PDA

View Full Version : cutting slots in PVC Sheeting

Terry Barr
12-09-2007, 7:54 AM
I have over 1500 slots to cut in dividers for a few boxes i'm making. I'm using 1/4" PVC sheets that was supplied. I am looking for suggestions on what type blade to use on table saw? to cut the stuff down to the size I used a 50 tooth combination blade (HF special) but when I try to stack several pieces together it melts the pieces together. any help is welcome.

thank to all terry

Bill Ryall
12-09-2007, 8:24 AM
I am no expert, but cut a lot of PVC, acrylic and lexan for some of my commercial work. YMMV

I have found any time I have tried to cut PVC on a tablesaw, the heat of the friction of the blade melts the edges of the PVC slightly. Same thing with using a router.

I have found the best results with the 110 tooth (cheap) plywood blades from the BORG. You need to clean them frequently as the PVC will melt onto the blade and begin to build up. I usually use a razor blade scraper.

No matter how you cut it, it makes one heck of a mess and STINKS!

Todd Burch
12-09-2007, 8:31 AM
Like Bill, I use a special purpose blade. I have an 80 tooth blade for stuff like that. It has an agressive rake angle. I think it's a Leitz.

Todd

(On another note, I typically don't stack cut when crosscutting on the tablesaw. I see it as too big an opportunity for an unguided square frisbee.)

Larry Conely
12-09-2007, 8:35 AM
I don't know if this will fit your application, but I have found that a bandsaw is much more suitable. Less friction heat is created, but the quality of the cut is compromised.

Paul Joynes
12-09-2007, 9:23 AM
I have no experience with PVC sheeting, but when we were installing EON plastic decking on our house, the instructions specifically said to use a 10" blade with 24 or less teeth to minimize the melting. In addition they said to cut it FAST. I purchased a 20 toothed rip blade from Forrest and was happy with the results. I realize that this suggestion is completely opposite to what has already been suggested above and the comparison between composite decking and PVC sheet may not be appropriate.

Regards,

Paul

Jim O'Dell
12-09-2007, 9:48 AM
I have a 60 tooth blade for plastics I used when cutting the PVC pipe for my cyclone system. Something about the hook/rake configuration for plastics. Not sure if it is the same for PVC, but I never got any melting. Regular blades did catch it and shatter it at times, although I blamed that on letting it pinch the blade while cutting, otherwise known as "operator error"! Jim.

Rich Engelhardt
12-09-2007, 10:04 AM
Hello,
I've seen special PVC blades on the shelf at Lowes.
IIRC, they look like the tile &/or masonry blades (diamond?).

David G Baker
12-09-2007, 10:16 AM
Terry,
Go on line and look up "TAP PLASTIC" to see if you can get a phone number or E-mail address. They are the experts on cutting plastic material and as well as an excellent source of material.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Use a high tooth count blade with a steep rake angle.
Slow the saw blade down by changing the pulleys.
Use a jet of compressed air as a coolant.
Don't stack too many as they will retain and compound the heat.
That's the best you can do.

Ideally you'd use a water based coolant.

Chris Padilla
12-09-2007, 12:00 PM
Cutting PVC pipe on my CMS, I just do it very quickly. The slower you cut, the more melting/build-up you end up with.

I wonder if those wet saws could work...the ones used for tile?

Terry Barr
12-09-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks all for the suggestions. I found i can only stack three pieces together or i becomes reall hard to take them a part, that will make it just over 500 cuts. WD40 and a little typhlon spray ob the blade every 10-15 pass help keep the blade clean. With a 24 tooth blade stacked in the middle of two 160 tooth plastic cutting blade seems to help to for the slots are just shy of 1/4" wide, then let them cool and pass a peice of odd scrap wood through cleans the teeth. Oh what fun I get myself into on some occasions

Chris Padilla
12-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Interesting solution, Terry! Nice job...good luck!

Grant Vanbokklen
12-09-2007, 12:22 PM
I've seen more kickbacks at work where we cut a lot of plastics on the table saw. Be extra careful with plastics on the table saw.

Bill Ryall
12-09-2007, 4:25 PM
Thanks for posting your solution. I have made a note of it to try on my next run of acrylic work.

Reed Wells
12-09-2007, 5:12 PM
Terry, Could you run a piece of masking tape between sheets? It may make seperating them a little easier.