PDA

View Full Version : DVR or TiVo?

Bruce Page
12-08-2007, 6:11 PM
LOML has dropped a few strong hints that she would like a DVR for Christmas. Do you guys have any recommendations? I would probably want to go with a Hi-Def unit. Should I be looking a the TiVo or go with a straight DVR setup.
Personally, I don’t see a whole lot that’s worth recording on TV but that’s another story…

Thanks

Glenn Clabo
12-08-2007, 6:54 PM
Well now...it's up 2U...but whatever you pick will change your life. DrLOML and I NEVER watch a full show anymore. We tape (or whatever) everything and watch it in 3 1/4's time. We have a DVR...and LOVE IT! Simple and easy to use...but I really have no understanding of TiVo,,,,

Bruce Page
12-08-2007, 7:00 PM
A DVR is just a high tech VCR, right? I imagine the connections are pretty much the same too. I have been perusing the TiVo web site but don’t really understand how it works. How difficult is it to get up & running? Does it replace your cable box?

Glenn Clabo
12-08-2007, 7:10 PM
Way beyond easy Bruce...way beyond. It's part of our cable box and even this "knuckle draggin" machinist dude finds it easy.

Matt Meiser
12-08-2007, 7:14 PM
We love our Tivo. One of the features that Tivo has that I don't know if anyone else has is suggestions. It looks at what you've been recording, what you've given thumbs up and thumbs down to and and records things you might like in the empty space. I've watched more than a couple shows I wouldn't have known about otherwise--for example, last night I watched a "Modern Marvels" about the Mackinac Bridge.

J D Thomas
12-08-2007, 7:55 PM
I've heard that Tivo's GUI is superior to cable/satellite companies DVR, especially in the features. I've had Tivo for over 5 years and it's only drawback is I now watch MORE TV!! The Season Pass is great. If you find a show you want to stay up on, SP will record it every time it's on, even if the network moves it around. The search function can be useful as well.

What Glenn said is right on: it WILL change you life where TV is concerned.

Let us know which way you decide to go.

Chris Padilla
12-08-2007, 8:10 PM
I have satellite tv: Dish Network and they supply their own DVR. It is wonderful but if TiVo has features like Matt suggested, that blows away what I've got through DN.

But, in the end, you will be assimilated. DVR will change how you watch TV and you'll no longer stand for watching commericals any longer! I hate watching TV in real time now...except for sports, of course! :D

Jim Kountz
12-08-2007, 8:45 PM
Having had both I can tell you that TiVo blows a DVR away in so many respects. The menus, the season pass, the suggestions it goes on and on. With a DVR you basically have a digital VCR. I have read about some software that allows you to basically do with a DVR what TiVo does already. Plus you have to connect your PC or Mac to the DVR box. TiVo is the way to go, you wont regret it.

Bruce Page
12-08-2007, 8:55 PM
What is involved with setting up a TiVo? I don’t have a phone line on the same wall as the EC, but I read that TiVo has a Wireless G USB Network Adapter that I assume plugs into your PC?
This is where I am a little confused.
From what I have read the TiVo is more versatile but I don’t want to rearrange my whole setup to use it.

Peter Stahl
12-08-2007, 8:56 PM
I have the Comcast HD DVR box. Like Glenn said we watch it when we want. I hear people that have TiVO say how much better it is than a DVR. Which ever you get will probably cost you something extra a month.

Matt Meiser
12-08-2007, 9:28 PM
My Tivo is DirecTV, so I'm sure its a little different, but after the installers left, we just had to choose a dial-in number and let the program guide download. After that you just choose what you want to record and it does it. When you are watching TV, you hit a thumbs up or down button on the remote to tell it your likes and dislikes. And that's about it. On a standalone Tivo, you can connect it to a wireless network, but its not necessary. When you do, I believe the program guide updates come through the internet, and i understand you can save shows to DVD on your computer. Unfortunately, DirecTV won't offer the network option, so I've never gotten to look into any of the network related features.

Matt Crew
12-08-2007, 10:24 PM
I have Direct TV with tivo and My wife and I just love it. You can even set it up to record your favorite actor's/actress's shows or movie's.
That was the first thing LOML did was program in John Wayne.
Didn't realize how many of those old serial westerns he did.
It's so much better to watch tv when you can start watching the show from the beginning after it has already started, fast foward though the comercials and knock off about 15 minutes in an hour program.

John Hain
12-08-2007, 10:29 PM
I've had both and like both for similar reasons. Right now I have a DVR as the TIVO didn't record in HD. I do like the TIVO remote better.

Jim Becker
12-08-2007, 11:55 PM
When I switch away from Comcast, I'm still not sure I'm even going to do a DVR unless I have to for the HD stuff. Tivo is nice, but I'll probably base my decision on cost...Tivo's DVR does essentially the same thing as the provider's DVR. But in addition to the Tivo subscription, I'd be paying for a couple of CableCards, too. The DVR from the provider may have a significant edge at that point from the cost angle!

David G Baker
12-09-2007, 12:34 AM
I am wishing for a service that automatically excludes commercials all together. Think Santa will ever come through?
Several of my Prime Time shows are now running in the same time slot so if this continues I will have to break down and get a recorder or service. Tivo is the one I will eventually go with.

Mike Pierson
12-09-2007, 8:51 AM
we have Tivo - on non-HD TV for many years. It is excellent and far better than the DVRs I have seen - interface is superior - search and program select (i.e. you could do record any program with woodworking in the description, and feel like you are getting the money out of the check you stroke to the cable company every month). Tivo also has some other "extras" (pictures, podcast, Tivo-only programming) but the core function is excellent.

we now have the cable company DVR because we got a HDTV and our Tivo-model would not record HD programming (although they do make HD-Tivo). It is just a pitiful interface, but the quality of HD makes up for that. Personally, I would like to see the cable box makers just pay the royalties or whatever and license the Tivo interface. I have been watching HD-Tivo prices for awhile with intentions of returning to the promised land.

I'm not sure that i watch more TV or less...but do know when I have time to sit and watch TV - I am watching programming I want to watch (skipping through commercials) and not just what I whatever is on or randomly channel surfing.

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys, I’m still mulling it over but I’m leaning towards the TiVo TCD648250B Series3 HD digital recorder that’ll record 300 hours normal and 25-30 hours in HD.
Kind of pricy but I remember paying $650 for a TOL Sony VCR just before they went dirt cheap.:rolleyes:

Jeff Heil
12-09-2007, 9:40 PM
We love both of our TiVos, we dont watch live TV anymore. We are getting the wireless networking cards for both units for Christmas and a third TiVo for the Master Bedroom. All are non-HD models. Check out www.weaknees.com (http://www.weaknees.com) for great deals on refurb units. You also can order lifetime subscriptions for the service through this vendor, the models in retail stores don't offer the lifetime option anymore, just annual subscriptions. Also the site will add larger harddrives for more capacity than stock units. I am not affiliated at all, but just a happy customer.

We are adding the networking so we will be able to watch a show recorded on a different deck without burning to a DVD and playing on the other units. Once you have a TiVO you will toss your VCR.

The only downside is the approx 2 sec delay on the tv, making it impossible to watch live football on the TV and listen to the radio. Also talking on the phone to someone watching the game at the same time is difficult as they start cheering for a completed pass as you see the center snap the ball. But it is worth it!

Dan Mages
12-12-2007, 9:43 AM
Allison and I make great use of our TiVO box. One of my next big projects is to upgrade the unit with a new 500 gig hard drive... about 10x more space than the current unit.

You will also like Amazon.com's Unbox service for TiVO where you can rent or buy movies, tv shows, etc... and have it automatically downloaded to the TiVO for your enjoyment.

Dan

Rob Russell
12-12-2007, 10:55 AM
I'd like to dispute some of the statements about things that DVRs won't do. Ours:

Records an entire series of a show. You can choose "first run only" or "all episodes". If the times change, that's fine - it'll handle it. A good example is the "Dancing With the Stars" series of shows LOML wanted to see. They ran multiple times per week and the recording was flawless. If a sporting event runs long and you want to record "60 Minutes", it will adjust to capture the time change (there are some limits to that).
My wife knows how to use the menus and she isn't keen on this stuff. That tells me the system is easy to use.
One strong advantage of our DVR is that it's rented and, if it dies, is replaced without charge by the cable company. The monthly cost of our DVR is about the same as a Tivo, so I figure the box itself is basically free. When technology changes and they have a model with a larger hard drive, we just swap the unit out.
I'm pretty sure that we can download movies, but haven't bothered to look into that much.I believe there is a search feature, but haven't used it.

I won't disagree that Tivo is probably better than a DVR, but I would strongly dispute the statement that a DVR is "just an electronic VCR". I will say that our DVR comes from our cable service provider and that is likely to be different than a DVR that you buy at the big box electronics store.

Rob

Robert Goodwin
12-12-2007, 11:18 AM
Tivo all the way. I have friends that with all of them, from Tivo ( which I have ) to cable versions, dish versions and homebuilt versions. And if you want something that you just turn on and forget about with exccelent features, Tivo is it (IMHO) I like tinkering with Media Center on my own time, but as soon as you go homebuilt, you become the IT guy for the rest of the family :D

Tyler Howell
12-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Help!!
I've read this twice and still a little foggy.
I use to be really up on analog audio and video but digital has left me behind.
I have Direct TV. Will TIVO replace my Direct TV box or do they have to be used together??
The features of the TIVO seem to be very desirable.

Say more about wireless cards please??

Matt Meiser
12-12-2007, 11:51 AM
With DirecTV, the Tivo is built into the DirecTV receiver. And, they no longer offer Tivo, just a DVR. Based on some reading, it sounds like people who had Tivos and went to the DVRs are not happy with them because of missing features (talking about DirecTV DVR, not DVR in general.) I believe there are places where you can still buy DirecTV Tivo units but eventually they will supposedly be phasing out the service and forcing us to DVR. Also, DirecTV won't support the wireless network cards on their Tivo units. There are hacks to make them work, assuming you have the right model (I don't.)

Tyler Howell
12-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks Matt,
Just hopped over to the TiVo site and they offer only one box for Satalite use?

They also say you need Broadband internet for Tivo use. Sooooooo.
If I get broadband off DirecTV and TiVo off DirecTV will the world implode??:eek::eek::D.
Sounds like I need a dial up line too?
Sorry Bruce for hijacking your thread
TIA

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 1:22 PM
I dunno, Tyler. I think your DVR that came with DirectTV is pretty good. Rob spelled out some misconceptions. My mother has Dish Network (like I do) and runs it just fine and she was a 2 VCR household for many, many years. I think the s/w for DVR offered by non-TiVo boxes will get better over time and Tivo will have its hands full trying to stay competitive. My 2 dinars on the subject. :)

Matt Meiser
12-12-2007, 1:23 PM
If I get broadband off DirecTV

Don't do it unless that is the ONLY option. Look into wireless broadband (I have Sprint) first.

Bruce Page
12-12-2007, 2:49 PM
Tyler, I’m still not sure what I’m going to do so the more questions/info the better. I understand that Comcast, which I have for the ‘puter as well as HDTV, has a TiVo setup in their DVR. I’m going to look into that.

Chris Padilla
12-12-2007, 3:25 PM
Bottom line, Bruce, is that you will be happy with either TiVo or DVR...if you've never had either before. It has revolutionized watching shows.

Glenn Clabo
12-12-2007, 4:53 PM
Bruce,
I asked some questions about the Comcast DVR...it's pretty much the same as I have for Cox. It replaced our "box"...and I would say that you will love it. Of course I haven't used TiVo...I just couldn't justify the expense when I was looking into it...besides...I wanted HD service to match that wall of tv picture that DrLOML bought for me.

Rob Russell
12-12-2007, 5:12 PM
Bottom line, Bruce, is that you will be happy with either TiVo or DVR...if you've never had either before. It has revolutionized watching shows.

Isn't that for real! We were watching something live on the TV because both of the DVR tuners were recording something for later. LOML asked "Can't we skip through the ads?" Ummm - no dear, this is regular TV.

Frank Hagan
12-13-2007, 1:41 AM
It does change the way you watch TV. We've owned DVRs ever since DISH network came out with them (just after Tivo). I have had four of them fail due to hard drive problems.

The first two I purchased. The first one was replaced 2 times under warranty until DISH and I figured out the phone line was somehow causing the problem. The third one lasted until past the warranty period and then died. We bought another, and it lasted until just after the warranty period and died. We looked at the rental cost, and it was about the same as buying them, so now we rent. So they aren't the most reliable things ... they are computers, after all.

We do have "name based" recording, where you can record all instances of the shows, all "new" episodes, only episodes in that time slot, etc. We can record everything with Kevin Costner if we want (two steps, search and then select). We can record two different shows while watching something we've previously recorded. You can pause the program, exit the menu, watch something else and days later come back and "resume" the program where you left off. You can pause it for a few minutes or an hour, and ... everyone's favorite ... hit that little "30 second jump forward" button to zap through commercials.

The program guide holds 7 days in memory, and we don't have to have a phone line hooked up to it all the time.

Chris Padilla
12-13-2007, 10:24 AM
Isn't that for real! We were watching something live on the TV because both of the DVR tuners were recording something for later. LOML asked "Can't we skip through the ads?" Ummm - no dear, this is regular TV.

My daughter is getting close to 6 and she can't understand why we can't fast forward through all commercials all the time! She doesn't know how good she has it but then I'm sure my father said the same thing! ha! Actually, she undestarnds when the show is live but she is just as entertained by the show as by the commercials shoving new toys down her throat although I have to admit, I do enjoy watching Spongebob! :D

You can watch a recorded show whilst the two tuners are recording shows. Amazing stuff, eh? I'm also recording a lot of stuff to DVD and I now have MOST of Woodworks on DVD although DIY's scheduling of David Marks' show is strange. They have a "core" of his shows they repeat constantly and only toss in a "new one" every so often. However, I'm sure to not miss it with the DVR! :D :D God I love DVR....

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-13-2007, 10:26 AM
I am told that a good DVR is better than TVO as of lately because of technology advancements and TVO didn't keep up.

I have neither.

Chris Padilla
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
The program guide holds 7 days in memory, and we don't have to have a phone line hooked up to it all the time.

I have Dish Network and the schedule goes out 10 days and they insist a phone line be hooked up all the time or they'll charge me $5/month. I have a buddy paying the $5/month but he figures since he cancelled his $20/month landline, he is +$15 up.

Jim Becker
12-13-2007, 11:30 AM
I am told that a good DVR is better than TVO as of lately because of technology advancements and TVO didn't keep up.

I would be skeptical about that...TIVO is a DVR and their current generation of devices are pretty slick. It's just independent from the content provider --cable/sat company--(outside of a few arrangements out there) rather than tied to and "customized" (read: sometimes crippled) by the provider. Both systems will record programming and offer various levels of guide services.

Personally, if I ever add such a device to our TV setup, it will likely be a DVR from the provider, rather than TIVO, again, primarily based on the cost factor and the convenience of one source. I don't even watch TV right now outside of the news and some of GMA in the morning... :p

Curt Harms
12-13-2007, 9:26 PM
It does change the way you watch TV. We've owned DVRs ever since DISH network came out with them (just after Tivo). I have had four of them fail due to hard drive problems.

We have a ReplayTV DVR made by Panasonic and a DirecTV HD DVR. We got the DirecTV device primarily because the Panasonic box wouldn't record HD, also the DirecTV box has two tuners. The Hard Drive in the Panasonic did start getting noisy--it was a 30 gb. Quantum Fireball so it had been in service for a while and the bearings were worn out. I took the top off and the drive is just an IDE drive with standard connectors. I was able to find a CD on ebay that restores Replay TV software on a new hard drive. I had a 60 gb. Western Digital which is working just fine on a non HD TV. SWMBO got a real deal on that box--$99 including a LIFETIME subscription to the program guide service. I suspect Replay TV didn't figure on replaced hard drives:). One thing to be aware of with DVR's--monthly service or subscription charges. Those can exceed the purchase price of the unit after a few years.

Curt

Frank Hagan
12-14-2007, 1:20 AM
I have Dish Network and the schedule goes out 10 days and they insist a phone line be hooked up all the time or they'll charge me $5/month. I have a buddy paying the $5/month but he figures since he cancelled his $20/month landline, he is +$15 up.

The guide might be 10 days ... I'd have to check. On the fees, I guess it depends on the model you have. I'm paying the $5 DVR lease fee, but its my primary receiver for the network, so I don't have an additional fee. We also pay $5 a month for the upstairs receiver that I own (it's not a DVR, but I guess if we want one up there, its $5 and then an additional $5 if its not hooked up to a phone line?) It was the most economical configuration they had when I went from my purchased DVR (no fee) to the leased one.

I plug in the phone line occasionally so it can "phone home" and that satisfies them. The guide is loaded from satellite rather than the phone, so as long as they can tell that the receiver is still at the address its registered to, and that the PPV movies have been noted, they are fine with it not needing a phone line all the time. I do it about once a quarter.

Tim A. Mitchell
12-14-2007, 1:41 AM
Either way is good. I actually have a PVR, not a DVR. I bought one when we got Dish Network at our first house. After we moved, they changed it to a pay service, but we still use ours for free. We will likely only change that when we get HD service through sat/cable. We are just waiting for more content, but it is getting close