PDA

View Full Version : Saw Blades

Paul Dombroski
12-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm looking for a combination 10" blade for my PM 66. I can't decide between the Forrest WWII or the Ridge Carbide. Does anyone have any experience with both blades?
Thanks in advance.

David Gunn
12-09-2007, 4:45 PM
From what I have heard, you can't go wrong either way. I have the WWII and I love it. I don't know if is still going, but Amazon had a 20% off deal going on blades. You could get the WWII there for about $72.

David Weaver
12-09-2007, 5:22 PM
I'll bet you'd be pleased with either.

Unfortunately, I only have experience with the Forrest WWII TK, both on a 5 hp powermatic 66 and on a Delta hybrid saws. Results are fantastic on both.

Jack Camillo
12-09-2007, 6:34 PM
Another that's only used the forrest ww2 and loving it

Bill Bryant
12-09-2007, 6:37 PM
The TS2000 by Ridge Carbide, full kerf version, has given me glass smooth rips in oak. A very nice blade.

scott spencer
12-09-2007, 6:45 PM
I've used both and like both....excellent bladses. It's hard to tell cuts from either blade apart. The Ridge Carbide has thicker teeth.

There's a new blade from Infinity that I think is a worth a look. The new Super General 010-044 (http://www.infinitytools.com/products.asp?dept=1413) has a Hi-ATB grind as well as a double side angle. The cuts are polished, and are easier to distinguish from other 40T blades.

Bruce Wrenn
12-09-2007, 10:46 PM
Neither of the blades mentioned are combination blades, they are general purpose blades. Combos have ten groups of teeth, with each group having a raker and four atb teeth. A deep gullet is in front of the raker.

Matthew Voss
12-10-2007, 10:20 AM
Neither of the blades mentioned are combination blades, they are general purpose blades. Combos have ten groups of teeth, with each group having a raker and four atb teeth. A deep gullet is in front of the raker.

That's just semantics. I think its generally accepted that any blade meant to both rip and crosscut is a combo blade.

I picked up the Delta 7657 as a backup and for $40 have been really impressed.

Bill Huber
12-10-2007, 10:35 AM
To add another blade to the list is the Freud Premier Fusion.
I just got mine in the 8 in. version and it is a wonderful blade.
I have a Forrest I and it is also a great blade but I would say the Fusion out does it a little.
The cuts are smooth as glass and rips just as good as it crosscuts. It sells for about $90 in the 10 in. version.

I would say that just about any of the blades that have been talked about will do a great job for you.

Brian Gumpper
12-10-2007, 4:47 PM

People call general purpose blades combination blades all the time but in the truest sense, Bruce is correct. They are usually 50T too.

http://www.amanatool.com/blade-images/specs-684004.jpg

Lawrence Smith
12-10-2007, 6:19 PM
I have both of the blades that you mentioned. Both do just fine, however the Forrest requires using a stabilizer and Ridge does not. In some cases the Ridge is the better of the two since you can raise it higher above the table. The Forrest has a thinner kerf and therefore a stabilizer is recommended. It is a distinct advantage to use them on saws that are somewhat underpowered. Anyway, I switch back and forth quite often. Love them both. My $.02

Jim Becker
12-10-2007, 8:57 PM
Lawrence, the Forrest blade has a "standard" 1/8" kerf and does not require a stabilizer. (they are, however, recommended for the thin kerf version) I run Forrest blades exclusively and have never felt the need for the extra support outside of the normal arbor.

OP, like others have said, both brands are excellent blades.

CPeter James
12-10-2007, 9:26 PM
I have and use both, but really like my Ridge better. John at Ridge is very knowledgeable and is one of the best sharpeners in the business. When I send them in to get sharpened, they get better each time and they were excellent to start with. I have the TS2000 and a 12" blade in the slider.

CPeter

Bruce Wrenn
12-10-2007, 10:05 PM
That's just semantics. I think its generally accepted that any blade meant to both rip and crosscut is a combo blade.

I picked up the Delta 7657 as a backup and for $40 have been really impressed.The 7657 is the best forty dollar blade I have ever used. I like it better than a Forrest WWII. Much less chatter when ripping. I can't complain about anything it does. Last week I bought another, as I chewed through several brads that were hidden below the surface in a piece of wood. The blade still cuts good, not great though. With the discount from Amazon, it was about $33 delivered. Sharpening was only about a buck less, including shipping both ways.