund, it could have been on Friday 12/7 for all anybody knows.

The fact is, people on eBay are kooks. They think that everybody that sells has nothing else to do than check their email 24/7 and respond within 15 minutes. The guy has almost 21000 positive feedback.

Jake Helmboldt
12-09-2007, 9:17 PM
Baloney! This is the classic bad ebayer. Indeed there are some unreasonable jerks on there (my one and only negative is from just such a $*%$).

But this guy averages 8 negatives a month and many mutually withdrawn on top. Plus, look at the comments and they are all the same; long shipping, no respone to questions, rude customer service. The potential headache on a big piece of equipment like that is just not worth it. It is obvious that if there are any problems the buyer will be SOL.

Larry Anderson
12-09-2007, 9:27 PM
In geeking around I have found that Homeclick is part of another company, Home Decor which also includes Hechinger Hardware. Does this make it more legit?...not sure. However, what Jake said above still leaves me leary. I wish it was a two bit item so I could buy it and see what happens.

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 9:34 PM
Larry, did you check out Scott's lead? Often if somebody can sell at a discount price, someone else can too.

Al Willits
12-09-2007, 9:51 PM
Well, either way there seems to be enough problems with both paypal and ebay that if I had any doubts I pass.

Sometimes it's better to spend a little more and get piece of mind...and good service :)

Al

Larry Anderson
12-10-2007, 8:43 AM
The NJ BBB had over 100 complaints about Homeclick in the past three years, that combined with the caveats I've read here has led me to pass on this one. You're right Al, better to spend a little more and deal with someone you know is reputable.