PDA

View Full Version : ID'ing loose router bits

Monte Milanuk
12-07-2007, 7:08 PM
Hello,

Somewhere along the line a bunch of my router bits got mixed togther. I can generally sort the different types from one another (i.e. straight from cove from round-over, etc.) but I'm kind of struggling with figuring out which profile is which in terms of size... i.e. 1/4, 3/16, 3/8/, 5/16, 1/2" round-over, etc. I don't actually have all those sizes, but I have a couple bits that I got within the last couple years (Porter-Cable brand) that have me stumped as to what size they are supposed to be. I thought the numbers etched on the shank would bring up something in a search on PC's website, but no joy there. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I've got a couple ideas percolating around in the ole' noggin for measuring the profile radius, but I'd like to see if anyone has a better idea.

I'm *definitely* making a better bit storage system after the X-mas projects are done!

Thanks,

Monte

George Bregar
12-07-2007, 7:13 PM
Hello,

Somewhere along the line a bunch of my router bits got mixed togther. I can generally sort the different types from one another (i.e. straight from cove from round-over, etc.) but I'm kind of struggling with figuring out which profile is which in terms of size... i.e. 1/4, 3/16, 3/8/, 5/16, 1/2" round-over, etc. I don't actually have all those sizes, but I have a couple bits that I got within the last couple years (Porter-Cable brand) that have me stumped as to what size they are supposed to be. I thought the numbers etched on the shank would bring up something in a search on PC's website, but no joy there. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. I've got a couple ideas percolating around in the ole' noggin for measuring the profile radius, but I'd like to see if anyone has a better idea.

I'm *definitely* making a better bit storage system after the X-mas projects are done!

Thanks,

Monte Can't you just use a rule? :confused: Should be simple.

Mike Marcade
12-07-2007, 7:18 PM
Also a radius gauge, if you have access to one, would work. Or you could use a drill bit of the right size to size up the radius. Or you could measure the red line:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=76626&stc=1&d=1197073993

Then do some math: Approximate Radius = (Red Line Length).707 Of course this only works if you have a full 90 degrees of radius you are measuring.

Gary Keedwell
12-07-2007, 8:32 PM
Can't you just use a rule? :confused: Should be simple.
Just keep putting drill bit into your router bit until you have a match. Take a 1/2 inch bit and put it to your router bit...if it fits real good, you have a 1/4 round-over bit. If a 1/4 inch drill bit fits snug into a router bit ...then it is a 1/8" round-over bit. :)
Gary

Monte Milanuk
12-07-2007, 8:38 PM
The drill bit idea sounds like a winner. I'd been thinking along the lines of what Marc suggested, but the drill bits sound quicker/easier. ;)

Thanks,

Monte

Mike Marcade
12-07-2007, 8:41 PM
The drill bit idea sounds like a winner. I'd been thinking along the lines of what Marc suggested, but the drill bits sound quicker/easier. ;)

Thanks,

Monte

I suggested the drill bits first! :p

Monte Milanuk
12-07-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah, but my eye was drawn to the nifty pictures (thanks!) in your post. ;)

Thanks to all,

Monte

Mike Marcade
12-08-2007, 12:03 AM
Thats okay. My feeling aren't hurt. :D