PDA

View Full Version : Pen Cases

Kevin Cole
12-08-2007, 11:29 AM
I have just started turning pens, and would like to give some as gifts and sell some maybe later on. Anyways, I was wondering if any of you guys have ever made your own cases? Im not talking about the hinged wooden style, I was thinking more unique. I could be thinking too much about this and should just buy the cases from the store like everyone else, but I wanted to see if there were any cool ideas floating around first.

Thanks

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-08-2007, 1:41 PM
Well, Kevin, one idea that strikes me right off the bat: What about something like a cigar case? A long, extended turned box for the pen to be held in. That in and of itself could be a conversation piece...

Hope it helps!

Dean Thomas
12-08-2007, 2:17 PM
We have a friend here in KC who if he were to read this post would immediately think of threading the lid to that cigar tube type case.

I've seen a case somewhere that intrigues me from a flat work standpoint. The lid does indeed hinge, but not from the back. The top is connected to the body of the case with a V shaped piece of wood and the point of the V is the pivot point, connected to the middle bottom of the case so that the top does not flip back, but rather rotates to the back. A little like the Pyramid case from CUSA, but not. Can't find it right off. If I do, I'll repost. Should be pretty easy to make. It's just time that will get us. The cases are pretty cheap considering lumber prices, finishing costs, and time. Just depends on what you want to do and how you want to present your pens. And it pretty much all works! :o

Kenneth Hertzog
12-08-2007, 6:37 PM
Kevin
Yes I've made my own pen boxes. I also included a watch insert or picture insert witchever you wanted. Still have them. No one was willing to pay the price for them. If you want a picture let me know.
ken