PDA

View Full Version : hanging a tapestry

Randy Cohen
12-08-2007, 8:15 AM
being the old hippies that we are, my wife and i bought a flowery tapestry to hang on a wall...it was pretty cheap. it is about 10'x7'. it is pretty much just a piece of cloth. any thoughts as to how to hang it?

Mitchell Andrus
12-08-2007, 9:10 AM
Try Googleing a quilter's forum. They're rabid about hanging cloth on the wall.

Cliff Rohrabacher
12-08-2007, 10:13 AM
Use a hard wood dowel the length of the side from which you will hang it. Roll a bit on that dowel, staple several times it or use several tacks in a nice line and hang the dowel.

Jim Becker
12-08-2007, 12:35 PM
What Mitchell said...use the same techniques that are used to hang a quilt. You need a bar that goes the full width of the piece you are hanging plus a few inches so you can mount it on brackets on the wall. (The extra length isn't needed if you use loops on the back of the tapestry/quilt instead of a full width pocket) Oh...and that does mean you need to sew loops or a pocket across the "top" of the piece to hold the bar... ;)

Scott Donley
12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
As any old hippie should know, Thumbtacks, works well for curtains also :) :cool:

Greg Stanford
12-08-2007, 3:19 PM
I have a quilt that I consider a piece of art & that I've had hanging on the walls of various homes for years. At first I used tacks but some years back I had a (then) girlfriend sew a strip of velcro across the top. I glued the corresponding strip to a strip of wood & have since mounted the wood where I want it on the wall & hung the quilt from it. Works very well.

peace.

g