PDA

View Full Version : 10 hrs left and counting- $14,100

Brian Weick
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
and I wonder how much higher it will go- stared at $9000,00 ~ this Wadkin wood turning lathe, pattern maker lathe is up for sale on the bay and I listed this earlier in the week ~ it's on the bay type Watkins or Oliver lathes under all categories if your interested in checking it out. Very nice lathe , very nice- the tooling that comes with it is amazing- The only thing that is questionable to me about the Watkins lathe is if it's one of those spray can paint jobs just to make it look pretty and they didn't mention anything in there about that- it definitely has been re-painted in my opinion-although that is one lathe I wouldn't mind having in my shop - love the gap bed feature - just a real heavy weight professional pattern lathe,
the old oliver listed underneath ,that is a big boy as well- but I am not sure if this was made original because of the middle leg support-none the less ,a sweet lathe- both of them-:D.
Brian

Paul Engle
12-08-2007, 1:35 PM
The green one looks original as the leed screw is hard to " add " on to exsisting machinery with out a kit from the manufacturer, and I could not see if there is a joint in it, or if there was a coupling of some sort to add the length of screw, the carrage would have a hard time getting past it ( the coupling) if it were not a factory upgrade etc and if not continuous there would always be a " bump or a jump" at that spot making it a lousy pattern makers lathe. Sweet machines , good luck.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-08-2007, 1:55 PM
Sorry to butt in, but I've a quick question.

I once checked out a library book on ornamental turnery. Is a ``pattern lathe'' the type of lathe used for such?

Sorry for the interruption.

John Shuk
12-08-2007, 4:12 PM
No Henry I think what you are asking about is done on a Rose Engine lathe. There are plans to build one on the AAW website.

Brian Weick
12-08-2007, 10:39 PM
The Wadkins is leavng for another home at $16,900.00 - that was one sweet lathe- wow! from $9000.00 to $16,900- wow! :eek:
Brian

Brian Weick
12-13-2007, 9:08 PM
The green one looks original as the leed screw is hard to " add " on to exsisting machinery with out a kit from the manufacturer, and I could not see if there is a joint in it, or if there was a coupling of some sort to add the length of screw, the carrage would have a hard time getting past it ( the coupling) if it were not a factory upgrade etc and if not continuous there would always be a " bump or a jump" at that spot making it a lousy pattern makers lathe. Sweet machines , good luck.

this lathe is joined at the middle and is not original in my opinion. most of the Olivers that were more that 10' between centers - were not one piece and joined at the middle or in sections depending on the lengths. there is one on Ex factory $17,000 and it is 2 20C's joined together- I talked with the salesman- very smooth carriage from end to end- the spline carriage gear plate is joined together at the 1/2 tooth mark and barely visible . My 20c could have a mate as well - it ends on a 1/2 tooth ,either end. but this Oliver 20A does not look original to me because of the middle leg-
Brian