PDA

View Full Version : My first jumper

TYLER WOOD
12-07-2007, 6:55 PM
I was trying out my new SN2 chuck last night. Just had to....Well I got a really dry old piece of wood turned it round, put a tenon on it (got it a little short):rolleyes:. Turned out the wood was actually kinda nice inside. Had some different color and some nice grain patterns. Well the short tenon did me it. Tore it off when I was trying to hollow the thing off. It Shot off and bounded around a couple times and hit me in the shin to finish out. No damage, except to the bowl and my ego. Almost made it the entire first year of turning with no bouncers!!! Oh well, chuck another one up tonight!!!:cool:

Harvey M. Taylor
12-07-2007, 7:44 PM
Ye1po, Tyler, if the horse bucks you off, get right back on. Way to go. Max

William Bachtel
12-07-2007, 8:19 PM
If the horse bucks you off, learn how to ride.

Raymond Overman
12-07-2007, 8:32 PM
You win some, you lose some, a few get rained out. Glad you weren't hurt.

Alex Elias
12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
Glad you are ok. I have nothing flying of mine jet, but I made pens for the most part. I just got to turn a bit bigger items. I hope I don't get a flying saucer soon

Steve Schlumpf
12-08-2007, 12:00 AM
Tyler - I've launched a few and it can get real exciting in a hurry! Glad you didn't get hurt - stuff happens!

Bernie Weishapl
12-08-2007, 12:22 AM
Glad you are ok Tyler. Get back on the horse and get'r done.

David Wilhelm
12-08-2007, 1:40 AM
Short may have not been your problem. The diameter may have been the key. the max of both may have not saved your work either. I'm new here and pretty new to turning this being my 3rd winter. I've turned a lot of spaulted, weak, rotten, ant infested woods, stumps ect. When chucking a soft blank i'll soak the tenon with several coats of CA glue this will give it some added strength. Just remeber it's just firewood :) I hope to find my way around on here and share more with each of you.

Jim Becker
12-08-2007, 6:03 AM
Ouch, but "stuff happens"...

Did you have a shoulder for the top of the chuck jaws to seat against? You really don't need a long tenon...it doesn't add much...but not having a shoulder does decrease the holding power meaningfully.

Henry C. Gernhardt, III
12-08-2007, 1:37 PM
Glad you weren't hurt, Tyler!

Ben Gastfriend
12-08-2007, 10:55 PM
Think of it the "half-full" way:

At least it didn't hit you in the head. :eek:

Oh well, try again... and we look forward to seeing a picture of it...:)

Pat Doble
12-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Glad you're OK.

I had a batch of spalted/rotting birch that I wish I could have earned frequent flier miles on.

John Hart
12-09-2007, 7:29 AM
First one this year??? Sheesh! I'd have to say Congratulations!!!
Had one fly up and hit me in the face the other day. I thanked my faceshield for being there for me...then said some choice words to the hollowform that hit me....Then reassured myself that I was not to blame...in any way, shape, or form.;)