PDA

View Full Version : New to SMC Greetings all!!!

David Wilhelm
12-08-2007, 8:23 AM
Hello everyone, Most folks around here call me Will due to my last name. I got into turning 3winters ago while laid off from a job helping a whittling buddy make a chess & checkers set. I went out and found a cheap lathe at harbor freight and turned around pieces. Then I found out i needed a wood stove LOL. I'll have to say the 200 i spent on the CM lathe was well worth it for a starter. I've turned several bowls and HVs rows of mushrooms and a few cedar stumps ( yall need to try this is you have not), roots also give up pretty work. I was given an old craftsman pipe lathe last year and i set it up and started turning pens. When folks say I should sell my work I offer them a pen. I trade most of my other turnings for smiles and pies :) I make a lot of my tolls as well. Working on a oval skew made from a spoke from an old horse drawn grain drill. I've upgraded my lathe now to a jet 1442 and just added a 1014 and the craftsman is still going as well. I dont have the digital camera option or many pictures to share but I do have a few and i'll try to enclose one of a piece I really like. I pulled it out of the wood pile, a red oak crotch that had a nice even "Y" look. The tool used to hollow it out I made myself kind of looks like a sorby hollow master but it's a touch bigger and the cutter is made from a cut nail I removed from a 80 year old barn my great grandfather built. Hope you enjoy.

Paul Engle
12-08-2007, 9:05 AM
Welcome David, they say necessity is the mother of invention, and boy you sure prove that ... nice work indeed. Thanks for sharing with us and here's hoping we can learn somthing from you!!! A barn nail ... who'd a thunk it :D I believe that the tools we make sometimes from reserected parts are the best.

Dennis Peacock
12-08-2007, 10:45 AM
Welcome to SMC David. Glad to have ya among "the vortex" of turning. :D

Nice work and keep those pics coming. ;)

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2007, 10:54 AM
Welcome to the Creek David! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2007, 12:55 PM
Welcome David to SMC and the black hole of turning. That is a great looking piece. Hope to see more.

Bill Wyko
12-08-2007, 1:25 PM
welcome David. Nice piece you have there. Look forward to your workings.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-08-2007, 1:50 PM
Welcome, David! That sure is a lovely vase you've shown. I look forward to seeing more, and hope your particular bartering style serves you well!

Tom Sherman
12-08-2007, 2:04 PM
Welcome to the Creek David, you have posted a very nice vase, keep em commin

Dan Forman
12-08-2007, 5:07 PM
Welcome David---I suspect that you do very well in the pie department. :D

That is a wonderful vase, love that wood.

Dan

Ben Gastfriend
12-08-2007, 6:23 PM
Welcome!

The vase is really nice... so is the picture.
Alot of people around here (me) use the excuse "it looks better in person" when describing work in a picture.

I don't think that would work for you, and I don't think you'd even need to use that excuse.

P.S. Most people here like pictures. :D

Paul Heely
12-08-2007, 8:02 PM
Welcome David. Nice looking vase. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.

John Hart
12-08-2007, 8:39 PM
Welcome Will!! A fine group here and we all look forward to lots and lots and lots of pics!!:)

Mike A. Smith
12-08-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome David! If you like turning, you're gonna like it here! Lotsa folks here with tremendous knowledge and experience and lotsa boneheads :o around asking questions to keep'em talking!

Tim Gruss
12-11-2007, 11:55 PM
Welcome David. I really like your vase. The foot as well as the lip are a very nice change from the norm. The piece you used is a beautiful representation of what Oak really looks like. Again welcome and keep them comming.