PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Table For Church.

Bob Oehler
12-07-2007, 6:00 PM
Hi all:
I know I am going to get the picture police after me. No Pic's it did not happen ;)

I had a snow day from my teaching gig so it was time to hit the shop.

I just started a cherry table to hold the communion glass holders for our church. We are building a new sanctuary and up until now we have used 2 T.V. snack trays to hold the glass holders. Our dedication is Jan 19th and I wanted to suprise the Pastor with the table on dedication day.

Some spec's about the table
it's 18 X 30 and will stand approx 32" tall. It has a 7/8" thick top and 5" skirts. The legs are 1-3/4 with a taper on the inside edges only to 7/8 X 7/8 The wood has been drying in my shop for 4 years since a very nice cherry tree came down. Got a band mill in and made some planks.

Today milled the top down to 1" and glued it up in my nice warm shop. Milled the skirts and cut them to width and a little long. Started on the legs getting the stock out and chopped off to 35" for milling. I will make the legs on the next shop session.

I am going to finish the table in BLO (many coats) and then wax.

I will snap some pic's next time I am in the shop. Promise ;)

Well Let me Run
Got to make dinner.

Take care and Happy woodworking.

Brian Kent
12-07-2007, 6:24 PM
Bob,

That's really great. The furniture in church catalogues can be ridiculously expensive. To have something that is beautiful and personal AND handmade is really great. Plus you get the advantage of feeling an additional personal connection everytime communion is served.

Thank you for doing this and I hope you really have a good time!

John Timberlake
12-07-2007, 9:21 PM
Great idea. Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

Bob Oehler
12-10-2007, 11:14 PM
Ok for the pic police here are a few pic's of some of the parts to the table. These will not be a step by step photo story just some asst pic's to give a little show and tell.

There are pic's showing the skirt wood on the rough sawn legs. There are 2 pictures of the top. Two of the legs squared up and after tapering. Most of the wood is quarter saw with some figure to it. I can't wait to see what the top finishes out as. :rolleyes:

Take Care
Bob Oehler

Bob Oehler
12-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Table Progress:
I finished up the overall length of the legs and I am now going to start on putting in the mortices for the skirts. After this is complete, I will start on the tennions for the skirts. I will be working some this weekend in the shop. Who knows I may actually get most of the table done. We can dream.

Take care
Bob O.