PDA

View Full Version : Another Mission Wine Rack

gary Zimmel
12-09-2007, 1:26 AM
Just about finished another wine rack.

Again this one is made of QSWO.

My wife liked the first one that was built for my step daughter, so here is # 2. As I got started the boss asked if it could have those things going threw the legs. As the mortise and tenons were all ready done (and I didn't want to start over again) I opted for faux tenons. A couple of nights later she asked if it could have corbles. The top was already made, but I was lucky it was made bigger and after a couple of hours later, bingo bango, she had her corbles.

All in all she should plan more of my projects because I'm happy the way this one is turning out...

Staining will happen tommorow and it should be in the house for the xmas season. ( the wine store will be happy when I fill this one up)

Gary Keedwell
12-09-2007, 1:34 AM
Hey..I like it. Are those from your own plans? How are you going to finish it?
Gary

Thomas Knighton
12-09-2007, 7:36 AM
Looks good. I can't wait to see it after finishing. It should look fantastic!

Tom

John Timberlake
12-09-2007, 7:57 AM
Really nice job. Love the overall design - very pleasing to the eye. Good joinery.

Mike Cutler
12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Nice work Gary.

How are you indexing/aligning the bottle racks? Are the "slats" on the underside of the tabletop for glasses? It looks like it, but I'm not sure.

Nice job to both you and your wife.

Chuck Lenz
12-09-2007, 12:19 PM
Very nicely done.

Grant Morris
12-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Post pics of finished of the piece please Gary.

gary Zimmel
12-09-2007, 5:07 PM
Mike,

There are glass holders under the table as you thought.

The back bottle racks are 3 1/4" diameter and were cut out with a bandsaw. The layout was started from the center with a 1/2" space in between.
The fronts are 1 1/8" diameter. I put both boards together and drilled them at the same time.

Gary,

I am going to use a Dark Walnut stain and a few coats of wipe on poly.
The basic plan came from The Best of Woodworkers Journal. Their plan did not have mortise and tenon joints, which I used. We also added the bottons and faux tenons and the top is 1" instead of 3/4".

Roy Bennett
12-09-2007, 7:24 PM
Great looking rack. Just one question - are the back 3 1/4 dia. cutouts and the front 1 1/8 dia. cutouts in line. i.e. do the bottles rest horizontally, or are they tilted toward the front?:confused:

Ralph Okonieski
12-09-2007, 7:41 PM
Very nicely done. Looks like a 3-phase project - constructing, filling & emptying? Of course, emptying is the best part! Well done !

gary Zimmel
12-09-2007, 8:13 PM
Roy,

Everything is in line so the bottles lay horizontally.

When it's all finished I will post it with the bottles in it.....

Ed Bamba
12-16-2007, 4:30 PM
Nicely done. I was ready to pay you a compliment on your thru mortises. Perhaps I should have went the faux tenon route as you did. Mine have been far less than perfect. I cut mine with a Harbour Freight mortising machine; I guess it'll take more practice or turn to the Neander method.

Ed