PDA

View Full Version : A couple more bowls…

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2007, 8:53 PM
Finished a couple more bowls today and thought I would post them and get your comments.

Cherry bowl – 8” x 3” with a 3/8” rim, 2 coats of Watco Natural and buffed.

Maple bowl – 7 ¾” x 3”, Watco and buffed. Really liked this maple as the heartwood is extremely dark. Have a few more bowls like this that are finished (waiting to be buffed) and I think the color contrast is amazing.

As always, your comments/critiques are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

David Wilhelm
12-08-2007, 9:24 PM
good looking bowls!!! I love the color of the maple. Just wondering, do you turn start to finish, rough and set aside to turn later? Do you turn them Greem and hope for the best? HAve you ever tried soap soaking your blanks in the style of Ron Kent's green wood turning? I've been playing with the soap for spaulted turning and have not made up my mind what I like best yet. I love that i can leave the bowl on the lathe and come back in a day or two and pretty much start back in the same place with out much change. end grain tearout is almost gone but the soap makes it hard to glue the needed areas to keep the bowl

Ron Erickson
12-08-2007, 9:35 PM
I like the color of the maple. Interesting rim on the cherry, looks very thin, how thick are the sides of the bowl? The shape of the rim makes me want to pick it up, very nice.

Mike A. Smith
12-08-2007, 10:32 PM
Steve, you are really 'turning' them out, bet you're having to hose down the lathe to cool it off! A couple more winners!

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Thanks guys!

David - I rough out the blanks, soak in DNA for a few hours, wrap in brown paper bag and finish turn in a couple of months. So far this has worked very well for me. Have had a couple of bowls crack on me but only because I left the knots in for effect.

Ron, the cherry bowl is close to 1/4" thick on the sides but a little thicker on the bottom.

Pat Doble
12-08-2007, 11:26 PM
I really like that cherry bowl. That little bit of flair of the rim really makes it. And WOW:eek: - great contrast in that maple.

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Great looking bowls Steve. Simple form and nice finish.

Tom Sherman
12-09-2007, 4:29 AM
A couple of great looking bowls Steve,

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-09-2007, 1:30 PM
Daggone, Steve, I'm in awe.

Paul Engle
12-09-2007, 1:44 PM
I agree with Pat , the rim is it. Nice work on the maple.Classic shape and finish Steve! Which one is pop corn and which one is ice cream????:confused:

Alex Elias
12-09-2007, 2:14 PM
I like both of them but have to agree that the color on that maple are great. I've being liking your work.