PDA

View Full Version : She said new "Bed"... and on the 40th day

John Thompson
12-07-2007, 5:10 PM
Around mid October she was asked what she wanted for Xmas? "A new bed" was the reply. What type.. color.. etc. "Not too light and not too dark. Not too delicate and not too masculine. Not fancy, but not plain. And I want a dropped book shelf behind the pillows for the novels I read at night". I never question her call... if that's what she wants... that what she usually gets.

She's so easy to please! On October 29th the bed was designed and the lumber was procured. Cut down to length that afternoon and saw the jointer and planer the next day. Two weeks of construction.. a week of sanding, burnishing and detailing joints.. two weeks of finish to allow the oil to cure properly before the coat of wax.

And on the 40th day the first bed I have ever made was delivered. As most of what I have designed, not museum pieces ( I applaud those that have that talent) but simple, functional, sturdy pieces built to serve a purpose now and long after I turn out the lights in my shop the final time.

And when ask how she liked it as she was not allowed in the shop... "I absoulutely love it sweet-heart... and you're going to make a low and tall chest of drawers to compliment it". A big hug and kiss and off she went to take care of whatever foxy ladies take care of.

So.. the "judge" had ruled and pronounced the sentence. Another 60 days in the "hole" with hard labor! The Cavalry saddles back up and rides again on Monday it appears. Nobody warned me of price you will pay for love of wood and love of women! Go figure.... ;)

Sorry.. as my photo skills are even worse than my WW ability. Don't know much about either, but.....

Sarge...

GERALD HARGROVE
12-07-2007, 5:31 PM
Nice job on the bed. If the Boss is happy all is well. It appears you met all of her requirments, and did a fine job in the process.

Chris Padilla
12-07-2007, 5:41 PM
She's a beaut, Sarge! Ash or Oak? Queen-size?

I'm a big "read books in bed" kind of guy so I'd need a more solid headrest but I suppose I could stuff a couple pillows into the shelf on my side and be comfy!

Nice Xmas gift...wish some folks could stick to a reasonable timeline like yourself! :)

Bob Oehler
12-07-2007, 5:50 PM
Very Nice:
I like the look and style. It not too dark, not to light, not to manley etc. Just like Goldilox. It's Just Right :)

Keep us informed about the dressers etc. It will be nice to see how the whole bedroom comes together.

Very Nice Work.
Enjoy the next 60 days in the shop.

Best Whishes
Bob Oehler

Mark Rios
12-07-2007, 8:42 PM
Very nice John BUT..........

Sounds like you need some more new tools now, eh? :D:D:D

John Thompson
12-07-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice job on the bed. If the Boss is happy all is well. It appears you met all of her requirments, and did a fine job in the process.

Thank you Gerald and oh yeah.. she's happy enough to add a shallow hope chest in front of the foot-board to the wish (you better or else) list. I suppose it does keep me off the street and out of trouble. :)

Sarge..

John Thompson
12-07-2007, 10:53 PM
She's a beaut, Sarge! Ash or Oak? Queen-size?

I'm a big "read books in bed" kind of guy so I'd need a more solid headrest but I suppose I could stuff a couple pillows into the shelf on my side and be comfy!

Nice Xmas gift...wish some folks could stick to a reasonable timeline like yourself! :)

Thanks Chris...

Simple Red Oak "tricked out" a little with sanding.. burnishings and Danish oil..

She uses a double pillow under her head and has some kind of "thing-a-ma-jiggy" that rest on her chest that holds the book. Kind of like one of those music "thingy's" that holds the sheet music, etc.

Sarge..

John Thompson
12-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Very Nice:
I like the look and style. It not too dark, not to light, not to manley etc. Just like Goldilox. It's Just Right :)

Keep us informed about the dressers etc. It will be nice to see how the whole bedroom comes together.

Very Nice Work.
Enjoy the next 60 days in the shop.

Best Whishes
Bob Oehler

Thanks Bob...

"Goldilox" would be a good description as the bed is done with "Golden Oak" danish oil over purposely burnished wood. Expect both chest to take about 30 days each if there are no detours and there will be some for sure.

I have already done leaves once and tomorrow sees the second of 3 major blowings onto a 20 x 20 tarp to drag to the street. Takes almost a day each time even with a Stilh leaf-blower as I am surrounded on the perimeter with hard-woods. Xmas and family will be one of the obstacles that can be factored... so hopefully mid Febuary if the cards fall into a reasonable order.

Sarge..

John Thompson
12-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Very nice John BUT..........

Sounds like you need some more new tools now, eh? :D:D:D

Thanks Mark...

Tools are probably out of the question as I have been accumulating them since 1972. Not much I don't already have or need at this point. So.. I have to produce to justify what has already been accumulated.

I have already built two sets of house-hold furniture (but never a bed) that now reside at addresses other than mine if you know what I mean. This is what I hope to be the last "Hoo-ray". Nineteen years and all systems "Go" so far. Maybe the third was a charm! ;)

Sarge..

Mike Marcade
12-08-2007, 12:30 AM
When my wife says "bed" ... building one is not the first thing that crosses my mind. :D

Skyp Nelson
12-08-2007, 8:13 AM
I love it, "less is more" design. Someday I hope to reach your level.

josh bjork
12-08-2007, 11:02 AM
I'm impressed. It is hard to make any sort of design.

John Thompson
12-08-2007, 2:36 PM
Thanks Josh and Skyp... blowing leaves today and tomorrow. Saw-dust flys again on Monday!

Sarge..

Greg Cole
12-10-2007, 9:17 AM
Sarge,
Well done sir. Projects completed for the LOYL are top priority for the future of the hobby.... and if she keeps adding to "the list" there's no reason for you to not keep making her happy...right? Justification for shop time if nothing else..... :D

Cheers,

Greg

John Thompson
12-10-2007, 1:47 PM
Thanks Greg... with the post someone just made about the state of LV, that hand plane I sold you may be going up in price soon.

Again... thanks mucho and enjoy the #6

Sarge..