PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Colt palm grip Router

Lawrence Smith
12-07-2007, 8:11 PM
My PC 310 trim router has just about died on me and I was thinking about replacing it with a Bosch PR20EVSK. After reading the negative reviews about it on Amazon.com, I was wondering if any of you Creekers out there are experiencing problems with the Colt? Also, is there a better alternative to the Colt?

Thanks

Alan Turner
12-07-2007, 9:15 PM
We have a variable speed Colt, and it works well. No problems at all.

David Tiell
12-07-2007, 9:15 PM
I love mine. I have the PC also. It's does the job, but the Colt is head and shoulders above it. More powerful and easier to adjust. Don't know about the reviews, as I haven't read them, but like I said, I love mine.

John Padgett
12-07-2007, 9:25 PM
Love mine too. I have the PC, Craftsman, and Colt. Pick up the Colt every time.

Tim Sproul
12-07-2007, 9:32 PM
I have the variable speed colt. I find it performs very well. I got a couple of Pat Warner's bases for it and they make the trimmer much better.

Keith Outten
12-07-2007, 9:33 PM
You'll get no negative comments from me, I love mine and I want at least one more. I have heard that some people are having problems with the lock button breaking and that Bosch was giving away a second wrench to those with the problem. My Colt has been fine but I don't have a tendency to overtighten so the button on mine is OK.

Brian Hale
12-07-2007, 9:59 PM
I got the colt with the installers kit when Amazon had them on sale awhile back and i'm so pleased with it i'm looking for an excuse to buy a second one.

You'll like it alot!

Brian :)

Jamie Buxton
12-07-2007, 10:55 PM
I have a Colt. It works better than the DeWalt I used to have. The height adjustment works well, once you get the hang of it. However, the built-in spindle lock has broken, so it now takes two wrenches to tighten the collet. I've heard that was a common problem on early Colts, and that Bosch was going to fix it.

I can't think of any reason for variable speed on a trim router like this. You're never going to spin big bits fast enough to need it.

Chris Schoolland
12-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I have two, both variable. The second one I got for the offset and tilt bases, which are great. My one complaint: bases not square to the bit. I discovered this during a deep flush trimming application, making precise holes in redwood sauna panels for custom flush lighting. The lights wouldn't fit in the hole until I turned the router 180 degrees and hit it again (removing the lip left from the template to deeper flush trim transition). For everyday use like shallow mortises and roundovers there's no problem, but before doing deeper work the bases need to be shimmed square on mine. Anyone else have that problem?

CHRIS

Jamie Buxton
12-08-2007, 12:29 AM
.. My one complaint: bases not square to the bit. ... Anyone else have that problem?

That seems to be common in laminate trimmers. I had to shim my old DeWalt, but my Bosch was better. My theory is that lamiante trimmers are mostly designed for people using short bits to trim formica edges. They don't care about this issue, so the manufacturers apparently don't either.

Bill Huber
12-08-2007, 1:05 AM
I really like mine, I have had no problems with the lock so far, I have only had it about 6 months so they may have fixed the problem.
I have the V speed and really like it because I can slow it down and not burn my hard maple and purpleheart.
The adjuster is a little tricky to get used to but once you do it is very nice and can be adjusted very easy.
I first got a Ridgid and had to take 2 of them back because they just run to hot to handle.

I have a flyer from Rockler and the Colt is on sale for $119 with a box of bushing and a subbase plate for bushings.
I both and the bushing set is really nice, it has centering bits for 1/4 and 1/2 in. plates.

Ken Garlock
12-08-2007, 1:34 AM
I was one of the unfortunate people that bought a Porter Cable trim router. After destroying several router bits trying to get the bit out of the chuck, I bought the Bosch variable speed Colt. It works very nicely, and I would buy it again in a second.

The only problem I have with it is that it goes where my hands tell it to go, and that is not always what I want done to the laminate.:eek::rolleyes:

Lawrence Smith
12-08-2007, 12:07 PM
I want to thank everyone for sharing with me all of their experiences both positive and negative. After reviewing all of the replies, it seems the problems with the Colt have been minimal. I'll be ordering one shortly. Once again, thanks.

Scott Kilroy
12-08-2007, 12:49 PM
Based on comments from friends I will most likely by a Colt when I have a need for one.

It seems like a lot of Amazon reviews (for tools) are usually pretty off the wall. For example someone gave a pretty good portable table saw a bad review because it wasn't powerful enough to cut hardwoods. Or someone else putting "best ever" in the subject line for some junk black and decker product then mentioned in the review "I've never used a used a jigsaw before but it cut up Sheetrock like it was butter"

Bruce Page
12-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Mine has been trouble free up until the last time I used it when I could not get the spindle lock to engage at all. It’s not a show stopper, just annoying.
Other than that, it has been a good little router.

John Newell
12-08-2007, 9:31 PM
I bought a factory refurb from CPO. It was DOA! I was in disbelief so before sending it back I figured I'd open it up and take a look. Found a disconnected power lead (!!!), so I connected it and put it back together. NG, still dead. Opened it up again, looked around some more, found a SECOND lead disconnected. Connected that one, and it's been great ever since. Sometime I want someone to explain to me what kind of factory refurbishment mine got!