PDA

View Full Version : Punky Maple

Brian McInturff
12-08-2007, 9:37 PM
Earlier this week I asked about how to handle Punky wood. Initially I couldn't find any Minwax Wood Hardner but finally found some at a HD about 20 miles away. Isoaked the piece and it took 2 pints of the wood hardner. It probably would have taken more but I only bought 3 cans and wanted to save a can. Anyway, the wood hardner worked, at least good enough. This wood was from a tree that had been taken down over 3 years ago and spent at least half of it's time submerged under swampy water. Whe I initially started turning it I was hitting some of the biggest worms I've seen. These grubs were larger than my thumb. The wood was rotten. I kept the tools as sharp as possible and took as light a cuts as I could. I started having the wood fibers just tear out, like if the tool was dull, but I know the tool was sharp. In some places the wood was as hard as a rock and then it would be so soft you could collapse the fibers with your fingers. Anyway, this is what I finally got out of it. Nothing exquisite but a good learning experience. My wife wanted this design for a candle but now she thinks a cactus would look good in it too. the piece is completely hollowed out. Walls are aboult 1/4" thick in most places. Finish right now is just BLO. I'm still debating clearing out some of the worm holes with a dremel. What would you do?
Thanks all for the recommendation on the wood hardner!!
Brian

charlie knighton
12-08-2007, 10:05 PM
you might clean out the worm holes with a power washer (not steam) or an icepick

Brian McInturff
12-08-2007, 10:23 PM
Charlie,
A power washer would probably rip it to threads.k since it's already been soaked in Wood Hardner. I wasn't really expecting anything out of this. It was mainly to test my skills at some wood that would've normally just have torn all to pieces with a tool touching it.I know it's hard to believe but the hole piece had tear out until I soaked it in the hardner and then turned it again. I decided to stop where I did and not go any further as I could tell it was getting weak in spots(couldn't coat the inside). Although it is by far the ugliest piece I've turned I learned more on it than any other piece.

John Hart
12-09-2007, 7:38 AM
Mmmmmm....worm guts.;):D Glad you got your wood stiffened up.
I've not personally done anything special to the worm holes. Kinda figured that they are a special character in the piece and just left them alone. Early in the game, I filled them with black epoxy but thought it looked kinda stupid so I quit doing that sort of thing. If the gunk is loose in the hole, I'll pick it out with something...but if it's solid, I leave it alone. Good luck sir.:)

David Fried
12-09-2007, 9:26 AM
I usually pick at the worm stuff with a toothpick. What's soft and loose enough to come out comes out, the rest stays.

Bernie Weishapl
12-09-2007, 1:11 PM
Brian I just leave well enough alone. I just turn and finish.