PDA

View Full Version : Lost a friend of 16 years today. (Long)

Ken Garlock
02-18-2004, 7:05 PM
And that friend was Ivan, our little Russian-Blue kitty. We had gotten him when he was just a young kitten, and he immediately became part of the family. In the past year, Ivan had his kidneys start to fail. Over the past 6 months we had been giving him sub-cutaneous injections to Ringers I.V. fluids to help wash the poisons out of his system. We first started with twice a week, and more recently every other day.

In the past week, he started to just set around the house, or crawl under a quilt to sleep. He would just set on your lap and could not seem to get comfortable. Then, we found him wetting on the carpet, something we had not seem in the past. So, this afternoon we took him for his last trip to the Vet. The doctor gave him a sedative to make him dopey, and then gave him an overdose of anesthesia. It was all done in less that 10 minutes, and I don't think he suffered at all.

We brought him home, and placed him a an oak box I had made. We put a couple of toys in the box, and the ashes from our Siamese who had passed a couple years ago. The two of them were just like litter mates since we got both of them when they were about 6 weeks old. They now rest in our own private kitty cemetery along with my daughter's kitty.

You really don't know how much you are attached to these little critters until it is time for them to cross over the rainbow bridge. It surely does make a person sad to loose a a friend that never asked for anything other that food, a warm place to sleep, and affection. But, I guess those of you that have lost a pet already know what I mean.

My Dad tells us to get another kitten to replace the loss, but I think we will wait a while. We still have our Abyssinian kitty who is now 15 years old. He is diabetic and requires insulin twice a day. When it is time for him to cross the rainbow bridge, then we will consider what to do. We have always had at least one kitty with us in the nearly 32 years of marriage. It would be a lonely place without a furry purr-box around.

Thanks for listening, friends.

Ron Jones near Indy
02-18-2004, 7:13 PM
Ken,
I know this it not an easy time for your family. Good pets are indeed good friends. You will know if and when it is time to get another feline family member.

Bob Oswin
02-18-2004, 7:40 PM
And that friend was Ivan, our little Russian-Blue kitty. .

Thanks for listening, friends.

My deepest sympathies Ken.
The unconditional love these little animals give us is heart wrenching at a time like this.
I know of no higher calling than to befriend an animal.
It takes a special person to extend themselves this way.
There is another poor lost little soul looking for you and your family.
In due time.

bob

Chris Padilla
02-18-2004, 8:31 PM
Hi Ken,

My condolences to you and your family.

Growing up, we had a dog (mix of black lab and irish setter). She was put down 9 years later when I had more or less moved out of the house and out of state so it wasn't too painful for me. My family never replaced her.

Every once in a while (usually cleaning out various places) we'll run across evidence of her (usually chunks of black hair) and it is a sad moment for us. Towards the end of her years, she was on medication to help control her spasms/convultions. She was always an exuberant and friendly dog with one of those tails that could clear a coffee table of anything with one wag.

Our loved ones will always live on in our memories.

Ted Calver
02-18-2004, 8:45 PM
Ken,
My wife and I send our condolences on your loss. Our last Siamese was a painful loss to us. In memory, we planted a beautiful Japanese Maple over her grave and think of her each time we pass that way in the garden.
Ted

John Miliunas
02-18-2004, 10:08 PM
If I may add my sympathies to you and your family, Ken. Like yourself, we've always had, at least, one kitty, usually two around most all of the time. It's not easy, but with time, it will get better and when your family is ready, the purrrrrfect one will once again, come along.

Don Henthorn Smithville, TX
02-18-2004, 10:24 PM
My sympathies to your family, Ken. Those little buggers really can get to be real meaningful parts of our lives. Better get another one before the other one comes to the end of it's days.

Scott Greaves
02-19-2004, 12:18 AM
Ken, your post is very touching! I really feel for you! We have five cats, not counting the one that thinks she's a Chow Dog. They are like our little fuzzy kids! I talk to them, and often they talk right back.

It is a special person that can really let a pet into their life. You're a good man, and I send my heartfelt condolences to you.

Scott.

Mike Evertsen
02-19-2004, 12:46 PM
it's hard losing pets,,,I had to bring our dog to the vet this morning I won't know until this afternoon if he's coming home he's been in the family 12 yrs,,,,,,,

John Miliunas
02-19-2004, 1:00 PM
it's hard losing pets,,,I had to bring our dog to the vet this morning I won't know until this afternoon if he's coming home he's been in the family 12 yrs,,,,,,,

Mike, sorry to hear that. The waiting and doubt can often be as hard as actually losing a family pet. Good luck.

Ken Garlock
02-19-2004, 3:26 PM

I certainly hope the best for your pal of 12 years. It speaks well of you and your family to have given him the care that allowed him to become a senior citizen of 12 years, and more.

Here is hoping for a trip home today.

Ken Garlock
02-19-2004, 3:42 PM
My wife and I appreciate your words of sympathy and understanding.

Today it is a little easier to deal with his loss. I suppose it will be a little easier tomorrow, and then the day after easier yet.

Once again, THANKS!

Mike Evertsen
02-19-2004, 4:58 PM
update,,the vet called he has cancer thruout his abdomine only 10% chance he'll improve I told the vet it was his time,,,,he will be missed,,,,,,,,

Jim Becker
02-19-2004, 5:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I remember a number of years ago when my ex and I lost one of our wonderful cats to the same affliction. He was the most loving animal that I've ever known and it was as painful to make that last trip as it was to watch his condition deteriorate quickly. Your memories will get you through the pain, however. Enjoy them every opportunity you get.

John Miliunas
02-19-2004, 9:36 PM
update,,the vet called he has cancer thruout his abdomine only 10% chance he'll improve I told the vet it was his time,,,,he will be missed,,,,,,,,

Mike, terribly sorry to hear that. Like Jim said, just keep the good times in mind and they will carry you through the bad. Hang in there.

Ken Garlock
02-20-2004, 12:55 AM
I am sorry that your friend will not be coming home. I am sure you will have some precious memories to hold. You did the kind thing today.

Hang in there, Mike.