PDA

View Full Version : how do you guys sharpen your 20" planer knives?

dale rex
12-08-2007, 6:14 PM
Gotta sharpen my Grizzly 20" planer knives soon and wondered if any of you sharpen your own or send them out? If you do them yourself, what kind of system do you use?

John Bartley
12-08-2007, 7:11 PM
I don't have a 20" planer, but I do sharpen my 13" Ridgid planer knives on this type of grinder :

http://grizzly.com/products/Universal-Knife-Grinder/G2790

Mine was bought at Busy Bee here in Ottawa, but it's the same.

cheers

dale rex
12-08-2007, 7:23 PM
how well does it work? I see it will handle 20" knives.

John Thompson
12-08-2007, 10:30 PM
Not related to the Griz sharperner Dale, but I just drop mine by Butler Saw and Sharpening. He charges me $12 for the 20' knives. I don't know if that is retail as he married a close friend and classmate from HS.

I can't argue that price as opposed to purchasing the proper equipment and taking the time to do it. I can drop in the morning and pick up in the afternoon which saves me valuable time.

Regards...

Sarge..

Ken Lutes
12-08-2007, 10:59 PM
Do you mind posting the address and phone number of his business?

John Thompson
12-08-2007, 11:30 PM
Do you mind posting the address and phone number of his business?

I just looked in the phone book Ken as I have rarely called. I pass by the shop several times a week and just drop in on the rare occasion I need something. I have purchased a SCMS blade there, but he has to charge a little more than you can get one if you shop on-line as he is small and can't buy in bulk I assume.

Butler Saw Sharpening
235 Buford Dr,
Lawrenceville, Ga.
770-963-2522

Again.. I have no idea if what I paid is retail or just a local good ole boy price. And no clue if he would ship recieve and ship. He's been there quite a number of years and does not have a web-site. He told me once he is not into web-sites as most of his business is locals and word of mouth.

Question for you? Why would you consider shipping too and paying to have shipped back when you could probably find a local sharperner that could detour the cost of shipping?

Good luck...

Sarge..

Opps... I just edited as I think I may have answered the question I ask about shipping, etc. The price I paid is $12 a blade and not for a set of 4. It didn't occur the way I hastily posted did not make that clear and I have a feeling you jumped when you heard $12. I would have too for a set. Sorry if that is how you interpreted the original post!