PDA

View Full Version : Highland Woodworking

Brian Dormer
12-08-2007, 1:26 PM
I placed a small order with Highland last week, and despite 3 emails to them asking "what's up?" I've got no response and the order is just sitting there. An Amazon and a Lee Valley placed the same day arrived Wednesday. I've ordered from them in the past without any problems.

Anybody know if Highland is still alive?

bd

Heather Thompson
12-08-2007, 1:32 PM
I called last week with a question, they seemed to be alive and well at that time, pick up the phone and give them a ring 800 241-6748.

Heather

Daniel Simon
12-08-2007, 2:10 PM
Maybe call them??? duh.

Lance Norris
12-08-2007, 3:40 PM
I ordered from them a couple of weeks ago. They aren't as responsive as Woodcraft or Hartville Tool, but everything arrived in a timely manner. They sent me a confirmation email with an order number that never worked on their websight, but like I said all was well. In this world with the internet, I like tracking numbers and enjoy tracking my packages through every stop. No tracking number from Highland.

Paul Fitzgerald
12-08-2007, 4:09 PM
I placed an order on Wednesday. It shipped Thursday, but I never got a tracking number. I just called them and they were super nice and gave me the tracking number. My package should arrive Monday.

Paul

Brian Dormer
12-09-2007, 12:59 PM
For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up. (duh!) And at the end of the day - I shouldn't have to.

Here's the story:

1. It's Christmas - they are busy.
2. They are changing over their computer system. (really bad timing IMHO)
3. The item was out of stock.
4. The out of stock item has no ETA.

With some regret, I canceled the order. It's going to cost me more to get things from Lee Valley - but I know from their site that what I want is in stock. And from experience, I know I'll have it in a couple days - no fuss, no muss.

<rant>
Nothing personal against Highland - but if I were them, I'd either get out of the web or get more serious about it. (Maybe that's what their computer upgrade is addressing). They aren't the only game in town - 3 emails (with no responses) and a phone call to find out "What's up?" is crazy in the "information age". I know until I see some changes in their web presence, I'm going to focus my shopping at web sites (Lee Valley, Amazon, and Woodcraft spring to mind) that are more responsive. Bottom line - Price isn't everything - Customers shouldn't be ignored or kept guessing.
</rant>

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 1:44 PM
Nothing personal against Highland - but if I were them, I'd either get out of the web or get more serious about it. (Maybe that's what their computer upgrade is addressing). They aren't the only game in town - 3 emails (with no responses) and a phone call to find out "What's up?" is crazy in the "information age". I know until I see some changes in their web presence, I'm going to focus my shopping at web sites (Lee Valley, Amazon, and Woodcraft spring to mind) that are more responsive. Bottom line - Price isn't everything - Customers shouldn't be ignored or kept guessing.

I agree Brian. I have ordered several times from Highland and it always took longer to get my order than most other suppliers. I’m usually not in a big hurry so it’s not a big deal to me, but I can see where it would be for some.

Lee Hingle
12-09-2007, 1:49 PM
<rant>
</rant>

Amen Brian!
I agree wholeheartedly - vote with your dollar! It's what I do.
Lee

Brad Evans
12-09-2007, 4:08 PM
>>> For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up.

Is that then, your problem, or theirs?

If it were me, I'd make the tiny effort of calling an 800# before wondering/suggesting they're out of business.

FWIW, Highland's a great place and have ordered lots of stuff from them...

Steve Mellott
12-09-2007, 4:45 PM
I've never ordered online from Highland, but I've visited their store several times. They have a lot of free Saturday demos, some great classes and a great inventory of products. (They can also be a little pricey, as can some other woodworking stores.) For those who live in the Atlanta area, it is definitely worth a visit.

Steve

Gary Keedwell
12-09-2007, 4:50 PM
>>> For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up.

Is that then, your problem, or theirs?

If it were me, I'd make the tiny effort of calling an 800# before wondering/suggesting they're out of business.

FWIW, Highland's a great place and have ordered lots of stuff from them...
Brad said what I was thinking....what is this thread about, again?
Gary

Jesse Cloud
12-09-2007, 5:24 PM
I join you in hoping the computer switchover will improve Highland's web presence. They stock some stuff thats hard to find elsewhere so I hope they continue to be successful. It does bug me that there's no tracking or status info available. I'm just not as organized as Bruce.;)

Its interesting, what really matters to me is knowing when something will come. If its going to be late, I can usually move work around to accomodate, but I have been burned (mainly by Amazon) with orders that get postponed and then canceled later. When I really need something, I will order from Lee Valley even though it takes longer and costs more -but you KNOW when they say its in stock it really is and their shipping is like clockwork.

Good luck Highland!

Bruce Page
12-09-2007, 5:44 PM
I join you in hoping the computer switchover will improve Highland's web presence. They stock some stuff thats hard to find elsewhere so I hope they continue to be successful. It does bug me that there's no tracking or status info available. I'm just not as organized as Bruce.;)

Its interesting, what really matters to me is knowing when something will come. If its going to be late, I can usually move work around to accomodate, but I have been burned (mainly by Amazon) with orders that get postponed and then canceled later. When I really need something, I will order from Lee Valley even though it takes longer and costs more -but you KNOW when they say its in stock it really is and their shipping is like clockwork.

Good luck Highland!
Who are you calling organized!:rolleyes:

Carl Crout
12-09-2007, 8:21 PM
I agree. they need to get their act together. I don't have time to wait on the phone for " the next operator" .If they won't answer my emails, I won't do business with them.

Bill Spievak
12-09-2007, 10:29 PM
I have always been pleased with the service I have received. I usually order by phone, only a couple of times in a year do I order through the web site, and I have always been treated well and orders have always come in a timely manner. I think they do a fine job, and I try to get to the store during their spring sale, good prices and lots of demo's.

Joe Mioux
12-09-2007, 10:49 PM
For reasons I won't go into - I was in a situation where I couldn't just call them up. (duh!)

This is one of those times where I want to kill a cat. ;)

If you choose not to comment I will respect that, but............???

what would preclude you from making a phone call?

joe

Terre Hooks
12-09-2007, 11:58 PM
Highland Hardware is a cool store.

Just because they didn't respond to an electronic query in lightening fast speed, doesn't mean they are out of business.

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 12:09 AM
I agree. they need to get their act together. I don't have time to wait on the phone for " the next operator" .If they won't answer my emails, I won't do business with them.
You tell em Carl !!!!!!:eek::p
Gary

Jack Briggs
12-10-2007, 7:51 AM
I've been ordering from Highland online for the past couple of years. Never had a problem. I have also not waited too long for shipments. I would like to see their site updated though, so I'm in agreement there.

Larry Rasmussen
12-10-2007, 8:56 AM
While I would not have assumed "out of business" the post did get some answers. I'm on the West Coast and rarely have time to pick up the phone on my way out in the morning. By the time I get home many places I deal with are closed. Now yes I suppose on the rare day I take a lunch break I could grab a handful of coins and head out for a phone booth somewhere but I'm not going to. I can't call long distance from work.

Perhaps the difference in perspective is from those having a cell phone vs those that don't but if I can order on line then I want an answer on line, period.

Larry R
Seattle

Jim Newman
12-10-2007, 9:30 AM
Whenever I have called Highland Hardware, they have taken the time to answer all my questions about any product. Their advice has been first rate and I have always gotten a straight answer every time. They are more like your old corner hardware store and answering questions in full detail takes time they have to put into their overhead costs. They have treated me so well over the years in answering my questions, I do not mind paying a little more. People complain about the lack of service at big box stores now.....hmmmmm go figure!

Heather Thompson
12-10-2007, 9:38 AM
Whenever I have called Highland Hardware, they have taken the time to answer all my questions about any product. Their advice has been first rate and I have always gotten a straight answer every time. They are more like your old corner hardware store and answering questions in full detail takes time they have to put into their overhead costs. They have treated me so well over the years in answering my questions, I do not mind paying a little more. People complain about the lack of service at big box stores now.....hmmmmm go figure!

Jim,

I totally agree with you and my experiences with them via the phone has been the same, they have actually taken information from me to do research and called me back with solid information. This was done with no immediate direct profit, but over the years they have always and will continue to win my business. I go to the big box stores and end up training their employees nine times out of ten, and the tenth time it usually ends up with just a dumb stare from the employee. :rolleyes:

Heather

Tim Marks
12-10-2007, 9:41 AM
Maybe call them??? duh.
How about a little more kindness. This is supposed to be a friendly forum.

I agree with the original poster; email to a company should result in a prompt response or I will take my business elsewhere. A company that doesn't respond to emails is just as bad as a company that won't answer their phones or always sends you to voicemail.

I prefer not to call companies... I have spent enough of my life on hold trying to resolve issues when email wouldn't work (especially with large companies where emails are answered by "dirty word search" quieries of pre-written FAQs, so you never actually get any human assistance). I will never call a company until email has failed to achieve a proper response.

Bill White
12-10-2007, 9:47 AM
I noticed that their system for on-line ordering was not as sophisticated as others, but I got what I ordered in a reasonable length of time, and at a very competitive price. Good company, and they have good folks working there. Highland is one of just a few things I miss about Atlanta.
Bill

Keith Outten
12-10-2007, 10:37 AM
I edited the title of this thread because it was unfair to Highland Hardware since they are in fact still in business. This could be terribly bad for their company given the exposure that The Creek receives so to be fair the title had to be changed.

Brian Kent
12-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Thank you Keith!

John Thompson
12-10-2007, 11:24 AM
My first experience with Highland Hardware (recently Highland Woodworking) began in 1978 when they opened their doors in the old location across the street before the move to the larger building. It was difficult to get any info or tools other than what Sears had in those days.

Highland became in those days, the "mecca" for southern WW's as they brought in folks we had never heard of in the U.S., but we were willing to listen because picking up any infomation on WW'ing was very difficult in those times. There was no instant access via inter-net and word of mouth on the rare occassion you ran into another WW was about it. FWW began publishing shortly after and that opened up another avenue.

I went to a seminar by some unknown European guy that Highland featured and he indeed knew his stuff. I learned much in that seminar in the early days given by Tage Frid, the unknown guy. Since I have attended Frank Klaus twice, Sam Maloof twice, Odate, Mehler and a host of other talented people that don't share the national highlight.

Highland's staff are all wood-workers themselves and some quite talented as can be attested to by the Georgia WW Guild. Some of those give seminars as they have an experienced turner, finisher, a very talented lady woodworker who gears her seminars to women and all are not just hired to learn what they can on the job.

Do I order by inter-net. NO... there web set-up at this point is not refined as others. I used to just show up as Highland is within 30 minutes of me. But for the last year and the price of gas, I just call. I have never waited more than 45 seconds on the phone which was answered by someone I knew was a WW and knowledeable of the product. Never more than 45 seconds... I have wasted more time here typing this post!

I called two weeks ago to inquire and purchase some expensive wax to use on a bed. Jason answered and with my question asked me to hold for Sidney the finish man. Sidney listened to the application and ask if I had any Johnson's paste wax on hand. "Yes"... "Save your money and use it as it is will give the same results". End of order.. till the next!

So... their web is lacking but.... not the service when you show up or over the phone. Try ordering from Jeff Jewitt on his web-site. You don't.. you look there and then call.. leave a message and he will call back when he can and take the order with the fact if might be several days before he can ship. But.. you spoke to someone that "knows" what they are talking about.

Same with Louis Itturo. One call usually won't get em, you gotta be persistent and don't expect a catalog within the year you called if you requested one. There is NO web-site and may never be one. But... ya spoke to someone when you were patient that "knows".

So.... for all of those that expect instant service via inter-net, the above 3 mentioned may not be your cup of tea. For those that have a little patience and want to deal with someone that knows.. you have scored a "Bulls-Eye" as soon as the phone is answered.

My $.02... Ya'll have a good day....

Sarge..

Andy Livingston
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
John Thompson was spot on with his reply to this thread. I also live in the Atlanta area and have always gone to Highland Woodworking (they have changed their name from Highland Hardware) when I have a question to be answered or needed some suggestions. One guy wrote that he didn't have time to "wait for the next available operator". That's the beauty of this place. You will not be talking to an operator! If you need instant gratification, or you really can't wait to talk to someone (I'm busy too, there are many times that applies!) then you will probably be happier with a box store, or an on-line retailer. They do not staff for speed. They seem to staff for quality. Kind of refreshing if you ask me!
Just my .02 Feel free to disagree. Gotta get back to the shop. Christmas is just around the corner!

John Thompson
12-10-2007, 12:27 PM
We should have mentioned the two large store cats, Andy. Whenever I show up one will always... always be sleeping on top of whatever I went for. And with multiple items.. once I remove the cat to get what I need, I don't have to search for the second item. I just glance at where the cat went too and head straight to the spot as they just know what you want as soon as you arrive.

Let's just say the store has some character along with the older Virgiinia-Highland neighbor-hood and especially so in the older building by the old "fire-house" next door.

When I walk in the door.... I get the feeling of setting foot on "Sacred Ground" that is permeated by spirits of great wood-workers from the past that have come and gone and still continue to come and go!

Regards...

Sarge..

Brad Evans
12-10-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm on the West Coast and rarely have time to pick up the phone on my way out in the morning. By the time I get home many places I deal with are closed. Now yes I suppose on the rare day I take a lunch break I could grab a handful of coins and head out for a phone booth somewhere but I'm not going to. I can't call long distance from work.

Again, is this Highland's problem if someone doesn't have time to call them via their FREE 800#?

Heather Thompson
12-10-2007, 12:34 PM
I edited the title of this thread because it was unfair to Highland Hardware since they are in fact still in business. This could be terribly bad for their company given the exposure that The Creek receives so to be fair the title had to be changed.

Keith,

Thank you for changing the title of this thread, hopefully folks will read the entire thread and see what the story truely is. Think I was the first person to post on this, the most recent posts speak volumes for Highland Woodworking, quality people, quality service (goes hand-in-hand), quality overall. There are a number of other great woodworking suppliers, lets hope no one else takes a cheap shot at real quality suppliers. :(

Heather

Mike Henderson
12-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I've also had good service at Highland. But I do agree with those people who think it does not respond well to web inquires.

It's fine for a local company to have "character", and even "characters". But if you're going to sell to a national and international audience, you need to have a respectable web presence. That means a web site that works, is easy to navigate, and easy to order from. You also need to respond to electronic inquires in a timely fashion.

You can't have it both ways - you're either a local company with just walk in business, or you're a national (and international) business with a decent web presence.

Mike

Heather Thompson
12-10-2007, 1:43 PM
I've also had good service at Highland. But I do agree with those people who think it does not respond well to web inquires.

It's fine for a local company to have "character", and even "characters". But if you're going to sell to a national and international audience, you need to have a respectable web presence. That means a web site that works, is easy to navigate, and easy to order from. You also need to respond to electronic inquires in a timely fashion.

You can't have it both ways - you're either a local company with just walk in business, or you're a national (and international) business with a decent web presence.

Mike

Mike,

I will agree with you to a point, but I am glad that Highland Woodworking does have a site to make me aware of their presence, they may have an issue with internet commerce. I also have an extensive background in telecommunications, SS7, IN networking, Sonet, etc; have you ever gotten a timely call back internally unless you escalated the issue? I am not saying this should be the experience for a retail customer, but in the world that we live in it has become a reality. I would rather know that a company exists, be able to place an internet order, and then be able to pick up the phone to ask a question. Just my .02

Heather

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 1:47 PM
Mike,

I will agree with you to a point, but I am glad that Highland Woodworking does have a site to make me aware of their presence, they may have an issue with internet commerce. I also have an extensive background in telecommunications, SS7, IN networking, Sonet, etc; have you ever gotten a timely call back internally unless you escalated the issue? I am not saying this should be the experience for a retail customer, but in the world that we live in it has become a reality. I would rather know that a company exists, be able to place an internet order, and then be able to pick up the phone to ask a question. Just my .02

Heather
I echo Heather's sentiment 100%

Gary

Tim Marks
12-10-2007, 3:26 PM
Again, is this Highland's problem if someone doesn't have time to call them via their FREE 800#?
Yes, because their website clearly states:

Contact Customer Service (customerservice@highlandwoodworking.com) (customerservice@highlandwoodworking.com)with questions about your order
Being in the retail business, they should respond via ANY of their posted contact methods in a timely fashion (which I would define as 48 hours). It is Highland's problem if they don't have time to provide customer service. I am sure that management of Highland would be prompt to acknowledge this is a problem and apologize (assuming they are actually a great company).

No responses to 3 emails in 7 days is what most reasonable people would consider poor customer service. It is not the customer's fault that he (INAPPROPRIATELY according to some responders?!) chose email to contact them instead of telephone.

Most companys prefer customers to contact them with email, since it is a much more efficient use of limited staff resources, and minimizes the number of ticked off customers you have due to them being put on hold due to high call volume.

Highland Hardware is a great company, but that does not mean the original poster's complaint is invalid. Don't beat up the customer because he doesn't get good customer service. That is absurd.

Benjamin Dahl
12-10-2007, 3:30 PM
I have had only positive experiences with Highland. I will continue to do business with them and can not praise them enough for the knowledge I have gained both in person and over the phone. They will not try to sell you the most expensive item but what they think might be best for your project.
I hope they improve their web-presence since that seems to be the main point of contention here. Their catalog is not glossy but if you see a product and have a question about it they will do their best to inform you in a way that is informed but not condescending. There are many fine companies that I order from and have yet to find one that suits all my needs but Highland will continue to be among the top.
Ben

Gary Keedwell
12-10-2007, 4:22 PM
Highland Hardware is a great company, but that does not mean the original poster's complaint is invalid. Don't beat up the customer because he doesn't get good customer service. That is absurd
The original poster asked if the conpany was still alive. To me... he is asking if the company went out of business. People here are saying it is not fair to post things like that unless it is verified....that's all. Nobody is being beat up except Highland....that is why loyal customers are defending them.:)
Gary

Brad Evans
12-10-2007, 4:25 PM
>>> Yes, because their website clearly states:

Uh, no. If you think they're not in business, pick up the phone and invest 1 minute of your time and find out. Faster than slamming on the net...

Brad Evans
12-10-2007, 4:29 PM
The original poster asked if the conpany was still alive. To me... he is asking if the company went out of business. People here are saying it is not fair to post things like that unless it is verified....that's all. Nobody is being beat up except Highland....that is why loyal customers are defending them.:)
Gary

Yep, totally agree. It's irresponsible to cast dispersions without investing a tiny bit of one's own time and finding out first. People are so quick to act-out being a victim.

Richard Niemiec
12-10-2007, 4:42 PM
Where's the love, where's the trust.....:)

In all fairness, I can't defend Highland not getting back to someone for a week, but at the same time I think we all have to understand that folks sometimes have "issues" as here, a computer systems upgrade, and we all know what that's like. I also appreciate that Highland is historically more "hands-on" and it may be that the acceleration of the e-commerce "game" is highlighting some weaknesses in the business model that has worked for Highland for some time now.

I've ordered from Highland in the past, and yes, no tracking numbers, and not as spiffy as other e-retailers, but it seems they recognize this and are upgrading and we all might be in for a surprise when they get better than ever. So I guess if you can't handle the 'creaky' service (no pun intended) then you can choose to spend your money somewhere else, but for me, I'll cut them some slack. RN

Brian Dormer
12-10-2007, 4:42 PM
Folks - I did not intend for this discussion to get so out of hand.

I was in a situation where phoning them would have been problematic. 3 emails to customer service and I got no email response from Highland (and still have not) - I find being ignored unacceptable when I'm spending my hard earned cash. Ultimately, I called them - they were courteous and helpful as could be, considering they didn't have what I had ordered and could not give me an ETA. Had they posted that the item was out of stock AND/OR to call .vs. sending email to customer service (why have an email address if you don't answer it?) - I wouldn't have placed the order to begin with - would not have posted and we wouldn't be where we are now. I ordered what I needed from another vendor, I've got the tracking number and it will be here Wednesday. Case closed.

I RESPECTFULLY REQUEST THAT THE MODERATOR(S) CLOSE (or even delete) THIS THREAD - OR - AT THE VERY LEAST - THAT THE COMMUNITY LET THIS THREAD DIE **NOW**.

Andy Livingston
12-10-2007, 6:18 PM
Isn't it funny how some things get spun so wildly out of control? This was a simple thread that asked a valid question. It sure turned into a passionate discussion!
Back to the shop. Here comes Christmas!!!!

Phil Harding
12-10-2007, 6:42 PM
I guess it's time for me to weigh in also.

I typically deal with Highland Hardware via the internet and I agree fully that their response time certainly ranks them below Amazon, Woodcraft, Rockler, Lee Valley, even some eBay dealers. But, I will continue to buy from them because I know that when I call with a question I get immediate and accurate responses. In that respect I rank them right up there with Lee Valley, Leigh Jigs, Festool, etc.

I live in Milwaukee. Two years ago I made a trip to Atlanta and I made a point to visit their store. All I can say is if they had a store nearby there would be a well worn path from my door to theirs.:)

-- Phil

Heather Thompson
12-10-2007, 6:52 PM
Isn't it funny how some things get spun so wildly out of control? This was a simple thread that asked a valid question. It sure turned into a passionate discussion!
Back to the shop. Here comes Christmas!!!!

Andy,

I do not think this has been spun out of control, just discussed properly, think all is well in the Creek, passion is a good thing.

Heather

Keith Outten
12-10-2007, 9:12 PM
I have made a couple of purchases from Highland Hardware in the past. I called them on the phone and was helped by someone who was very knowlegeble. If I had to wait it would have been worthwhile rather than takling to someone at The Borg who isn't even a woodworker.

I expect they may be a bit old fashioned and probably answer email only when all of their other jobs are caught up. Local business is often primary to other venues with businesses that have been around for a long time.

I have to agree with Phil, if HH was local in my area there would be a path from my door to theirs.

Roger Bell
12-10-2007, 11:24 PM
I have dealt with HH for several years.

I agree that the web site is less functional and user friendly than similar others. In fact, when it was new, it was just plain worthless and they almost lost me for good. There are "standards" that customers expect in internet presentation and in internet ordering. All retailers must abide and keep up with the rising standards. Failing to do so puts them in peril.

I have experienced consistently more backorders and out of stock items than from other major retailers. That's a drag, and I don't care for it. And it is consistent. If they would do better, I would patronize them more.

Their customer service by phone is really quite good to exceptional. Their CS people appear to be WW'ers and understand me. That, to me, is worth something. Quite a lot actually.

Their catalog, while not quite a spiffy and glitzy as others, has a load of worthwhile information that most others lack. That, to me, is worth something. I really appreciate their care in describing their products in detail.

They carry most of the common products found elsewhere and a few exceptional products of their own, such as their band saw blades, among other items.

I have no direct knowledge of what they do in their main store, but from the looks of it, they appear to be quite a resource of teaching and information for WW'ers in the South. Too bad they are in the South. Our Southern friends should consider themselves fortunate to have them. I would definitely visit them if I were ever in Atlanta.

I agree that they need to clearly focus on some substantial improvements where they are needed and to continue to excel in those areas where they do. I do hope that they take our comments positively and build on what they already have to make their enterprise even better.

James Hart
12-10-2007, 11:59 PM
I travelled over 250,000 miles last year consulting with companies to improve their ability to communicate.
Unlike some frequent fliers, I looovvveee Southwest Airlines. Great web site. Great on the phone and in person. Do not accept emails. They know their limitations and stick to what they do well. No apologies. If you're not going to match your other channels in resposiveness don't go there. It waters down everything you do well. Highland might want to consider this.

I will work in a visit to Highland next time I'm in Atlanta. This is a very healthy and valuable discussion.

Jim

Mike Henderson
12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
I travelled over 250,000 miles last year consulting with companies to improve their ability to communicate.
Unlike some frequent fliers, I looovvveee Southwest Airlines. Great web site. Great on the phone and in person. Do not accept emails. They know their limitations and stick to what they do well. No apologies. If you're not going to match your other channels in resposiveness don't go there. It waters down everything you do well. Highland might want to consider this.

I will work in a visit to Highland next time I'm in Atlanta. This is a very healthy and valuable discussion.

Jim
Southwest Airlines are masters of controlling expectations: they tell you quite clearly that you're going to be treated as cattle and they deliver on their promises. However, people are willing to tolerate it because of the low prices.

To extrapolate this business model to Highland, highland would have to sell LN planes for half price.

Mike

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2007, 1:00 PM
I haven't done much, if any, business with Highland but I will remember this thread if I see anything in their catolog. Just the fact that they have knowledgeable people on the other end of the telephone is good enough reason for me to do business with them.
I will also go out of my way to go to a brick and mortar store that has employees that are friendly and know what their talking about. The whole darned world is not based on who can get it to my door the fastest. SHhhhheeeezzzzzzz:eek::)
Gary

Wilbur Pan
12-11-2007, 1:46 PM
Southwest Airlines are masters of controlling expectations: they tell you quite clearly that you're going to be treated as cattle and they deliver on their promises. However, people are willing to tolerate it because of the low prices.

To extrapolate this business model to Highland, Highland would have to sell LN planes for half price.

Mike

Actually, what Highland would have to do is sell, say, Anant planes for a fraction of the price of Lie-Nielsens.

Oh, wait.... (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=660) ;)

Gary Keedwell
12-11-2007, 1:53 PM
Actually, what Highland would have to do is sell, say, Anant planes for a fraction of the price of Lie-Nielsens.

Oh, wait.... (http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=660) ;)
LOL Wilbur, I just checked them out. Have you heard anything about Anant? I'm personally a corded kind of guy but it piqued my interest.;)
Gary

James Hart
12-11-2007, 2:53 PM

To extrapolate this business model to Highland, highland would have to sell LN planes for half price.

Mike

Strictly comparing controlling expectations in the communication process. I'm Chairman level on USAirways (a 'real' airline) as well and Southwest's people run circles around them. Prices are about equal lately.

Brian Dormer
12-11-2007, 5:35 PM
Considering I lit this fire.... and as much as I'd like to bet past this... I have to be fair to Highland.

Today I got an email from Customer Service (10 days after my order, 6 days since I started emailing them) - so they do respond to their email - eventually. And I will admit that, over the phone, they were very easy to deal with (on par with my local WoodCraft store, which is excellent).

I never had a beef with their prices - in fact, I ended up paying a good bit more to get my stuff faster. It's not always about speed - but sometimes it is. Maybe I'm just impatient - I felt that 24-48 hours was about right for a response from Customer Service. When that didn't happen..... the rest is history.

Just as a point of reference, I recently had a question with an order at Lee Valley and sent an email - I had a response within 5 minutes (and this was late on a Saturday evening!) Maybe I'm just spoiled.

Wilbur Pan
12-11-2007, 9:30 PM
LOL Wilbur, I just checked them out. Have you heard anything about Anant? I'm personally a corded kind of guy but it piqued my interest.;)
Gary

I haven't actually used an Anant plane, but based on other users' experiences in that price range I'm more comfortable looking for a used vintage Stanley.

But that's just me. The Anant Kamal range is new, and I've not heard yet how those planes perform.

Brian Dormer
12-13-2007, 4:33 PM
The story isn't quite over -

Yesterday, I got an email from Highland apologizing for them dropping the
ball on my order. The email said that, normally, they do send an "out
of stock" email when an item isn't available for shipment. However, in the "perfect storm" of holiday orders and my small order - things didn't happen the way they were supposed to. They apologized for the delay in customer service replying to my emails. And they are sending me a gift certificate to make up for the situation.

You can't really ask for much better response than that. Problems
will happen, its how you deal with them that counts.

I think we can call this "case closed" at this point.

Heather Thompson
12-13-2007, 9:44 PM
I think this is a class act, maybe not Lee Valley, but real close.

Thank you Brian,

Heather